for those who know Mandarin was it worth it?

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

for those who know Mandarin was it worth it?

Postby akikaki1 » 21 Apr 2012, 08:26

Was it worth the time and effort? How did it affect your life in Taiwan?
akikaki1
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Re: for those who know Mandarin was it worth it?

Postby Gryphon » 21 Apr 2012, 09:39

akikaki1 wrote:Was it worth the time and effort? How did it affect your life in Taiwan?

Yes, it's worth learning Chinese...unless you don't mind signing legal documents that you can't read or getting swindled.
It's also easier to talk to people when you can communicate in their language.
Gryphon
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

31 Recommends(s)
50 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 21 Apr 2012, 09:54

Gryphon wrote:
akikaki1 wrote:Was it worth the time and effort? How did it affect your life in Taiwan?

Yes, it's worth learning Chinese...unless you don't mind signing legal documents that you can't read or getting swindled.

I've lived in Taiwan for 11 years, and I've never signed a "legal document" that wasn't translated into English. As for getting "swindled", sorry, hasn't happened yet.

Well, that's reciprocal, isn't it? Anyway, I rarely talk to people I don't know. They don't interest me.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper

This post was recommended by creztor (21 Apr 2012, 11:15)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1042 Recommends(s)
389 Recognized(s)

Postby akikaki1 » 21 Apr 2012, 10:03

jimipresley wrote:
Gryphon wrote:

I've lived in Taiwan for 11 years, and I've never signed a "legal document" that wasn't translated into English. As for getting "swindled", sorry, hasn't happened yet.

Well, that's reciprocal, isn't it? Anyway, I rarely talk to people I don't know. They don't interest me.

So for you was it worth while learning mando?
akikaki1

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 21 Apr 2012, 10:07

jimipresley wrote:
Gryphon wrote:

Fuckin Jimi, always nailing it. :bravo:

What kind of 'legal documents' are people singing and getting swindled on? NDAs? Rep Agreements? Rental agreements? Work contracts? etc... And if they are important why are you signing them without a lawyer or a translated copy? That is reckless and stupid. This is not a language issue, it is a common sense one.

Regarding the putong-hua, I think most of us study for a while, get to a functional level (where we can handle our daily shit, chat with a cabbie, have a few Mandarin speaking friends, pick up chicks etc...) and then we basically curtail our studies and add to our Mandarin by picking things up as we go along. Sure we'd all love to be fluent but for most of us it isn't a necessity, an asset of course, but a necessity...no.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

93 Recommends(s)
467 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 21 Apr 2012, 10:18

akikaki1 wrote:So for you was it worth while learning mando?

Did you read my post?
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1042 Recommends(s)
389 Recognized(s)

Postby akikaki1 » 21 Apr 2012, 10:28

jimipresley wrote:
akikaki1 wrote:So for you was it worth while learning mando?

Did you read my post?

Still wasn't sure if you thought it was worthwhile lol.
akikaki1

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 21 Apr 2012, 12:36

The problem with learning mando in taiwan is that essentially its not essential you can speak it and therein is quintessentially your problem.

Besides mando f*cks up your english anyway.

Still i cant fathom not speaking and understanding mando and livin on the wan for say ten anos.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

613 Recommends(s)
381 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 21 Apr 2012, 13:24

For me, yes, it was worth it. I love learning languages, and came to Taiwan just to become fluent in Mandarin.
It affected my life greatly -- the ability to converse fluently with locals, the friendships I made in the process, the ability to read signs, packages and menus -- all greatly improved my experience.
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!

This post was recommended by akikaki1 (21 Apr 2012, 13:29)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 21 Apr 2012, 13:53

Well, it may have been more time than I was willing to invest in a single language but it has made my life in Taiwan easier in every way, since being able to maneuver independently, keep up with what happens around you by yourself and not depend on third parties "understanding" is priceless. Not easy, won't be a fast return investment, but it works so far.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

757 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Learning Chinese