Be Careful!

NB. Many foreign residents in Taiwan are not eligible to volunteer. To be sure you are not breaking any laws, seek written authorization from the foreign affairs police or other relevant agency

Be Careful!

Postby Enigma » 19 Jun 2012, 18:44

Unless you have an APRC, your skating on thin ice. If the ice is thin and you see the sign and keep going - dont complain when it gives way. I and a friend, before our Aprc, offerred to do free English lessons at Banciou Governmet offices. Totally free for all Banqiao and Tuchen Workers. The very next day, we both got a visist from immigration. No terrible consequences but we were both told in very stern language that we could be (killed) (expelled) (budgened) Neither of us us fully understood but got the idea that we were forbidden henceforth of thinking about teaching English for free. My surmise was that that have already learned of my terching skills.
Enigma
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Re: Be Careful!

Postby Homey » 19 Jun 2012, 20:10

How dare you try to help Taiwanese people for free.

Volunteering and caring about others is just terrible. Good hearted people like you aren't wanted in this country.

Sheesh even China has their head out of their ass on this issue. It not uncommon to have foreigners volunteering there without fear of being booted.
Why not???

If you are what you eat, then I guess that makes me "fast, cheap, and easy"!
Forumosan avatar
Homey
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

2 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 19 Jun 2012, 21:05

This may actually be the dumbest thing I have EVER heard.

So, since people cook, clean, sweep and do laundry for a living, I am not allow to do these things since it is "volunteering"?

I will try to use this excuse on my wife (though, this then may be my last post ever) :bicker:
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 20 Jun 2012, 02:06

I believe the sweatshop-like exploitation of husbands to accomplish small household tasks is quite legal in the ROC. :D
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
74 Recommends(s)
286 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 20 Jun 2012, 09:05

Did you offer lessons to the Immigration officials?
At retail rates?
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

3 Recommends(s)
216 Recognized(s)

Postby achdizzy1099 » 20 Jun 2012, 12:32

Foreigners can't volunteer because, if they were allowed to, all work could simply be called volunteering and collecting taxes would be a nightmare.

The government sets the rules up to favor the locals. That's sort of a 'no-duh' kind of policy :grin: ! If you, and the other 10 - 20k foreigners, were allowed to just schlep around, teaching for 'free', than the government would lose revenue from untaxed income AND see Taiwanese residents put out of work (Buxibans, learning centers, etc.). The latter being more important.

It is most likely that you were turned in to immigration by a local. It was either a person associated with a school that saw you giving away something they charge money for, or, just Binglang McGreenplate :moped: hating on foreigners for being successful.

Your story is pretty well documented on this forum as being a 'no-no' :no-no: . Never teach in the open without the law on your side!

T
Some people have a big mouth.....
Forumosan avatar
achdizzy1099
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

5 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan_Student » 05 Jul 2012, 13:28

And you must know that it is customary to give a nice red envelope to you after your "volunteer" teaching.

I'm not saying that you would accept money in that way. But that is what a lot of people do. Not just English Teaching. Everything from Bus Tour Guide to the guy who fixes your roof.

Just get married. Get an APRC or become a missionary and then you can volunteer to your heart's content.

That said, the government should have rule regarding allowing people to perform music in public at coffee houses, poetry readings and open mike nights.
Taiwan_Student

22 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby 2Enigma » 19 Jul 2012, 00:04

TheGingerMan wrote:Did you offer lessons to the Immigration officials?
At retail rates?

While getting things squared away at what was then FAP in Hsinchu County (Now immigration does that) when I first got here, some 12 years ago, I was just trying to get my first ARC and the head of FAP in Hsinchu County approached and asked if I was willing to teach English to some of the office workers. What can ya say? What should you say? My response, after careful consideration, was, "Well, I guess I am willing but only if, in your consideration, I will not be in violation of your laws. If I won't get in trouble, then I will be pleased to help out in any way I can." I had private students right from the start and at a rate which I consider high, even today. I wouldn't count on that working anymore.
Keep ye company with those who seek truth and run from those who have found it.
Edited from Václav Havel
2Enigma

38 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

Postby oceanrealm2000 » 03 Aug 2012, 14:10

Is it illegal for holders of ARC's to volunteer as well? I'm about to head to Taiwan to teach English (will be getting my ARC with assistance from my academy), but I really want to volunteer on the weekends doing whatever I can to help in the community. So is it still illegal even if I have an ARC?

Any info is much appreciated :)
oceanrealm2000
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Belgian Pie » 03 Aug 2012, 14:14

oceanrealm2000 wrote:Is it illegal for holders of ARC's to volunteer as well? I'm about to head to Taiwan to teach English (will be getting my ARC with assistance from my academy), but I really want to volunteer on the weekends doing whatever I can to help in the community. So is it still illegal even if I have an ARC?

Any info is much appreciated :)

Of course it's illegal, for every job (employer) you need a remark in your ARC
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
62 Recognized(s)

Next

Return to Volunteering in Taiwan