Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

keeping Chinese skills polished while in the west

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Re: keeping Chinese skills polished while in the west

Postby bomblog » 01 Aug 2012, 01:17

DevinRB wrote:- Anki (spaced-repetition software) for in-context vocab memorization

Along the same line of thought as Devin above... If you wanted more software to hone your already developed Mandarin skills, there are eight different ones I've listed here under Free Software Packages for Learning Chinese- found in various places around the Web. Hundreds of free online resources to help in Chinese language learning on that site.
Image I like Chinese. I learn Chinese. Trying to make the Web's biggest curated directory of FREE ONLINE RESOURCES for learning Mandarin Chinese... LEARNCHINESEOK.com. Let's all Learn Chinese, OK!
bomblog
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

2 Recognized(s)

Re: keeping Chinese skills polished while in the west

Postby Teddoman » 01 Aug 2012, 04:44

Lately, I've been posting in a facebook group. I've sort of realized that in conversations I think I use a lot of verbal pauses and other crutches to avoid constructing grammatically correct sentences. It's much harder to do that in writing, even if you're just writing colloquially and it's nothing formal. So I would say participating on people's facebook pages is a good way to slow yourself down and practice writing proper sentences.

On the input side, I'm also finding I'm getting good exposure to real colloquial Mandarin this way. Since it's facebook, it's people you might have some connection to, so that helps keep my interest level up. Facebook is also less of a commitment. You can just read someone's update or follow a short thread and then move on. Perfect for our ADHD lifestyle :-)
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Learning Chinese