English to Classical Chinese dictionary

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

English to Classical Chinese dictionary

Postby LURKER » 22 Jul 2012, 21:41

Does such a thing exist? I can't seem to find one anywhere. Has anyone ever bought one?

Please help me out guys.
Forumosan avatar
LURKER
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: English to Classical Chinese dictionary

Postby Confuzius » 23 Jul 2012, 02:14

This would be a super weird concept for a number of reasons:

1. No one speaks classical chinese.

You only translate TO languages which are still in actual use. You translate FROM languages which are both in use and are not.

Why would you want to translate something from English TO classical chinese? I am quite curious.

If such a thing does exist, that would be quite interesting...
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby LURKER » 23 Jul 2012, 02:24

Translating in two directions (L1->L2, L2->L1) is a good way to learn any language, and Classical Chinese is no exception.

Besides which, sometimes I'm simply just curious to know what the equivalent Classical Chinese term is for a given English word.

Although I haven't found anything like it yet, I'm sure that it must exist somewhere, from back in the 19th century days when written colloquial Chinese was the exception rather than the rule.
Forumosan avatar
LURKER
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Confuzius » 23 Jul 2012, 02:27

LURKER wrote:
Although I haven't found anything like it yet, I'm sure that it must exist somewhere, from back in the 19th century days when written colloquial Chinese was the exception rather than the rule.

Maybe post your question to the FB sinologists group.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby ehophi » 08 Sep 2012, 17:08

Here are three popular resources that have Classical Chinese translation dictionaries:

Chris Fraser of the University of Hong Kong maintains a very good links page with other resources on it, as well.
Study Chinese at your leisure.
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
ehophi
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

50 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Zhuangzidisciple » 16 Sep 2012, 16:30

An English to Classical Chinese would be an excellent way to practice and hone your classical. Another way is to actually write in classical, something I'm doing currently, and it's more fun than it sounds. So yes this kind of dictionary would be useful, but I also have yet to find one.
Zhuangzidisciple
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby bomblog » 11 Dec 2012, 22:56

If you haven't found a satisfactory solution for an English to Classical Chinese dictionary, here's a workaround, if you need it.

Use the already translated works of classical Chinese, then compare one to the other for a makeshift two-way dictionary between the English and Classical Chinese just by searching the text.

I looked for, and found, several sources on my resource page for Classical Chinese Reading, that have both texts of Classical Chinese as well as the translated English.

English and Classical Chinese can be found side-by-side on the Wengu database of Chinese classical texts. It's a wonderfully designed website with great scholarly content. And similarly with the Chinese Text Project which was mentioned by @ehophi above.

Rick Harbaugh's Zhongwen.com has Classical Chinese Literature as well as Confucian Classics, with links to English translations.

The collection of Chinese classics at the Chinese Text Initiative of the University of Virginia Library also has English translations.

Chinapage.com has a collection of Chinese Literature Classics as well as for Classical Chinese Novels, with some English translations for them.

Altogether, there are 15 free online resources cited there on that Classical Chinese Reading page of mine - worth a look if you're interested in Classical Chinese.
Image I like Chinese. I learn Chinese. Trying to make the Web's biggest curated directory of FREE ONLINE RESOURCES for learning Mandarin Chinese... LEARNCHINESEOK.com. Let's all Learn Chinese, OK!
bomblog
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Hokwongwei » 06 Feb 2013, 03:06

I have never met a Ch-En dictionary I've liked. They tend to simplify definitions down as if there were a 1:1 equivalence between phrases in two wildly different languages. If you're Chinese is good enough to read classical, just get a regular 漢語辭典 or what not. Those sorts of dictionaries have the most regularly used classical definitions in them, so... problem solved?
This is a highly proper signature.
Forumosan avatar
Hokwongwei
"Drinks for the House!"

699 Recommends(s)
688 Recognized(s)

Postby Rotalsnart » 06 Feb 2013, 19:25

Hokwongwei wrote:I have never met a Ch-En dictionary I've liked. They tend to simplify definitions down as if there were a 1:1 equivalence between phrases in two wildly different languages. If you're Chinese is good enough to read classical, just get a regular 漢語辭典 or what not. Those sorts of dictionaries have the most regularly used classical definitions in them, so... problem solved?

The OP is asking about E-C, not C-E.
Rotalsnart
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

74 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby Hokwongwei » 06 Feb 2013, 20:37

Since just about every bilingual dictionary is also bidirectional, I figured it wasn't necessary to put arrows. What I mean is Ch<>En.
This is a highly proper signature.
Forumosan avatar
Hokwongwei
"Drinks for the House!"

699 Recommends(s)
688 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Learning Chinese