Ways to get people to speak Chinese (not English) with you

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Re: Stop replying in English grrrr!

Postby Chris » 04 Apr 2009, 12:13

Or just keep speaking to them in Chinese...they usually get the idea.

If you say you're French, you'd have to speak Chinese with a French accent:

Wo she fa kwo hren.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

86 Recommends(s)
188 Recognized(s)

Postby funkymonkey » 04 Apr 2009, 12:15

Fox wrote:I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard that old bitch and whine.

The joy of living in Jiayi is that no one can speak English. :)
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

32 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 04 Apr 2009, 12:23

We've already got a topic on this. I'll merge it.
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Re: Ways to force people to use Chinese on you

Postby BigJohn » 04 Apr 2009, 12:47

Have you tried saying, "Id like to speak in Chinese, please", in Chinese?
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

1 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 05 Apr 2009, 06:40

The joy of living in Jiayi is that no one can speak English.

Nor does anyone speak proper Mandarin either!
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 05 Apr 2009, 06:43

Once in a while, when I really don't feel like using my English, I try to force people into using Chinese.

My strategy that doesn't always work for some reason, is that I just tell them I'm Mexican.

People who know where Mexico is and what language they speak usually start speaking in Chinese.

For the majority of people, they just assume that if you look white you speak English :( . But If I really need to, I just say that I can't speak English, and if they happen to speak Spanish I can speak to them in Spanish, but I haven't met a single soul here yet that speaks Spanish at a conversational level.

I feel bad lying though. Really bad.

What do you guys do?

Actually this sometimes makes me wonder the intelligent level of Taiwanese. You fake not knowing English and they continue to speak English to you. Even if you tell them in Chinese that you don't speak English. White foreigners who really cannot speak English well must want to hit Taiwanese sometimes.
steelersman

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby lbksig » 05 Apr 2009, 08:12

steelersman wrote:Actually this sometimes makes me wonder the intelligent level of Taiwanese. You fake not knowing English and they continue to speak English to you. Even if you tell them in Chinese that you don't speak English. White foreigners who really cannot speak English well must want to hit Taiwanese sometimes.

Maybe the collective caught on that the Waiguoren are pretending not to speak English so that they have to speak Chinese instead of English. Maybe they don't give a damn about you not wanting to speak English because they want to practice their English, like how you don't give a damn they don't want to speak Chinese because you want to practice your Chinese. I wonder how many native Taiwanese want to hit people who don't cannot speak Chinese or Taiwanese well. Maybe they are just more polite that their English is better than your Chinese/Taiwanese?

Do you realize now how rude your post sounds after I changed it? What does the intellect level of the Taiwanese have to do with them wanting to practice English with you, just as you want to speak Chinese with them?
Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Obama's offering a payroll tax cut, but only for small business. Ok, fair's fair. We pay taxes, but only for small government. - Fred Thompson
lbksig
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

Postby alidarbac » 05 Apr 2009, 10:04

Or just keep speaking to them in Chinese...they usually get the idea.

But the problem is that they don't.

Whenever I go to certain restaurants or bars that appeal to mostly foreigners, it's like I'm in a linguistic tug of war. I'm usually at a slight disadvantage from the start because I usually have to double check the menu to remember how to say carne asada burrito or porterhouse steak in Chinese, since 90% of the time those words are some phonetic transcription of random Chinese characters. For me, Chinese loan words that are based off of meaning, like 千層麵 for lasagna, are a lot easier to remember and I feel like less of a douchebag saying them. But something like, say, 法士達 for fajita I'll never remember and I'll feel absurd ordering that since I can just say fajita in English (or Spanish, I guess.) But once you slip and call a fajita a fajita and not a 法士達, you've already lost the game. They sense weakness and they'll never cede an inch, no matter how much Chinese you use with them.

When I used to live in China, these sort of foreign restaurants would have separate English and Chinese menus. When I would go to one of these restaurants with my girlfriend at the time, we would switch menus and she would speak entirely in English and I would speak entirely in Chinese. Those were the days.

I've thought about doing some more passive aggressive things to fight back, like deliberately mumbling overly complex English in a fake Scottish accent. But what's the point? If I'm paying this premium to go to a nice restaurant, I shouldn't have to feel like I'm being humiliated. Just like War Games, the only way to win is not to play. I've got a mental blacklist of places I'm never returning to again after I thought the server was acting like a conceited tool.
Forumosan avatar
alidarbac
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

4 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 05 Apr 2009, 10:09

What does the intellect level of the Taiwanese have to do with them wanting to practice English with you, just as you want to speak Chinese with them?

The point is they seem to believe that all white people speak English or want to speak English. Maybe I am wrong but I believe they would continue speaking English to me even if I was really Albanian and only spoke a few words of English.

Furthermore there have been cases in which Taiwanese have tried to speak English to me and I did not understand what they were saying. Even though I did not understand them they insisted to keep on speaking English.
steelersman

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 05 Apr 2009, 10:12

I've thought about doing some more passive aggressive things to fight back, like deliberately mumbling overly complex English in a fake Scottish accent. But what's the point? If I'm paying this premium to go to a nice restaurant, I shouldn't have to feel like I'm being humiliated. Just like War Games, the only way to win is not to play. I've got a mental blacklist of places I'm never returning to again after I thought the server was acting like a conceited tool.

If you want to speak English with Taiwanese don't go to the typical foreigner hangouts. It is as simple as that.
steelersman

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Learning Chinese