Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

transcription/romanization of Taiwanese 藝苑

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

transcription/romanization of Taiwanese 藝苑

Postby rice_t » 12 Aug 2010, 21:11

I am looking for a way to write 藝苑 with English letters, the main challenge is the 藝. The goal is to write it in way that the native English speaker can pronounce it more or less the "right" way.

Which one of those would you think comes closest to the original Taiwanese pronounciation:

ge-oan
ghe-oan
gae-oan
gue-one

Any better ideas?

By the way can anyone tell me why it is called transcription as opposed to transscription?
Impeach Jason Hu!
Forumosan avatar
rice_t
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: transcription/romanization of Taiwanese 藝苑

Postby Chris » 13 Aug 2010, 08:34

ge-oan is the official POJ spelling.

However, if you want to spell it in a way easy for English speakers, perhaps "gay wan".
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

85 Recommends(s)
182 Recognized(s)

Postby lupillus » 13 Aug 2010, 08:53

Not completely related, but I always think of writing the sounds of another language down in English as transliteration, and recording English speech down in English as transcription. Does anyone else feel this way?

I think English eliminates a lot of redundant Ss in the middle of words, two Ss seem to exist mostly at the end of words but they indicate a longer "s" sound rather than a short "s" sound: tigr"ess" rather than tiger"s".

So I think even though the word is trans + scription, the reason maybe the word has only one "s" is because we don't hold the long "s" in the middle.
lupillus
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

5 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby rice_t » 13 Aug 2010, 09:05

Thanks for the replies.

Chris, what do you think about gae-wan, or how would you pronounce it if you had to?
Impeach Jason Hu!
Forumosan avatar
rice_t

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 13 Aug 2010, 09:50

What's the purpose of this? The name of a business? Knowing the purpose and intended target readership will help us come up with better suggestions.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

85 Recommends(s)
182 Recognized(s)

Postby rice_t » 13 Aug 2010, 13:06

Well, target readership, that is a good question. It is part of the name 合和藝苑 of an amateur nanguan group music an xiqu, not necessary too go into much detail here. They used Hap-Ho Academy" as their English name, but people from the department of cultural affairs have complained now that the group is not an academy. It is a long story, and I don't even know if I have all relevant information, so to cut it short, the group needs a name “in English”, and one option is a transcription of the Taiwanese. Anything will be better than the suggestion from the Dpt. of cultural affairs "HapHo Musical Group".
Impeach Jason Hu!
Forumosan avatar
rice_t

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby ādikarmika » 01 Jul 2012, 07:54

Anyone know of a converter that converts chinese characters to POJ?
I would have thought there would be one online, but I couldn't find anything.
the moon's too bright, the chain's too tight, the beast won't go to sleep
ādikarmika
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

6 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 01 Jul 2012, 09:05

Using a Romanization -- especially a Taiwanese Romanization -- for the part of the name that actually has meaning in explaining what the group is/does doesn't seem like the best idea to me.

What's so bad about the suggestion in English? (I don't know anything about this group, BTW, but it sounds plausible and certainly it's not bad English.) Or maybe something like "Arts Ensemble"?
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
76 Recommends(s)
306 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Learning Chinese