How To Have a "Taiwan Guoyu" Accent to Your Taiwan Mandarin

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Re: How To Have a "Taiwan Guoyu" Accent to Your Taiwan Mandarin

Postby finley » 12 May 2012, 11:56

Chris wrote:A: O-men go-ja dei hua-zan su zongyao dei
B: Su, a!

haha .. the farmer who owns the field next to me talks like that. I can barely understand a word he's saying, and I certainly wouldn't want to replicate it. I'll probably always have a weird foreigner accent, and that's fine with me.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
 
Posts: 5669
Joined: 20 Jan 2011, 23:34
752 Recommends(s)
586 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: How To Have a "Taiwan Guoyu" Accent to Your Taiwan Mandarin

Postby tommy525 » 12 May 2012, 12:53

A heavy taiwanese accented mando is like hillbilly english. All in all, its better to learn to speak "taipei mando" then taike mando.
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 17700
Joined: 14 Sep 2006, 17:25
Location: calif baby !
514 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: How To Have a "Taiwan Guoyu" Accent to Your Taiwan Mandarin

Postby Teddoman » 12 May 2012, 19:42

What can I say, some of us aspire to be Ma Ying Jiu types, and some of us aspire to be
Image

Though it's more of a regionalism, age thing and a perception of class/education than an actual reflection of class/education.

After all, former prez and lawyer Chen speaks Taiwan goyee, and there are many more like him in Taiwan
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 260
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 03 Jan 2005, 00:31
12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: How To Have a "Taiwan Guoyu" Accent to Your Taiwan Mandarin

Postby tommy525 » 12 May 2012, 22:42

well if you do it well enough you will be able to get on some tv shows. The taiwanese will think you are a hoot. Cuz even themselves they dont want to speak "hillbilly" mando (among the younger set that is).
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 17700
Joined: 14 Sep 2006, 17:25
Location: calif baby !
514 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: How To Have a "Taiwan Guoyu" Accent to Your Taiwan Mandarin

Postby Petrichor » 13 May 2012, 07:38

Can anyone clear up how the 'e' sound such as for example in zhenni 珍妮 should be pronounced? I've had people correct me one way then other people correct me back again! Some say it should be like the schwa /ə/ and then others correct me and say it should be /e/. I think this may be a Taiwanese Mandarin/mainland Mandarin thing. PAVC pronounces it /e/ but it uses mainland pronunciation for other sounds for sure. Don't know about this one.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)
 
Posts: 1427
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 04:30
Location: Muzha
82 Recommends(s)
84 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: How To Have a "Taiwan Guoyu" Accent to Your Taiwan Mandarin

Postby Feiren » 13 May 2012, 09:30

Petrichor wrote:Can anyone clear up how the 'e' sound such as for example in zhenni 珍妮 should be pronounced? I've had people correct me one way then other people correct me back again! Some say it should be like the schwa /ə/ and then others correct me and say it should be /e/. I think this may be a Taiwanese Mandarin/mainland Mandarin thing. PAVC pronounces it /e/ but it uses mainland pronunciation for other sounds for sure. Don't know about this one.


Jen-nee.

I'm surprised to hear that you are being corrected on this, I wonder if it is something else. What do you think the tones are?
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
 
Posts: 4887
Joined: 05 Jan 2002, 17:01
Location: Drum Tower
4 Recommends(s)
197 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: How To Have a "Taiwan Guoyu" Accent to Your Taiwan Mandarin

Postby Petrichor » 13 May 2012, 10:50

Feiren wrote:
Petrichor wrote:Can anyone clear up how the 'e' sound such as for example in zhenni 珍妮 should be pronounced? I've had people correct me one way then other people correct me back again! Some say it should be like the schwa /ə/ and then others correct me and say it should be /e/. I think this may be a Taiwanese Mandarin/mainland Mandarin thing. PAVC pronounces it /e/ but it uses mainland pronunciation for other sounds for sure. Don't know about this one.


Jen-nee.

I'm surprised to hear that you are being corrected on this, I wonder if it is something else. What do you think the tones are?


Thanks Feiren, but is it /e/ as in egg or /ə/ as in the?

It's definitely the sound of the 'e'. I've also been corrected on ben (stupid). I've pronounced it /e/ as in egg and corrected to /ə/. Another example is wenti (problem).
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)
 
Posts: 1427
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 04:30
Location: Muzha
82 Recommends(s)
84 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: How To Have a "Taiwan Guoyu" Accent to Your Taiwan Mandarin

Postby Feiren » 13 May 2012, 11:52

Petrichor wrote:
Feiren wrote:
Petrichor wrote:Can anyone clear up how the 'e' sound such as for example in zhenni 珍妮 should be pronounced? I've had people correct me one way then other people correct me back again! Some say it should be like the schwa /ə/ and then others correct me and say it should be /e/. I think this may be a Taiwanese Mandarin/mainland Mandarin thing. PAVC pronounces it /e/ but it uses mainland pronunciation for other sounds for sure. Don't know about this one.


Jen-nee.

I'm surprised to hear that you are being corrected on this, I wonder if it is something else. What do you think the tones are?


Thanks Feiren, but is it /e/ as in egg or /ə/ as in the?

It's definitely the sound of the 'e'. I've also been corrected on ben (stupid). I've pronounced it /e/ as in egg and corrected to /ə/. Another example is wenti (problem).


It should be more like the /e/ as in egg. The /e/ in Jen is the same as the e in the English 'Jenny'. But by itself. 'e' is like the /ə/ as in the. For example, e4 'hungry, starving' is quite different from the 'e' in Zhen, Wen, or Ben.

I notice that all of these problem words end in 'n'. The Mandarin 'n' ends earlier than the English n. The tongue stays on the palate and is not released.

Mandarin speakers with Taiwanese-inflected Mandarin pronounce these differently. But these speakers very rarely correct others since (a) they know their Mandarin is 'non-standard' and (b) they are either (1) proud of their non-standard pronunciation or (2) don't care.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
 
Posts: 4887
Joined: 05 Jan 2002, 17:01
Location: Drum Tower
4 Recommends(s)
197 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: How To Have a "Taiwan Guoyu" Accent to Your Taiwan Mandarin

Postby shengou » 13 May 2012, 13:00

Feiren wrote:It should be more like the /e/ as in egg. The /e/ in Jen is the same as the e in the English 'Jenny'. But by itself. 'e' is like the /ə/ as in the. For example, e4 'hungry, starving' is quite different from the 'e' in Zhen, Wen, or Ben.

I notice that all of these problem words end in 'n'. The Mandarin 'n' ends earlier than the English n. The tongue stays on the palate and is not released.

Mandarin speakers with Taiwanese-inflected Mandarin pronounce these differently. But these speakers very rarely correct others since (a) they know their Mandarin is 'non-standard' and (b) they are either (1) proud of their non-standard pronunciation or (2) don't care.


Unless your pronunciation of egg and Jen is different from mine, zhen doesn't sound anything like Jen to me. That en sound sounds more like the un in under to me.

I found a website with all the sounds.
http://www.newconceptmandarin.com/learn ... inyin.aspx

Go to the Mandarin pronunciation table and you can click on all of the sounds. Go to z and find zhen.
I've clicked that about 50 times now, haha.
shengou
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 133
Joined: 16 Jul 2009, 20:36
2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: How To Have a "Taiwan Guoyu" Accent to Your Taiwan Mandarin

Postby shengou » 13 May 2012, 13:08

tommy525 wrote:A heavy taiwanese accented mando is like hillbilly english. All in all, its better to learn to speak "taipei mando" then taike mando.



I don't know about Teddoman, but the only reason why I do this is for joking around. I don't go around all day speaking Taiwan guoyu. When I want to eat something, I might say to my girlfriend, "Ni yao cu suh-mo?"
shengou
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 133
Joined: 16 Jul 2009, 20:36
2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

6000

PreviousNext




 
 
 x

Return to Learning Chinese



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 visitor

When you're filling in the boxes on a Web page (like City, State, Zip), you can press the Tab key to jump from box to box, rather than clicking. Add the Shift key to jump through the boxes backwards.
More tips from David Pogue