understanding zenmeban and zenmeyang

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

understanding zenmeban and zenmeyang

Postby doggylover14 » 08 Jul 2012, 14:29

So I've been studying Chinese for a little over a year now. These two keep throwing me off. I mean I can look up the definitions and get them in theory, but I feel like they are often just tacked on to the end of sentences. Can someone just give me a couple simple and complicated examples so I can grasp what they exactly do.Thanks!
doggylover14
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: understanding zenmeban and zenmeyang

Postby ehophi » 09 Jul 2012, 04:16

Someone needs a translation corpus!

http://www.translateinto.com (Make sure that you submit with the mouse, not with the 'Enter' key.)
http://english.heyxu.com
http://www.chinese-course.com (search sentences)
Study Chinese at your leisure.
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
ehophi
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

54 Recommends(s)
67 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 09 Jul 2012, 05:53

zenmeban = what to do?

zenmeyan = and so what? and your opinion ? , what do you want ? zenmeyan lah = whats happened?

"my bike got stolen zenmeban (what to do) ? "

" i did it zenmeyan (and so ? ) ? "

Guy comes into his room and sees his GF crying "zenmeyan la ? (whats happened? ) "
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 09 Jul 2012, 11:46

Zenmeban? 怎麼辦? "What to do?", with meanings including "What can be done?" "What do I (we, you) do now?" "How might one go about solving/dealing with this predicament?" It's a very useful phrase to elicit help from a recalcitrant, bureaucratic-minded person who would otherwise ignore your plight.

"Sorry, even though you booked a room at our hotel, we have no rooms available. (thinks: Now go away and stop bothering me.)"
"Zenmeban?"
"Well, let's see. We can put you in the Presidential Suite for now, at no extra charge, until another room becomes available."

Zenmeyang? 怎麼樣? "In what way?", with meanings including "What do you think?", "What do you say?", "How's it going?", and in some circumstances can even mean "What's your point?"
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

86 Recommends(s)
188 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Learning Chinese