Short/Brief Chinese Classes

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Short/Brief Chinese Classes

Postby MK2 » 18 Nov 2010, 06:22

Is there anywhere in Taipei City, or Taipei County where I can take Chinese classes that are 1-2 weeks long?

I'm only in Taiwan for a short period of time, but would like to take some beginner Chinese classes if possible.
MK2
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Short/Brief Chinese Classes

Postby ironlady » 19 Nov 2010, 23:27

You mean something like a 10-hour course that would give you a grasp of the basics you need to communicate, without reading and writing?
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
73 Recommends(s)
285 Recognized(s)

Postby MK2 » 23 Nov 2010, 08:56

ironlady wrote:You mean something like a 10-hour course that would give you a grasp of the basics you need to communicate, without reading and writing?

Yeah - just basic conversational Chinese. I know this short term class is a drop in the bucket when it comes to learning Chinese. I just want to get a feel for what taking a Chinese class in Taiwan is like while I'm on vacation there.

I have an okay grasp on a lot of the basics - so this won't be my first Chinese class ever. I wouldn't mind taking the same material again if it was in Taiwan.
MK2

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby nancyxu » 23 Nov 2010, 13:00

Hi MK2, a Chinese phrase book may help you with your Chinese learning. It includes many daily words and expressions. What's more, it is talking! You can correct your pronunciation anywhere and anytime.
Forumosan avatar
nancyxu

Postby Dr. McCoy » 23 Nov 2010, 13:12

You can try the community center.
http://www.community.com.tw/detail.php?id=1939&heading= - Programs: Survival Chinese 1
Program Survival Chinese 1
Description Would you like to be able to communicate with shopkeepers, taxi drivers and co-workers? Then this class is for you. Learn spoken Mandarin in a relaxed and informal environment right here at the Community Services Center. Instructor: Gloria Gwo. NT$4200. 12 sessions. Meet @ The Center
Time 9:00 am - 10:20 am
Contact csc@community.com.tw
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Postby MK2 » 26 Nov 2010, 02:07

Dr. McCoy wrote:You can try the community center.
http://www.community.com.tw/detail.php?id=1939&heading= - Programs: Survival Chinese 1
Program Survival Chinese 1
Description Would you like to be able to communicate with shopkeepers, taxi drivers and co-workers? Then this class is for you. Learn spoken Mandarin in a relaxed and informal environment right here at the Community Services Center. Instructor: Gloria Gwo. NT$4200. 12 sessions. Meet @ The Center
Time 9:00 am - 10:20 am
Contact csc@community.com.tw

Cool - Thanks a lot for finding this. I will check some of the community centers.
MK2

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby ironlady » 26 Nov 2010, 09:09

TLI will organize a short-term class for you if what you're looking for is the "experience of a language class" rather than a comprehensively designed intensive course. They are actually getting more flexible, rather than less, as long as you are doing 1-on-1 lessons and don't need a visa from them.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
73 Recommends(s)
285 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 26 Nov 2010, 09:17

ironlady wrote:You mean something like a 10-hour course that would give you a grasp of the basics you need to communicate, without reading and writing?

10 HOUR course for basic communication without reading and writing?

Damn, I signed up for the 10 YEAR course. :doh:
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby DurianGris » 22 Dec 2010, 15:46

Hi there,

I'm in a very similar case as MK2: I'm on vacation for less than a month, have a lot of free time and want to take the opportunity to improve my Chinese.
But I am a bit more advanced than "survival chinese", I came to Shi-Da's MTC few years ago and was on the book #4.

Do you know any place where I could take classes for short term? Schools like Shi-Da don't take students for only few weeks.

Thanks
DurianGris

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 22 Dec 2010, 17:48

They DO take students only for a few weeks now, providing you're doing 1-to-1 and give them enough notice...

You can try asking to just join in their small group classes, they might let you join for a few weeks (less likely).

Don't know anywhere else though... sorry :(
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Learning Chinese