Difference between 咱們 and 我們?

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Difference between 咱們 and 我們?

Postby Milkybar_Kid » 28 Jun 2012, 21:38

I know that 咱們 isn't used it Taiwan but can someone explain how it differs from 我們?

I have heard that there is a difference but I cannot find a Taiwanese person to explain it to me.

Thanks
Milkybar_Kid
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
57 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Re: Difference between 咱們 and 我們?

Postby Dragonbones » 28 Jun 2012, 21:56

I was taught that zanmen (we) specifically includes the listener, whereas women (we) is not clear on this.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 28 Jun 2012, 22:28

Dragonbones wrote:I was taught that zanmen (we) specifically includes the listener, whereas women (we) is not clear on this.

That's what I thought. FWIW the distinction is strictly preserved in Taiwanese, with lan including the listener, and gun excluding.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

290 Recommends(s)
295 Recognized(s)

Postby yuping1624 » 29 Jun 2012, 13:26

Hello, I'm a Taiwanese.
To my thinking, 咱們 and 我們 have the same meaning.
However, most people are used to use 我們 rather than 咱們.
咱們 is usually said by antient people, or it often appeared in antient books,Chinese novels such as "THE DREAM OF THE RED CHAMBER(紅樓夢)" .
yuping1624
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Rotalsnart » 02 Jul 2012, 12:06

This is an interesting example of the potential hazard of relying blindly on "native informants" in interpreting written language. :lol: (no offense to yuping1624). But it also goes to show how some older Mandarin terms have fallen out of use or never really established themselves in Taiwan, even some terms that have close counterparts in Taiwanese as Tempo Gain pointed out.
Rotalsnart
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

75 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby fh2000 » 02 Jul 2012, 13:05

Rotalsnart wrote:This is an interesting example of the potential hazard of relying blindly on "native informants" in interpreting written language. :lol: (no offense to yuping1624). But it also goes to show how some older Mandarin terms have fallen out of use or never really established themselves in Taiwan, even some terms that have close counterparts in Taiwanese as Tempo Gain pointed out.

To this native speaker of Chinese growing up in Taiwan, Yuping is correct in how they are used in Taiwan today. Both terms are still used in China though, including my friends from Beijing. The former is more colloquial, and the latter is more formal, among other explanations.
fh2000
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby Rotalsnart » 02 Jul 2012, 13:32

fh2000 wrote:
Rotalsnart wrote:This is an interesting example of the potential hazard of relying blindly on "native informants" in interpreting written language. :lol: (no offense to yuping1624). But it also goes to show how some older Mandarin terms have fallen out of use or never really established themselves in Taiwan, even some terms that have close counterparts in Taiwanese as Tempo Gain pointed out.

To this native speaker of Chinese growing up in Taiwan, Yuping is correct in how they are used in Taiwan today. Both terms are still used in China though, including my friends from Beijing. The former is more colloquial, and the latter is more formal, among other explanations.

Yes, in a sense Yuping is not incorrect. Her answer gives a part of the picture! I think the issue is that the term 咱們 is barely "used" in Taiwan today -- though it can still be read, or very occasionally heard, in various contexts. Those who grow up occasionally hearing or reading a term without adequate context don't have a grasp of its original uses, just as many English speakers cannot explain the uses of terms like "thee," "thou," "thy," "thine," or the recently disappearing distinctions in the uses of the word "shall" in English -- except perhaps to say that they are old-fashioned ways of speaking.
Rotalsnart

75 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby Kos » 12 Jul 2012, 00:06

Rotalsnart wrote:
fh2000 wrote:

Yes, in a sense Yuping is not incorrect. Her answer gives a part of the picture! I think the issue is that the term 咱們 is barely "used" in Taiwan today -- though it can still be read, or very occasionally heard, in various contexts. Those who grow up occasionally hearing or reading a term without adequate context don't have a grasp of its original uses, just as many English speakers cannot explain the uses of terms like "thee," "thou," "thy," "thine," or the recently disappearing distinctions in the uses of the word "shall" in English -- except perhaps to say that they are old-fashioned ways of speaking.

In my opinion, it is as Dragonbones said, 咱們 includes the listener, and 我們 depends on the context, it might be include the listener or not.

And I share the use of the same words in Taiwanese, there are 咱們(pronounced like "lan") and 我們(pronounced like "wan") for Taiwanese, and it is commonly used.
The "咱們" includes the listener, but "我們" doesn't include the listener.
Kos

Postby suray » 03 Aug 2012, 11:10

I'm not a Taiwanese, but a native Chinese Mandarin speaker.

In mainland China, 咱们 is usually used in the North, while 我们 is frequently used in the Southern China. In addition, the former is used more in spoken Chinese.

Besides, 咱们 sometimes can be replaced by 咱 without changing the meaning, say, "咱走吧 - Let's go", "咱妈 - our mother", etc. But 我们 can never be used in this way. "我们走吧 - Let's go" is completely different to "我走了 - I'm leaving".
Learn Chinese online: http://www.masterchinese.com/
English Chinese translation: http://englishchinesetranslations.com/
suray

Postby nicolette027 » 05 Aug 2012, 05:29

In addition to the above comment, I was taught by my Chinese teachers (all from Northern China) that 咱們 is a little more intimate than 我們. Like you wouldn't use 咱們 with a group of people you just met.
Forumosan avatar
nicolette027
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

3 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Learning Chinese