Choosing between programs, e.g. NTNU, NTU's CLD and NCCU

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Re: Choosing between programs, e.g. NTNU, NTU's CLD and NCCU

Postby smithsgj » 02 Aug 2010, 13:18

ironlady wrote:My readers just use the Hanyu Pinyin (or TOP romanization) on the following page. You can turn back and forth when you need it, but your eye doesn't go to it.

Dizzy.

What is the advantage in doing it that way? Self-testing maybe?
smithsgj
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Postby Abacus » 04 Aug 2010, 09:43

smithsgj wrote:
ironlady wrote:My readers just use the Hanyu Pinyin (or TOP romanization) on the following page. You can turn back and forth when you need it, but your eye doesn't go to it.

Dizzy.

If there is pinyin on the page then you read the pinyin instead of the characters. If there are only characters then you read the characters but you can easily look up the pinyin if needed. At least that is my experience.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

133 Recommends(s)
137 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 04 Aug 2010, 10:46

I used to slide a ruler down the page to cover up the pinyin, otherwise my eyes would go to that, as you say.
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby smithsgj » 04 Aug 2010, 12:23

Abacus wrote:
smithsgj wrote:

Dizzy.

If there is pinyin on the page then you read the pinyin instead of the characters. If there are only characters then you read the characters but you can easily look up the pinyin if needed. At least that is my experience.

OK. That's what I meant by self-testing. You refer to the other page to check comprehension, rather than access both forms in all cases and learn/get-reinforcement from the process. This must be why ruby/same page access evolved, no?

IL implied by saying "but your eye doesn't go to it" that the same page system has advantages, without clarifying (for me at least) the advantages of her system. Abacus confirmed that you think it's for self-testing. IL?
smithsgj
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Postby Icon » 11 Aug 2010, 09:44

My reply to an inquiry on a different topic:

Hi girl,

Don't tell me that, I already enrolled at NTNU for my first year of Chinesse. Why do you say is going to be tought?
De veras me voy arrepentir???[/quote]

The problem is that in teh first level you with zero knowledge are in teh same class with Jaopanese and Korean who understand written form -imagine you learning Italian or French, you would have a head up because of similarities- or people who have BAs or even MAs in Chinese and are there at lower levels because of the visa thinghie. They cannot handle a true beginner.

Furthermore, the methodology is repetitive, uncreative, boring and isolated from teh environment outside. They devised the book and stick to it religiously. The teachers are very dogmatic and have already made up their minds about Latino students because of previous generations. Hence, you will not be taught how to use the dictionary, radicals, etc. unless you ask for and are very persistent. No nos tratan ni en serio ni igual. You need to be very "respectful" with the teachers and staff, lots of kowtowing. You make them lose face, or if they thing you are annoying, and you are out of this country in a heartbeat. Remember they control the visa thinghies. And may forget to pass on important information.

Housing around Shi-Da is getting way too expensive. The books have been divided up and will be even more expensive than before. The other places are using teh same books but you will not be paying as much in housing/food expenses.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 12 Aug 2010, 00:22

Icon wrote:My reply to an inquiry on a different topic:

Icon's friend wrote wrote:Hi girl,

Don't tell me that, I already enrolled at NTNU for my first year of Chinesse. Why do you say is going to be tought?
De veras me voy arrepentir???

The problem is that in teh first level you with zero knowledge are in teh same class with Jaopanese and Korean who understand written form -imagine you learning Italian or French, you would have a head up because of similarities- or people who have BAs or even MAs in Chinese and are there at lower levels because of the visa thinghie. They cannot handle a true beginner.

Furthermore, the methodology is repetitive, uncreative, boring and isolated from teh environment outside. They devised the book and stick to it religiously. The teachers are very dogmatic and have already made up their minds about Latino students because of previous generations. Hence, you will not be taught how to use the dictionary, radicals, etc. unless you ask for and are very persistent. No nos tratan ni en serio ni igual. You need to be very "respectful" with the teachers and staff, lots of kowtowing. You make them lose face, or if they thing you are annoying, and you are out of this country in a heartbeat. Remember they control the visa thinghies. And may forget to pass on important information.

Housing around Shi-Da is getting way too expensive. The books have been divided up and will be even more expensive than before. The other places are using teh same books but you will not be paying as much in housing/food expenses.

That sounds like a right load of shite. Tell your buddy to come study Chinese at NCKU in Tainan.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 12 Aug 2010, 00:35

Icon wrote:My reply to an inquiry on a different topic:

Hi girl,

De veras me voy arrepentir???

Housing around Shi-Da is getting way too expensive. The books have been divided up and will be even more expensive than before. The other places are using teh same books but you will not be paying as much in housing/food expenses.[/quote]

I do agree that for the most part the teachers at Shi-Da or not very good. One even didn't tell me that the review meant a test.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 12 Aug 2010, 10:11

IF by "teaching" you mean reading from the book and leading a cacophonic chorus, well, yeah, then that's NTNU's teaching for you. It has nothing to do with the age of the instructors, but rather their attitude and lack of real training.

The thing is that they use the same tests, you see, and people pass around those, so "smart" students get good grades.

To all involved: get good grades, don't skip classes, kowtow and you'll be all right. You can do your own language learning outside -will have to, actually. The tests do not and will not reflect your learning. What you do in the classroom and what happens outisde are totally different worlds.

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 13 Aug 2010, 22:35

Icon wrote:IF by "teaching" you mean reading from the book and leading a cacophonic chorus, well, yeah, then that's NTNU's teaching for you. It has nothing to do with the age of the instructors, but rather their attitude and lack of real training.

The thing is that they use the same tests, you see, and people pass around those, so "smart" students get good grades.

To all involved: get good grades, don't skip classes, kowtow and you'll be all right. You can do your own language learning outside -will have to, actually. The tests do not and will not reflect your learning. What you do in the classroom and what happens outisde are totally different worlds.

I took a university course for the first book (different book/university) and I was generally unimpressed by the course. A lot of time and a lot of money to basically read thru the book. Zero creativity in lesson planning. I think there is very little chance that I'll go back. Now if I only had enough self discipline to self-study...
Abacus

133 Recommends(s)
137 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 14 Aug 2010, 11:26

There are other options in teaching -other universities, language schools, tutors- but unfortunately, we are stuck with that awful book per secula e seculorum....

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Learning Chinese