for those who know Mandarin was it worth it?

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Re: for those who know Mandarin was it worth it?

Postby Mawvellous » 22 Apr 2012, 21:03

How do people deal with everyday chores without knowing some Mandarin?

I don't think anyone at my local bank speaks English, and when I want to do anything there are forms to be filled out in Chinese. I can use the internet banking, but that is available in Chinese only.
If I want to book accommodation somewhere, the website is often only in Chinese. My landlord doesn't speak English and the rental contract is in Chinese. My scooter mechanic doesn't speak English. The local restaurants don't have English menus and no one speaks English. If I need some repairs doing, the local plumber-electrician guy doesn't speak English. I suppose I could get my girlfriend to do everything for me, but she is very busy, and I would prefer to do these things myself.
Mawvellous
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

2 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 22 Apr 2012, 21:22

mike029 wrote:Chinese is difficult because it... uses a ideographic writing system

The character 女 is a vagina.

Where do you dig up such nonsense? :roflmao:
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby antarcticbeech » 22 Apr 2012, 21:31

友 is John Holmes though, right?
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

154 Recommends(s)
136 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 22 Apr 2012, 21:50

This is kind of a roundabout question, because those who speak fluent Mandarin are going to tell you it was worth it and those who don't are going to say 'Nah, you can get by just fine without it.'

As one of the former, I think you should learn it. Maybe you don't NEED it in your life, but quality of life-wise it's much better. Life is easier. Taiwan is a different country when you can understand what everyone around you is saying and talk to them. A language also introduces you to a way of thinking, and when you understand the majority way of thinking life is easier for obvious reasons (things make sense, in whatever twisted way, and you know how to react to situations appropriately). (Maybe I should say 'method of reasoning' rather than 'way of thinking', but it's something like that. Language DOES play a large part in how you shape your thoughts, and culture even more so.)

When you can partake in a society 100%, you can enjoy 100% of what the society has to offer. If you can only partake 30 or 40%, then you're naturally limiting yourself. Some people are OK with that and have a fun life in that 30 or 40% of society. I kind of go mental if I can't read all the street signs (maybe I'm over-nosy?) so regardless of where I lived, I'd end up fluent in the local lingo pretty quickly - I just wouldn't consider functioning without it an option.
tsukinodeynatsu

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby mike029 » 22 Apr 2012, 22:12

Dragonbones wrote:
mike029 wrote:Chinese is difficult because it... uses a ideographic writing system

The character 女 is a vagina.

Where do you dig up such nonsense? :roflmao:

Tell me that doesn't look like a vagina.
mike029
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 22 Apr 2012, 22:23

If I remember rightly, it's supposed be a woman kneeling and possibly holding a baby.
tsukinodeynatsu

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 22 Apr 2012, 22:25

Mike, no, not to me. Besides, it doesn't matter what it looks like to you. What matters, in many cases, is what the character looked like at the beginning (e.g. Shang dynasty oracle bones and script on bronzes; not what it looked like well over a millenium later, as in the pic you posted), what the earliest recorded meanings were, and how those two can be connected and made sense of. In other cases, characters don't resemble what they mean now, and possibly not even back then, because they are being used in the form of phonetic loans, representing a spoken word by way of its sound (and thus are not ideographs). jiu3, 'nine' is a case in point; it is pretty clearly a phonetic loan from a depiction of an elbow.

On nǚ nü3 ㄋㄩˇ (also ru3): Shuōwén defines 女 as 婦人也fùrén ‘woman; wife’ (not 'vagina'). There is no usage in the oracle bones (OB) for 'vagina' as far as I know, either. The OB graph is pretty clear in depicting a person kneeling, with hands crossed in front, almost identical to the graph for 母 mǔ ‘mother’, with the latter having the addition of two dots for the breasts, quite obviously a woman, with breasts emphasized; thus, the former is obviously a kneeling woman. There's a related graph showing the woman holding an infant, as tsukinodeynatsu mentions. There's no significant disagreement among modern scholars over this. Note that the modern forms of the graphs 母 and 女 are both rotated, as, starting in the clerical version, the hands are at the bottom, resembling legs in 女, while the horizontal stroke in each is the original head-torso-leg line. Such rotation is not uncommon for that period, and has been preserved in numerous modern graphs.

It's silly to look at a late (e.g. seal script or modern) graph and imagine what it looks like to you, and come up with baseless conjecture. That's the method behind most of the bullshit folk etymology copied blindly in coffee-table books purporting to explain the Chinese characters. Such books are generally a waste of money.

On ideographs, please read "The Chinese Language: Fact and Fantasy" (DeFrancis).
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 22 Apr 2012, 22:29

mike029 wrote:

You obviously haven't seen many vaginas.

It looks like a bloke without a head dancing at Luxy.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper

This post was recommended by Tempo Gain (22 Apr 2012, 22:34)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

985 Recommends(s)
371 Recognized(s)

Postby mike029 » 22 Apr 2012, 22:35

Dragonbones wrote:Mike, no, not to me. Besides, it doesn't matter what it looks like to you. What matters is what the character looked like at the beginning (e.g. Shang dynasty oracle bones and script on bronzes), what the earliest recorded meanings were, and how those two can be connected and made sense of.

On nu:3 (ru3): Shuōwén defines 女 as 婦人也fùrén ‘woman; wife’ (not 'vagina'). There is no usage in the oracle bones (OB) for 'vagina' as far as I know, either. The OB graph is pretty clear in depicting a person kneeling, with hands crossed in front, almost identical to the graph for 母 mǔ ‘mother’, with the latter having the addition of two dots for the breasts, quite obviously a woman, with breasts emphasized; thus, the former is obviously a kneeling woman. There's a related graph showing the woman holding an infant, as tsukinodeynatsu mentions. There's no significant disagreement among modern scholars over this. Note that the modern forms of the graphs 母 and 女 are both rotated, as, starting in the clerical version, the hands are at the bottom, resembling legs in 女, while the horizontal stroke in each is the original head-torso-leg line. Such rotation is not uncommon for that period, and has been preserved in numerous modern graphs.

It's silly to look at a late (e.g. seal script or modern) graph and imagine what it looks like to you, and come up with baseless conjecture. That's the method behind most of the bullshit folk etymology copied blindly in coffee-table books purporting to explain the Chinese characters. Such books are generally a waste of money.

On ideographs, please read "The Chinese Language: Fact and Fantasy" (DeFrancis).

That book sounds interesting, I'll check it out! Actually, it was my teacher at Shi-Da who said it was a vagina, so she probably doesn't know what she's talking about. I'll admit when I'm wrong. In retrospect, maybe it was said as a joke...she messed around a lot in class. I googled "女 character vagina" and this thread came up as result number 4...google works fast! I still think the older form looks like a vagina, though. :lol:
mike029

3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 22 Apr 2012, 22:38

jimipresley wrote:
mike029 wrote:

You obviously haven't seen many vaginas.

It looks like a bloke without a head dancing at Luxy.

What are you on about? It's obvious that it's supposed to look like The Saint (or perhaps the other way round, my history ain't too hot):

Having said that, Roger Moore was a bit of a cunt.

This post was recommended by Taffy (23 Apr 2012, 09:29)
Rating: 5.88%
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Learning Chinese