I've finished learning Chinese

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Postby Taffy » 17 Apr 2007, 13:47

I'm currently reading about Manchu - I think you should study that. It is agglutinative (you stick modifiers, adjectives, case endings etc on to the root noun to make a huge long word), has lovely SOV word order and about 20 different cases. Of course, it's a dead language, but one of these days someone will invent a time machine, travel back to 17th century China and need to talk to the head honcho. Who are they going to call then? You'll be a shoo-in for the job. Plus the script is well cool.

Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 17 Apr 2007, 14:13

joesax wrote:Without looking it up, can anyone tell me what connects Klingon, Guarijio, Hixkaryana, and Tapirapé?

Commas, in this case.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby twocs » 17 Apr 2007, 14:28

How about learning Taiwanese? It's available as a class from Chinese Culture University (CCU) located at the intersection of Hoping East Road and Jianguo South Road.
“You cut taxes and the tax revenues increase.” — President Bush, February 8, 2006
On the Ineffectiveness of Tax Policy in Altering Long-run Growth. Journal of Public Economics. 66(1) 99-126

'''____'''__'''__'___''''''''
....(_.`_)\/\/')`\/.'_)'__).....
'''''''''|.|\.'`.`/()'\'(_\_`)''''''''
.......\_)'\/\/\__/\__)_/........
""""""""""""""""""""""
twocs
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby irishstu » 17 Apr 2007, 14:32

I DOUBLE DARE you to try Irish. Seriously, just one on-line lesson. You'll give up after 20 minutes. You think Basque is hard? Try Irish.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

90 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby smell the glove » 17 Apr 2007, 16:41

If you need a challenge after mastering Chinese, you could try having your hands amputated, gouging out your eyes, and learning sign language. Then learn Tabassaran and Hungarian, but just until you get the case systems down. After that, learn Spanish.
Forumosan avatar
smell the glove
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

11 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 17 Apr 2007, 16:52

north American native languages. agglutination run riot. (Edit: damn. i just read page 2. snap, insomniac)

Iriquois, Hupa, Apache, Nanook.

if a world war breaks out, you may get a call up as a windtalker. (OK that's Navaho). but as Frank Black once said, the navaho know...
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

209 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Postby Joesox » 17 Apr 2007, 17:25

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I think it would be a bit much to learn all those languages at the same time though. So I'll stick to learning one a month.

SMG, good tip on the sign language though actually it's really languages. I'll start with Nicaraguan.

Dragonbones wrote:
joesax wrote:Without looking it up, can anyone tell me what connects Klingon, Guarijio, Hixkaryana, and Tapirapé?

Commas, in this case.
Why isn't there a "groan" smiley? ;)

The answer is that they're object-verb-subject languages; the rarest kind. In fact until a few decades ago that combination was believed not to exist in any natural language. I guess it made sense to the designers of Klingon to use this "alien" combination.
Joesox
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby smell the glove » 17 Apr 2007, 21:08

joesax wrote:SMG, good tip on the sign language though actually it's really languages.

Damn, you're good. And you just saved yourself years of frustration.

How about the language of love, the language of diplomacy, legal language, body language, and figurative language?
Forumosan avatar
smell the glove

11 Recognized(s)

Postby Joesox » 17 Apr 2007, 21:18

smell the glove wrote:
joesax wrote:SMG, good tip on the sign language though actually it's really languages.

Damn, you're good. And you just saved yourself years of frustration.

How about the language of love, the language of diplomacy, legal language, body language, and figurative language?
They'll just have to wait their turn. This afternoon I managed to build a time machine using plans I found on the Internet. I'll be back in 17th century China learning Manchu if anyone needs me.
Joesox

ORIGINAL POSTER
7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 17 Apr 2007, 21:38

irishstu wrote:Honestly, BFM. You believe everything you see on TV. There's nothing to stop us meeting Klingons in 2011.
Yes there is, neither the Federation or the Klingons had warp capability then. Only the Vulcans, and possibly the Romulans.
Er.... thingy.
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Learning Chinese