Chinese Conversion Software.

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Postby dbbowman » 24 Oct 2001, 01:31

I have English windows 97 running on my laptop and want my GF to have the ability to type chinese. Does anyone know where to buy this software or have a copy they want to lend me for a day (for a fee of course)?

I think some popular titles are Twinbridge and NJ star.

I just don't want to spend the $100.00 - 300.00 asking price through a software company... you know?

[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
dbbowman

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Anonymous » 24 Oct 2001, 05:57

If win OFFICE 97 is all you want - it is all available free - use windows update to get Chinese Traditional - and go to your keyboard in windows control panel and add chinese to your keyboards. Bopomofo and many other ways, EXCEPT pinyin, are available.

Not enough - and you are registered - send me an email.
Anonymous

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby cranky laowai » 24 Oct 2001, 06:52

Pinyin entry is available -- though maybe it won't work on an English system. See my post.

And here's info about downloading the Microsoft Chinese-entry program.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby dbbowman » 24 Oct 2001, 07:35

You guys are so smart... thanks!
dbbowman

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Christine » 02 Mar 2002, 02:35

I was introduced to a software yesterday that blew me away! I didn't find it posted elsewhere on the boards but I apologize in advance if it's already been mentioned.

http://www.cjkware.com

I'm so amazed by it, what a way to learn Chinese characters! Basically the way it works is, once you've downloaded the software -- each time you put your cursor over Chinese characters (in webpages, Word documents, etc.) -- a little window appears next to your cursor showing the translation, the pronunciation, and the characters themselves in both complicated and simplified versions, AND, you can hear how the word is actually pronounced.

Away with Chinese-English dictionaries!

[img]images/smiles/converted/hip-o-dude.gif[/img]
Forumosan avatar
Christine
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Learning Chinese