Ways to get people to speak Chinese (not English) with you

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Re: Ways to force people to use Chinese on you

Postby smithsgj » 27 Dec 2009, 22:41

Gao Bohan wrote: When I was studying at NTNU there was a student from Estonia who spoke no English whatsoever.

None? An international student with no English??

If you say so.
smithsgj
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Postby k.k. » 27 Dec 2009, 23:02

What's with the obsession to have locals speak Chinese to you? In most scenarios, I'm more than happy to let them choose. If they speak English to me, I use English. If they speak Chinese to me, then fine, we use Chinese.

I have known a couple of foreign friends here in Taiwan who have gone as far to say that they feel locals are disrespecting them by not speaking Chinese to them and using whatever level of English they possess instead. Personally, I find that attitude somewhat screwed in the head. Locals aren't disrespecting anyone by trying to use their English. I really don't get how someone could make the leap that they are being disrespected as such.
Forumosan avatar
k.k.
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

23 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Postby Rabidpie » 28 Dec 2009, 01:30

k.k. wrote:What's with the obsession to have locals speak Chinese to you? In most scenarios, I'm more than happy to let them choose. If they speak English to me, I use English. If they speak Chinese to me, then fine, we use Chinese.

I have known a couple of foreign friends here in Taiwan who have gone as far to say that they feel locals are disrespecting them by not speaking Chinese to them and using whatever level of English they possess instead. Personally, I find that attitude somewhat screwed in the head. Locals aren't disrespecting anyone by trying to use their English. I really don't get how someone could make the leap that they are being disrespected as such.

Yes, you are right. In the end I usually encourage my good friends to speak English and practice because I of course want them to improve. Usually they say a few things, ask a few questions, then resort back to Chinese because either they feel more comfortable in Chinese or they got tired of speaking English.

In reality, when I see enthusiastic faces wanting to say a little bit of spoken English, I can't help myself but go-along.
My anti Drug is Taiwan
Rabidpie
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 28 Dec 2009, 01:33

smithsgj wrote:
Gao Bohan wrote: When I was studying at NTNU there was a student from Estonia who spoke no English whatsoever.

If you say so.

I've met several. usually east European. Its not that uncommon.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby smithsgj » 29 Dec 2009, 22:26

sandman wrote:
smithsgj wrote:

If you say so.

K. Guess I need to get out more.

(but... seriously NONE? oh never mind)

I have tried speaking Chinese to a couple of Russians who claimed that they had better Chinese than English. Always ended up in English though. Maybe just my Chinese sucks...
smithsgj
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Postby bismarck » 30 Dec 2009, 04:57

smithsgj wrote:
sandman wrote:
smithsgj wrote:None? An international student with no English??

If you say so.

K. Guess I need to get out more.

(but... seriously NONE? oh never mind)

I have tried speaking Chinese to a couple of Russians who claimed that they had better Chinese than English. Always ended up in English though. Maybe just my Chinese sucks...

I know what you mean....

Whatever....

I speak what I want...
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Language Battles

Postby Milkybar_Kid » 14 Jul 2011, 18:17

Does anyone on the forum have any experience of a "Language Battle"?

I have seen this mentioned over on the ChineseForums.com website but I wanted to get a Forumosa perspective on things.

From my own perspective my current Chinese language ability would not allow me to "battle" with someone and usually when someone reverts to English I am a little bit relieved.

However today I was buying something in the supermarket and I left with a strange feeling of being a little bit pissed off after someone addressed me in English straight away.

Maybe this is a sign of my progression with my Chinese language ability?

:cool:
Milkybar_Kid
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

56 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Re: Language Battles

Postby odysseyandoracle » 14 Jul 2011, 22:12

It might be annoying for you now, but it's a really nice feeling once you start winning those 'language battles' at the first sentence.

I always answer in Chinese. If they insist on continuing in English and it's clear they're Taiwanese/Chinese born and raised, then I tell them, buhaoyisi, English isn't my native language, can we please speak Chinese? I haven't run into anyone here who persisted after that, and no one walks away feeling embarrassed, frustrated, or inferior.
odysseyandoracle
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby pqkdzrwt » 14 Jul 2011, 22:23

Milkybar_Kid wrote:However today I was buying something in the supermarket and I left with a strange feeling of being a little bit pissed off after someone addressed me in English straight away.

Chillax a bit. They are probably just as excited to have an opportunity to speak/practice their English that they worked so hard on, as you are annoyed that you don't get to use Chinese since you have worked so hard to master it (:

or

They are just as proud to show off the fact they can speak English as you are as proud to show off that you can speak Chinese.
Never wrestle with a pig—you get dirty and the pig likes it
pqkdzrwt
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

4 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 15 Jul 2011, 02:17

I say let them speak to you in english and you reply ONLY in Mandarin (to the best of you ability). No reason both people have to speak the same language if both people understand both languages. Thats how people learn, by speaking.

YOu do not have to switch to english if talked to in english, you can continue in Mandarin.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
317 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Learning Chinese