Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Learning Japanese in Taiwan

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Learning Japanese in Taiwan

Postby Katakaio » 05 May 2012, 17:04

Hello Forumosans!

I would like to ask if anyone has any recommendations regarding studying Japanese while in Taiwan- particular schools, tutors, books, proficiency tests, anything.

1. I live in Taipei (Xinzhuang/New Taipei City, specifically).
2. I studied Chinese for about 3 years in the US and went to China for a month... my spoken Chinese isn't bad, considering how my vocabulary has atrophied, but a year of non-use after college really diminished my abilities quite a bit.
3. I'm working as a buxiban laoshi with HESS, and making decent money at it. I work evenings from around 4pm to 9pm on average. I've been in Taiwan for a total of about 3 months now. I don't plan to be here any longer than 2 years.
4. I studied Japanese in the US for about a year, getting through 105 and 106 classes, which are roughly 2/3 of the Genki I book that most American colleges use. So it's not totally alien to me, although admittedly I'm super rusty.

I also have a general question regarding college credits vs proficiency test scores. I don't know what Japanese proficiency tests are out there, but what do you think would look more impressive, a solid test score or the credits of college classes? In other words... to appeal to employers, do I really need to spend money on the college courses or can I learn other ways and still not miss out on job opportunities? Right now, my plan is to continue teaching English as I island hop from here to Japan.

Thanks for reading!

D
Katakaio
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

Re: Learning Japanese in Taiwan

Postby Katakaio » 05 May 2012, 17:05

Also, I apologize in advance for posting this in the Chinese Language section, but it seemed the most pertinent place to post =] .
Katakaio
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

Postby Confuzius » 05 May 2012, 17:10

Alot of the adult buxibans that teach English also have Japanese classes and theyre definitely cheaper and more flexible than going to a college.

I would imagine they also have specific classes geared towards proficiency tests, just like they do for ESL.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby Katakaio » 05 May 2012, 18:29

Do you know of any adult buxiban companies that are any good/of note? I know that HESS does adult courses but it isn't as big due to their more "kiddy" branding. They have an adult class, but it's in the evening, which I can't do. My evening work hours make going with a buxiban kind of difficult, I think...also, Japanese doesn't seem very big here, so I might have to travel a bit. I don't mind traveling within Taipei, though. Xinzhuang can get kinda stale after awhile.

I'd prefer a more dynamic teaching style to what's typical in Chinese classrooms, but of course I realize I'm in Taiwan now and I accept that the teaching culture is just different.

Keep it coming!
Katakaio
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

Postby Icon » 05 May 2012, 20:40

I think Fu Jen has extension language courses, open to everybody. That should be good.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

680 Recommends(s)
541 Recognized(s)

Postby Katakaio » 05 May 2012, 21:29

Icon wrote:I think Fu Jen has extension language courses, open to everybody. That should be good.

Noted. Not to be lazy, but do they have staff that can speak English?
Katakaio
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 05 May 2012, 21:45

Katakaio wrote:Do you know of any adult buxiban companies that are any good/of note? I know that HESS does adult courses but it isn't as big due to their more "kiddy" branding. They have an adult class, but it's in the evening, which I can't do. My evening work hours make going with a buxiban kind of difficult, I think...also, Japanese doesn't seem very big here

Japanese is pretty big here and my wife and many of her friends study it. I studied it at uni for a couple of years a long time ago but have forgotten most of it.

I'm using an online system http://iknow.jp/home to study Chinese, and as you can see from the URL, it's actually a Japan based company. They also have Japanese. I did a one month free trial and now I'm happy to pay JPY1000 a month to use it. I highly recommend it.

As a language teacher, the last thing I want to do at the end of the day is go to language class.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

81 Recommends(s)
161 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 05 May 2012, 22:14

Katakaio wrote:Do you know of any adult buxiban companies that are any good/of note? I know that HESS does adult courses but it isn't as big due to their more "kiddy" branding. They have an adult class, but it's in the evening, which I can't do. My evening work hours make going with a buxiban kind of difficult, I think...also, Japanese doesn't seem very big here, so I might have to travel a bit. I don't mind traveling within Taipei, though. Xinzhuang can get kinda stale after awhile.

I'd prefer a more dynamic teaching style to what's typical in Chinese classrooms, but of course I realize I'm in Taiwan now and I accept that the teaching culture is just different.

Keep it coming!

Global Village, maybe GJUN too (the first I know has Japanese and are supposed to be perty good)
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby grandfeller » 05 May 2012, 23:02

Katakaio wrote:I don't know what Japanese proficiency tests are out there, but what do you think would look more impressive, a solid test score or the credits of college classes? In other words... to appeal to employers, do I really need to spend money on the college courses or can I learn other ways and still not miss out on job opportunities?

The Japanese government has standardized language tests for foreigners to establish their proficiency level. The tests are administered in various locations globally. Proven proficiency through these tests will be worth more than a college transcript showing you took language courses. In a language course, some students excell, some barely get by. While standardized tests aren't perfect, they're a better measure of your ability than course credits.
grandfeller
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

12 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby Katakaio » 05 May 2012, 23:49

grandfeller wrote:The Japanese government has standardized language tests for foreigners to establish their proficiency level. The tests are administered in various locations globally. Proven proficiency through these tests will be worth more than a college transcript showing you took language courses. In a language course, some students excell, some barely get by. While standardized tests aren't perfect, they're a better measure of your ability than course credits.

This is actually good to hear, as it broadens my options a bit more. I don't have very specific plans yet, but I intend to acquire gainful employment in Japan sometime in the next few years, probably English teaching. Hopefully the couple years of experience I will have (and Japanese proficiency) by the time I decide to "island hop" will be good enough to get a job.

I appreciate the recommendation of the online resource, I will definitely have to check it out. With Chinese, my issues are primarily reading, writing and listening. My pronunciation/tones are fairly solid, at least within the common words and phrases I use.
Katakaio
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Learning Chinese