loan words/ near cognates/ transliterations, or whatever...

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Re: loan words/ near cognates/ transliterations, or whatever...

Postby the bear » 16 Jan 2012, 12:24

kjmillig wrote:Today at work I overheard two teachers conversation (in Chinese) and one inserted what sounded like "pow po" into her sentence. From her context I knew she was talking about PowerPoint.
I'm hearing more and more of "bu-sz" for bus, "OK de", etc.


AFAIK PowerPoint has no Chinese name. You're probably hearing the mispronunciation of common English terminology that is becoming ubiquitous in Taiwanese offices. This deserves its own thread. I am the only westerner in an office of 1000 people and I hear this stuff all day long; all the hard consonants get dropped i.e. software becomes so-ware.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 3890
Joined: 14 Jul 2003, 14:45
Location: Taipei City
30 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)



Re: loan words/ near cognates/ transliterations, or whatever...

Postby Taffy » 16 Jan 2012, 12:29

the bear wrote:I am the only westerner in an office of 1000 people and I hear this stuff all day long; all the hard consonants get dropped i.e. software becomes so-ware.

Along with its cousins fuh-ware and ha-ware.
Image
Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
 
Posts: 2917
Joined: 20 Oct 2005, 15:11
Location: South Central Xinbei
104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)



Re: loan words/ near cognates/ transliterations, or whatever...

Postby Chris » 12 Apr 2012, 16:58

Thai เรียน (rian "study", "learn") -- Chinese 練 (lian "practice", "train", "drill")

Probably coincidental, but it's good to remember.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 15016
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 15:51
Location: Type-A, Tie-one-on
91 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)



Re: loan words/ near cognates/ transliterations, or whatever...

Postby Chris » 04 May 2012, 21:09

肉體 Taiwanese: ba the ( = body)
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 15016
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 15:51
Location: Type-A, Tie-one-on
91 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)



Re: loan words/ near cognates/ transliterations, or whatever...

Postby Chrisk » 05 May 2012, 03:21

Chrisk
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 25 Apr 2012, 04:50



Re: loan words/ near cognates/ transliterations, or whatever...

Postby Chris » 05 May 2012, 11:39

Indonesian anagram pseudocognates:

dan - and
dik - kid
hantu - haunt
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 15016
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 15:51
Location: Type-A, Tie-one-on
91 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)



Re: loan words/ near cognates/ transliterations, or whatever...

Postby Chris » 31 Aug 2012, 18:53

Chris wrote:Thai เรียน (rian "study", "learn") -- Chinese 練 (lian "practice", "train", "drill")


ขอ khaw - request
kau (Cantonese) - request

กว้าง kwaang - wide
guang - wide

แขก khaek - guest
khek (Taiwanese, literary reading) - guest

ถ่าน thaan - charcoal
tan - charcoal

อย่าง yaang - type, kind
yang - type, kind

เสียง siang - sound
xiang/ sheng - sound

And so on. Some perhaps coincidental, other borrowings.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 15016
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 15:51
Location: Type-A, Tie-one-on
91 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)



Re: loan words/ near cognates/ transliterations, or whatever...

Postby hansioux » 31 Aug 2012, 19:38

Chris wrote:
Chris wrote:Thai เรียน (rian "study", "learn") -- Chinese 練 (lian "practice", "train", "drill")


ขอ khaw - request
kau (Cantonese) - request

กว้าง kwaang - wide
guang - wide

แขก khaek - guest
khek (Taiwanese, literary reading) - guest

ถ่าน thaan - charcoal
tan - charcoal

อย่าง yaang - type, kind
yang - type, kind

เสียง siang - sound
xiang/ sheng - sound

And so on. Some perhaps coincidental, other borrowings.


It's possibly not borrowed. Since features such as tones, and same words that seems unlikely to be borrowed are shared, some theorize that as human migration from the Asia steppes pushes original East Asian population on a southward migration themselves, and at some point (1600 BC or earlier) languages from the Thai-Kadai family used to be spoken in present day China. As new arrivals adopts and contributes to the language fusion, the original thai language family groups moved further south and eventually the languages becomes very different under different influences.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
Forumosan avatar
hansioux
"Drinks for the House!"
 
Posts: 4003
Joined: 28 Jul 2012, 14:41
550 Recommends(s)
597 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006



Re: loan words/ near cognates/ transliterations, or whatever...

Postby archylgp » 31 Aug 2012, 20:28

hansioux wrote:
Chris wrote:
Chris wrote:Thai เรียน (rian "study", "learn") -- Chinese 練 (lian "practice", "train", "drill")


ขอ khaw - request
kau (Cantonese) - request

กว้าง kwaang - wide
guang - wide

แขก khaek - guest
khek (Taiwanese, literary reading) - guest

ถ่าน thaan - charcoal
tan - charcoal

อย่าง yaang - type, kind
yang - type, kind

เสียง siang - sound
xiang/ sheng - sound

And so on. Some perhaps coincidental, other borrowings.


It's possibly not borrowed. Since features such as tones, and same words that seems unlikely to be borrowed are shared, some theorize that as human migration from the Asia steppes pushes original East Asian population on a southward migration themselves, and at some point (1600 BC or earlier) languages from the Thai-Kadai family used to be spoken in present day China. As new arrivals adopts and contributes to the language fusion, the original thai language family groups moved further south and eventually the languages becomes very different under different influences.


Old-timer! You're not a linguistics student in China, are you?
archylgp
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
 
Posts: 1327
Joined: 03 Jun 2007, 06:51
Location: [tʰai³⁵.tʂuŋ⁵⁵] /Taizhong/
150 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)



Re: loan words/ near cognates/ transliterations, or whatever...

Postby bababa » 03 Sep 2012, 04:23

Chris wrote: And so on. Some perhaps coincidental, other borrowings.

Surely it is neither coincidental, nor borrowed. Aren't Chinese and Thai related languages?
bababa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: 05 Nov 2003, 23:31
21 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext




Proceed to Learning Chinese



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 5 visitors

Why always "not yet"? Do flowers in spring say "not yet" -- NORMAN DOUGLAS