Favorite Chinese Character??

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Re: Favorite Chinese Character??

Postby TwoTongues » 01 Apr 2010, 14:13

huang2: obviously should mean "robot", but means "yellow" for some disturbing reason, perhaps implying that yellow Chinese people are all robots (actually huang2 zhong3 ren2 黃種人 is actually an old term for "Mongoloid"), or perhaps that Chinese are yellow (in the Back to the Future sense).
"Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber." - The Dude
Forumosan avatar
TwoTongues
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby drvelocity » 01 Apr 2010, 14:58

Good call with , actually a lot of people use this one in chat as an emoticon, since it looks like a sad face with a mouth. i.e. :cry:

I'd have to throw in my vote for..

Which scholars may recognize as the character for "one", a mathematical concept first invented by the Chinese in 600 B.C. It's a beast to write but I still find it beautiful despite the complexities.

二 and 三 come in a close 2nd and third.

For those of you who used Dragon, oh my God that is so typical, well guess what I see your dragon and I'll raise you two more. That's right, THREE FUCKING DRAGONS. (and mine are red)

Forumosan avatar
drvelocity
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 01 Apr 2010, 15:19

drvelocity wrote:For those of you who used Dragon, oh my God that is so typical, well guess what I see your dragon and I'll raise you two more. That's right, THREE FUCKING DRAGONS. (and mine are red)

Don't mess with the dragon, man.

I'll see you three and raise you one.

zhe2, 'loquacious'
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby drvelocity » 01 Apr 2010, 15:26

Owned :notworthy:
Forumosan avatar
drvelocity

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby petrarch1603 » 01 Apr 2010, 16:18

I'm partial to 亞 . Its so symmetrical and easy to identify. Sometimes it looks really nice, but that video store...I think its Asia One, butchers it in their logo.
"Do something every day that you don't want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain." -Mark Twain
petrarch1603
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

15 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby TwoTongues » 01 Apr 2010, 17:05

Dragonbones wrote:Don't mess with the dragon, man.

I'll see you three and raise you one.

zhe2, 'loquacious'

Does that make

無所不+zhe2 = Omniloquacious?
"Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber." - The Dude
Forumosan avatar
TwoTongues

2 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 01 Apr 2010, 17:31

is my favorite.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper

People are stupid everywhere, but there's something childlike and adorable about Taiwanese stupidity. - rowland
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1052 Recommends(s)
389 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 01 Apr 2010, 17:56

petrarch1603 wrote:I'm partial to 亞 . Its so symmetrical and easy to identify. Sometimes it looks really nice, but that video store...I think its Asia One, butchers it in their logo.

I hate it. Its hard as fuck to write and its in my so-called "Chinese name," which is why I NEVER use that name and refuse to acknowledge it. "What do you mean, my Chinese name? My parents never gave me one."
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 01 Apr 2010, 17:57

jimipresley wrote: is my favorite.

:lol:
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

367 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

Postby JFP » 01 Apr 2010, 21:52

If the nazis never existed, my favorite would be 卍 (wan4, ㄨㄢˋ)

:D
Forumosan avatar
JFP
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Learning Chinese