Book/dictionary about handwriting

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Book/dictionary about handwriting

Postby Hellstorm » 16 Jul 2012, 21:49

Hello,

I had a course about chinese handwriting in university, which was quite interesting. I know some basic abbreviation rules now, but the problem is that I don’t know how every character can be written in shorthand. Also, the course was based on simplified Chinese, and although I guess in handwriting, it becomes more or less the same, I think „traditional handwriting“ still is a little bit different.

Does anybody know if there is some book, possible in dictionary style, available? So basically it would be best if it included the most common 4000 characters or so, and then different styles how to write them, in partly abbreviated form, more grass-like-style etc. (also, if available, some common compound words, because sometimes they will be connected), so that I can develop my own handwriting.

As my teacher said „Only elementary school children write in kaiti style“, so therefore I would like to develop a more natural handwriting. After all, Chinese also learn latin handwriting, so why then not the other way round.

Thanks!
Hellstorm
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Re: Book/dictionary about handwriting

Postby ironlady » 17 Jul 2012, 08:36

This is the one I have (and have had for many years):

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Cursive-S ... 0887100333

Not new, but an oldie but goodie for sure.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
76 Recommends(s)
298 Recognized(s)

Postby riceworm » 18 Jul 2012, 13:07

Something like 千字文. A thousand characters should be more than enough to get started. :)
http://www.books.com.tw/exep/prod/lookinside.php?item=CN10125330#p
riceworm
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Hellstorm » 19 Jul 2012, 04:45

Thanks!

Actually I wanted more than an introduction. I already had an introduction lesson (also with a basic reader where 200-300 characters are listed), but now I’d like to have a book where I can find any common character. Of course, the rules will repeat, but I’d actually like really some kind of more extensive dictionary. When I stumble across a random word (or rather character), I’d like to be able to find it in the dictionary.

I have one for Japanese (this one), which is actually quite nice. But there I cannot look for Chinese pronounciation (and some characters are missing), so it isn’t that helpful for me.

The 真草千字文 seems to be nice, but that isn't a dictionary either, isn't it?
Hellstorm

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby riceworm » 19 Jul 2012, 11:00

No, it's not a dictionary. But here's a word file of 千字文 with zhuyin.

Chinese calligraphy books indexed by 部首 or stroke count:
* 正草隸篆四體千字文
* 王羲之體書法字典 (3000 plus characters)
* 六體鋼筆書法字典 (close to 4000 characters)

I'm not aware of one that includes pronunciations. :idunno:
riceworm

12 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Hellstorm » 21 Jul 2012, 22:55

Ok, thanks.

I can still go with radicals or stroke count.
btw, is calligraphy the same as handwriting? I don’t want to write with a brush, and not necessarily beautiful, just 1. easier and faster and 2. like a natural handwriting.
Hellstorm

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 22 Jul 2012, 11:36

Hellstorm wrote:...is calligraphy the same as handwriting?

Calligraphy is, by definition, beautiful handwriting, so it is a subset of handwriting.

Chinese calligraphy is traditionally written with a brush and has a strong aesthetic emphasis.

I don’t want to write with a brush, and not necessarily beautiful, just 1. easier and faster and 2. like a natural handwriting.

In that case, just use a pencil or pen and go with something like the Fred Fang-yu Wang which Ironlady recommended, and which has been discussed in two previous threads:
http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p1087684
http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph ... 89#p159489
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Learning Chinese