Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

How To Have a "Taiwan Guoyu" Accent to Your Taiwan Mandarin

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Re: How To Have a "Taiwan Guoyu" Accent to Your Taiwan Mandarin

Postby Teddoman » 14 May 2012, 01:49

shengou wrote:
tommy525 wrote:A heavy taiwanese accented mando is like hillbilly english. All in all, its better to learn to speak "taipei mando" then taike mando.

I don't know about Teddoman, but the only reason why I do this is for joking around. I don't go around all day speaking Taiwan guoyu. When I want to eat something, I might say to my girlfriend, "Ni yao cu suh-mo?"

I plan to run for president of Taiwan using the Chen Shui Bian accent :)
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 14 May 2012, 05:27

shengou wrote:
Feiren wrote:It should be more like the /e/ as in egg. The /e/ in Jen is the same as the e in the English 'Jenny'. But by itself. 'e' is like the /ə/ as in the. For example, e4 'hungry, starving' is quite different from the 'e' in Zhen, Wen, or Ben.

I notice that all of these problem words end in 'n'. The Mandarin 'n' ends earlier than the English n. The tongue stays on the palate and is not released.

Mandarin speakers with Taiwanese-inflected Mandarin pronounce these differently. But these speakers very rarely correct others since (a) they know their Mandarin is 'non-standard' and (b) they are either (1) proud of their non-standard pronunciation or (2) don't care.

Unless your pronunciation of egg and Jen is different from mine, zhen doesn't sound anything like Jen to me. That en sound sounds more like the un in under to me.

I found a website with all the sounds.
http://www.newconceptmandarin.com/learn ... inyin.aspx

Go to the Mandarin pronunciation table and you can click on all of the sounds. Go to z and find zhen.
I've clicked that about 50 times now, haha.

Oh gosh, why did I think I'd come on here and get one straight answer? :lol:
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

84 Recommends(s)
86 Recognized(s)

Postby Teddoman » 16 May 2012, 00:07

Petrichor wrote:
shengou wrote:Unless your pronunciation of egg and Jen is different from mine, zhen doesn't sound anything like Jen to me. That en sound sounds more like the un in under to me.

Go to the Mandarin pronunciation table and you can click on all of the sounds. Go to z and find zhen.

Hey, at least they have websites for learning proper Mandarin pronunciation.

There are no websites for people trying to learn the improper Taiwan goyee of a heavily accented 70 year old.
Teddoman

ORIGINAL POSTER
12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 16 May 2012, 06:25

Teddoman wrote:
Petrichor wrote:
shengou wrote:Unless your pronunciation of egg and Jen is different from mine, zhen doesn't sound anything like Jen to me. That en sound sounds more like the un in under to me.

Hey, at least they have websites for learning proper Mandarin pronunciation.

There are no websites for people trying to learn the improper Taiwan goyee of a heavily accented 70 year old.

I don't think there is a proper way to pronounce Mandarin, is there? Despite what PAVC is trying to do to me. (I'm ditching that series at the end of this book, I swear.) There are just different accents, the same as English.

I think I'll learn to speak like a Taiwan goyee, just to confuse everyone.

Thanks to all who responded to my question.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

84 Recommends(s)
86 Recognized(s)

Postby dahsiung » 16 May 2012, 20:47

My very first Mandarin teacher was my host father, a 50ish man born and raised in Tainan. Although I've had other teachers since then, every once and awhile, I'll pronounce a word like he would. To this day, my wife and her family will joke about how we were driving together in the country and I was giving directions and said, with a straight face, "Zu zu zou."
That is "drive straight" or "zhi zou" but I honestly believed that was how it was pronounced.
** Try to Laugh **
** Try to Smile **
** Try not to Cry **
** And enjoy your life **
*** Oh, and drink some tea ***
dahsiung
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

4 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Learning Chinese