Maryknoll Taiwanese>English dictionary FREE for download!!

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Re: Maryknoll Taiwanese>English dictionary FREE for download

Postby Taffy » 30 Jun 2010, 00:16

The only Taiwanese in there is in romanization. The characters and zhuyin are Mandarin glosses, not Taiwanese.
Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 30 Jun 2010, 00:23

The characters aren't supposed to be Minnan, they're Mandarin (somewhat classically-slanted to more closely match the Minnan.)

I got an e-mail from them telling me that they are aware there are some errors in correspondence (I mean glaring "this just isn't the right Mandarin entry for this one" stuff) in the file. They did the dictionary off a Word file which was produced from this file, and all the corrections went into the Word file, which is now unavailable. It's still amazingly nice of them to just let us have this, even if there are some small problems with it.

I tried converting this to .csv and uploading to Tap Files and to HanDBase -- no luck. I think the files are too big. I tried FlashCard (by OrangeOrApple.com, my flash card app of choice) as well but so far no luck -- server times out, so file is probably too big. I've got an e-mail in to the developer who usually answers amazingly quickly, so we'll see what he says.

I also did the .pdf thing, but the type is too small to be of much use, and the search function is clunky. (There are detailed English definitions so trying to use it English>Minnan isn't as efficient as you hit lots of things containing the English word you're searching on, for example.)

It doesn't make sense to use SMS on a list this big, as has been noted above. I just want it as a searchable reference.

I'll throw in NT$1000 towards the cost of getting someone on Rent-A-Coder to do an iPhone app for this if anyone's interested... :ponder:
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
335 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Postby chiao » 07 Feb 2011, 14:36

I know this thread's been down a while, but I contacted Morrison Iunn (of http://203.64.42.21/iug/ungian/soannteng/chil/taihoa.asp) some while back and he e-mailed me the source file for his dictionary. I've added quite a few English glosses to it and hope to augment it with the Maryknoll data, but it's A LOT more time-consuming than I had anticipated. If anyone wants to take turns at it and divide it up, let me know! There are something like 65k entires, so I'll be dead before I finish, most likely.

Chiao
chiao
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Re: Maryknoll Taiwanese>English dictionary FREE for download!!

Postby Kobo-Daishi » 05 Jun 2012, 06:25

Dear chiao,

chiao wrote:I know this thread's been down a while, but I contacted Morrison Iunn (of http://203.64.42.21/iug/ungian/soannteng/chil/taihoa.asp) some while back and he e-mailed me the source file for his dictionary. I've added quite a few English glosses to it and hope to augment it with the Maryknoll data, but it's A LOT more time-consuming than I had anticipated. If anyone wants to take turns at it and divide it up, let me know! There are something like 65k entires, so I'll be dead before I finish, most likely.

So, how's the project going?

Are we likely to see the dictionary soon?

The site you have linked to no longer seems to work.

Kobo-Daishi, PLLA.
Kobo-Daishi
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Kobo-Daishi » 16 Jun 2013, 18:12

Dear all,

Kobo-Daishi wrote:
chiao wrote:I know this thread's been down a while, but I contacted Morrison Iunn (of http://203.64.42.21/iug/ungian/soannteng/chil/taihoa.asp) some while back and he e-mailed me the source file for his dictionary. I've added quite a few English glosses to it and hope to augment it with the Maryknoll data, but it's A LOT more time-consuming than I had anticipated. If anyone wants to take turns at it and divide it up, let me know! There are something like 65k entires, so I'll be dead before I finish, most likely.

So, how's the project going?

Are we likely to see the dictionary soon?

The site you have linked to no longer seems to work.

I wrote that exactly 1 year ago.

It's obvious Chiao is not coming back. He's only ever written 1 post to these forums.

So, does anyone else have a copy of the Morrison Iunn file that he's talking about or an e-mail address for Morrison Iunn, seeing as his web site seems to be down.

Kobo.
Kobo-Daishi

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Kobo-Daishi » 21 Jun 2013, 08:11

Kobo-Daishi wrote a long time ago wrote:Image

Not an expert in Minnan but would guess the characters should be 字旁.

Unless, it's "side" 邊 and not 旁 "side".

It appears my first guess was correct.

Kobo-Daishi also wrote wrote:I'd really like a character list with all the Minnan pronunciations in church Romanization as well but still this is a very good resource to have.

Does anyone have such a list who's willing to share?

Kobo.
Kobo-Daishi

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Taffy » 21 Jun 2013, 09:37

There are a number of dictionaries available which have lists of colloquial and reading pronunciations of Chinese characters. Campbell's is the obvious one from early Peh-oe-ji history, but there are more comprehensive alternatives available nowadays. If you're looking for a computer-readable list, however, I'm afraid I can't help you.

Iunn Ungian's dictionary seems to move around a lot. Presently it's here: http://ip194097.ntcu.edu.tw/iug/Ungian/ ... Taihoa.asp
Taffy

104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby hansioux » 21 Jun 2013, 14:02

Taffy wrote:There are a number of dictionaries available which have lists of colloquial and reading pronunciations of Chinese characters. Campbell's is the obvious one from early Peh-oe-ji history, but there are more comprehensive alternatives available nowadays. If you're looking for a computer-readable list, however, I'm afraid I can't help you.

Iunn Ungian's dictionary seems to move around a lot. Presently it's here: http://ip194097.ntcu.edu.tw/iug/Ungian/ ... Taihoa.asp

that's the one I use, but it doesn't have the English dictionary part...
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
Forumosan avatar
hansioux
"Drinks for the House!"

594 Recommends(s)
638 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Kobo-Daishi » 22 Jun 2013, 08:36

Taffy wrote this three years ago wrote:Plans are afoot to develop this data into a fully-featured web-based open dictionary project; if you'd like to get involved, please let me know.

What about your project?

Kobo.
Kobo-Daishi

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Taffy » 22 Jun 2013, 10:26

I had a couple of interested people, and then I was told to wait for the new version of the Maryknoll dictionary, which was imminent.

Still imminent.
Taffy

104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Learning Chinese