Learning Taiwanese / Hokkien / Minnan / Min

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Re: Learning Taiwanese / Hokkien / Minnan / Min

Postby ironlady » 10 Aug 2011, 21:09

I'm not up on the specifics at the moment, but a Romanization system for Hokkien would need to represent the phonemes of the language, not every phonetic sound. Any phonemes that were predictible from context would not need to be represented specifically (cf. quan vs chuan in HP -- the "uan" certainly sounds different, yet is written identically).

I was once offered a missionary visa to update the Maryknoll textbooks. Sort of wish I'd taken it, but at the time it just seemed too weird for words.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
321 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Postby rice_t » 11 Aug 2011, 18:07

Taffy, the Taiwanese input "Taiwanese Pack 2.1" that can be downloaded from Tailingua (which is nice, by the way) is disliked by my antivirus SW (Avira), which thinks that it is a virus (trojan TR/skillis.FG). I remember now that I had it installed before and that Avira quarantined it, after which it ceased to work (well, obviously). Apart from that it works quite nicely...
Impeach Jason Hu!
Forumosan avatar
rice_t
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby gorupo » 19 Aug 2011, 18:02

Ok... sorry to interrupt. I have to bring this to a lower level with my question XD

I have a question for something like: I am happy I met you

A Taiwanese girl who speaks hokkien told me something like: wa yo hua-hi lai sheksai lee

However... as far as I know... You are is something that sounds more like: wa shi and for "to meet" I never heard something like that before. Any clue on which one would be more accurate? Im a bit confused now O.o
gorupo
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby rice_t » 19 Aug 2011, 20:52

gorupo wrote:I have a question for something like: I am happy I met you

A Taiwanese girl who speaks hokkien told me something like: wa yo hua-hi lai sheksai lee

However... as far as I know... You are is something that sounds more like: wa shi and for "to meet" I never heard something like that before. Any clue on which one would be more accurate? Im a bit confused now O.o

Sounds OK with me, except for that I don't know what the yo is supposed to be. I'd probably say Goa1 chin7 hoaⁿ7-hi1 shek3-sai7-li7 (我真歡喜熟似汝 or 我很高興認識你). There are probably other ways to say the same thing.

Se'k-sāi does not mean to meet, but rather "to know" or "to get to know/acquainted with". And very similar to Mandarin, in Taiwanese you don't need the 'auxiliary' verb "to be" with adjectives, the adjective itself can have verbal character.
Impeach Jason Hu!
Forumosan avatar
rice_t

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 19 Aug 2011, 22:00

rice_t wrote:Sounds OK with me, except for that I don't know what the yo is supposed to be.

I don't remember the Romanization but that I think would be something like a jyo(k) ("very", with falling tone and a stop) not yo.
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby gorupo » 20 Aug 2011, 14:10

Thank you guys! you rock.
gorupo

Postby gorupo » 20 Aug 2011, 14:13

then... let's say jyo(k) replaces Chin when It's meant to be "to be very"? or... do they add? like Goa jyo chin ?
gorupo

Postby rice_t » 20 Aug 2011, 14:42

gorupo wrote:then... let's say jyo(k) replaces Chin when It's meant to be "to be very"? or... do they add? like Goa jyo chin ?

Yes, jiok can replace chin. To my ears jiok would sound a bit more colloquial, but which one is used could also be a regional thing.
Impeach Jason Hu!
Forumosan avatar
rice_t

1 Recognized(s)

Postby EM learning Ho-lo » 30 May 2012, 02:47

No comments posted on this subject for a minute...

...I've been making my own efforts to learn Hō-ló (台語) lately…

http://a-bas-le-ciel.blogspot.ca/2012/0 ... fruit.html

…and I've also started a "Google Group" to try to bring together foreigners learning the language with native speakers who might be willing to "teach" it (or at least answer questions, provide suggestions, etc.).

I'll open a separate topic of discussion for this, however, if anyone stumbles on this old thread, go to the "google groups" website, and search for "learning ho-lo" (or put 台語 into the search, as this appears in the group's formal name) and you can sign up to join the discussion.

It's an open forum for anyone with a sincere interest in the language.
EM learning Ho-lo

Postby tommy525 » 31 May 2012, 09:30

chia and cheowk pretty much inter-changeable

both mean fei chang in mando (very in english)

fei chang in taiwanese is "huee shiong "
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Learning Chinese