Maryknoll Taiwanese>English dictionary FREE for download!!

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Maryknoll Taiwanese>English dictionary FREE for download!!

Postby ironlady » 28 Jun 2010, 21:12

I just did a quick search to find the address for the Taichung Maryknoll center and what should pop up than a newish page (June 22) offering the full text of the Maryknoll dictionary for free in pdf or xls format!! It's under the Creative Commons license.

taiwanesedictionary.org/

A big THANK YOU to the Center and all their linguists for making this available in this way! Although I own the hard copy dictionary, I was thinking I would need to scan the darn thing to pdf.

Now all that is lacking is the iPhone app! :D
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius

This post was recommended by ehophi (16 Jun 2013, 18:21)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
321 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Re: Maryknoll Taiwanese>English dictionary FREE for download

Postby Chris » 28 Jun 2010, 21:23

Downloading right now!!

For Taiwanese, I also find the following site useful:

http://203.64.42.21/iug/Ungian/SoannTen ... Taihoa.asp
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

88 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby Joesox » 28 Jun 2010, 21:29

ironlady wrote:I just did a quick search to find the address for the Taichung Maryknoll center and what should pop up than a newish page (June 22) offering the full text of the Maryknoll dictionary for free in pdf or xls format!! It's under the Creative Commons license.

taiwanesedictionary.org/

A big THANK YOU to the Center and all their linguists for making this available in this way! Although I own the hard copy dictionary, I was thinking I would need to scan the darn thing to pdf.

Now all that is lacking is the iPhone app! :D
It might be worth exporting the .xls to a text file and then importing it to Anki.
Joesox
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Taffy » 29 Jun 2010, 15:02

It's great that they have released these dictionaries, and I believe they will be a real help to many learners of the language. Plans are afoot to develop this data into a fully-featured web-based open dictionary project; if you'd like to get involved, please let me know.
Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 29 Jun 2010, 20:37

Sure, that sounds like fun.
What I'd really like, though, is the iPhone/Android app -- NOT web-based. Eats up too much data when you're roaming.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
321 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Postby Taffy » 29 Jun 2010, 22:06

An offline mobile application would be ideal.
Taffy

104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Joesox » 29 Jun 2010, 22:14

Taffy wrote:An offline mobile application would be ideal.

Well, isn't that what the actual Anki app is? A native client that syncs with Anki online when you want it to? Haven't tried it but that's certainly what it looks like. If you haven't checked out the Anki site for a while you might be thinking of the widget/web app type thing they had before (though that apparently also had offline storage via Google Gears).
Joesox

7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Taffy » 29 Jun 2010, 23:13

Ankimobile would probably do the trick, but it's US$25. It looks very nicely implemented, but I'm not prepared to hand over that much to get the dictionary working on my phone.

Actually if you're using the iPhone a quick and dirty solution would be to turn the spreadsheet into a pdf, then add that to your iBooks library. The iBooks search function is powerful and presents results in a very handy format (i.e. it doesn't show you the whole page, but rather a relevant passage from the page, which would in this case be the single relevant entry). If I get time over the next few days I'll try that out.
Taffy

104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Joesox » 29 Jun 2010, 23:23

Taffy wrote:Ankimobile would probably do the trick, but it's US$25. It looks very nicely implemented, but I'm not prepared to hand over that much to get the dictionary working on my phone.
Ah, yes, there's no real point in getting Anki unless you want to do the whole SRS thing. Sorry, I thought that's what you and Ironlady were talking about but now I see that just getting the dictionary onto the phone is the main thing.

Taffy wrote:Actually if you're using the iPhone a quick and dirty solution would be to turn the spreadsheet into a pdf, then add that to your iBooks library. The iBooks search function is powerful and presents results in a very handy format (i.e. it doesn't show you the whole page, but rather a relevant passage from the page, which would in this case be the single relevant entry). If I get time over the next few days I'll try that out.
The PDF thing sounds easy and quick. Another option from my "I haven't actually tried this but it looks promising" selection is Bento. If you got the XLS into that it seems you might be able to set up some interesting stuff.
Joesox

7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Kobo-Daishi » 29 Jun 2010, 23:34

Dear all,

There doesn't seem to be a great correspondence between the characters and the Minnan Romanization.

There seems to be more characters than Romanized Minnan syllables for the above three entries.

Here they've mixed the characters for "face". A greater consistency would be welcomed.

Surely, xing1 qi1 isn't also pronounced li3 bai4 in Minnan.

Not an expert in Minnan but would guess the characters should be 字旁.

Unless, it's "side" 邊 and not 旁 "side".

I'd really like a character list with all the Minnan pronunciations in church Romanization as well but still this is a very good resource to have.

Kobo-Daishi, PLLA.
Kobo-Daishi
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Learning Chinese