WCIF a place to do weightlifting in Hualian?

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

WCIF a place to do weightlifting in Hualian?

Postby melenhead » 23 Jun 2012, 09:27

I tried doing some online research in Chinese and English but still have not found what I am looking for in Hualian:

- A place to do weightlifting. I came across this place, Yawei, but it seems like it just has cardio equipment (treadmills, bikes) and exercise classes. Does anyone know if it has a weight room? I tried translating but maybe I am missing something. Or if there is some kind of community gym like the Taipei YMCA fitness centers?

Update so far:
A Hualian resident told me that the only place is the Yawei place (http://yawei.com.tw/) I mentioned above. They have two locations, Hualian and Ji'An, but he says only the main gym in Hualian has weight lifting equipment. The Ji'An branch just has a pool.

If anyone knows of any other places please let me know.
melenhead
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Re: WCIF a place to do weightlifting in Hualian?

Postby marasan » 27 Jul 2012, 15:22

Here's a good place:
http://yawei.com.tw/
Hai-An Road No. 1-100
Pool and weight room (both free weights and machines). A bit pricey (I think 400 for one visit), but you can buy a booklet of tickets that work out to 250 NT per visit. They have various classes and they are just full of people, but the weight room is not so crowded.
marasan
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

20 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 27 Jul 2012, 17:20

by a coincidence, I was wondering about this only today.

yawei in Meilun is expensive if you just want weights, and I've heard issues with the pool not being that well maintained (contractors leaving pieces of metal, screws, on the bottom). The Ji'an branch is indeed only a small pool and spa, no gym there.

But I can't believe that's all there is here, there must be some sweaty, smelly, non air-conned backstreet shack where you can lift iron.
Gonna to get the wife to do some investigation...
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

74 Recommends(s)
103 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 27 Jul 2012, 18:10

she investigated... I cut'n'pasted, but these places could be anything. Perhaps StreetView them?

quick edit, 1,3 & 5 look the same

2. 健康瑜伽中心 973花蓮縣吉安鄉中山路1段72號 03-8541972
4. 中華日健(股)成美健康中心 970花蓮縣花蓮市華民街6號 03-8233376

1. 健身院   970花蓮縣花蓮市中山路316號4樓 03-8342543
3. 太陽神健身院 970花蓮縣花蓮市中山路314號3樓 03-8338006
5. 徐名揚  970花蓮縣花蓮市中山路314號3樓 03-8338006

Forumosan avatar
Nuit

74 Recommends(s)
103 Recognized(s)

Postby melenhead » 31 Jul 2012, 08:22

Thank you so much! As a female and relatively new to lifting I still am a little intimidated. I know I probably won't find anything like Formosa Fitness, but once I move to Hualian I will check out these places. I will report back by the end of the month, I hope. Thanks for the information.
melenhead

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Formosa Fitness » 31 Jul 2012, 08:50

melenhead wrote:Thank you so much! As a female and relatively new to lifting I still am a little intimidated. I know I probably won't find anything like Formosa Fitness, but once I move to Hualian I will check out these places. I will report back by the end of the month, I hope. Thanks for the information.

Haha. i told my wife a few days ago that I'd like to eventually look for a house around there. :)
We are a foreign owned and operated full service gym in Taipei specializing in serious fitness. Check us out: http://formosafitness.com/
Forumosan avatar
Formosa Fitness
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

104 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

Postby melenhead » 31 Jul 2012, 22:37

Yes! You need to open a Hualian branch!
melenhead

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 16 Aug 2012, 08:01

In Hualian? Not that I know of. It's not a big town.
There's a good chance even the places I listed are anything but weightlifting joints, although I haven't checked them out.

Forumosan avatar
Nuit

74 Recommends(s)
103 Recognized(s)

Postby melenhead » 07 Sep 2012, 13:58

I still have to check these places one day but they are a little out of my area:
2. 健康瑜伽中心 973花蓮縣吉安鄉中山路1段72號 03-8541972 Yoga
4. 中華日健(股)成美健康中心 970花蓮縣花蓮市華民街6號 03-8233376

I checked the following places but nada:
1. 健身院   970花蓮縣花蓮市中山路316號4樓 03-8342543 This number is no longer in service. Also, see note re: #3
3. 太陽神健身院 970花蓮縣花蓮市中山路314號3樓 03-8338006 The woman who answered knew I was looking for the Taiyang Gym since she said many people have called about it in the past. But she said it seems like the information posted online is wrong. It is a clinic. I though maybe it was just the phone number that was wrong however when I rode to the location it is a definitely a medical clinic, not a gym.
5. 徐名揚  970花蓮縣花蓮市中山路314號3樓 03-8338006 Same as above.

Yawei seems okay. The weight room was at the very back and a few people were using the equipment. It seemed to have the basics. The busiest areas were the treadmill/stationary bike area and the workout class studio, as well. But all these are near the front. I like that I can walk to the very back and hide out in the weight area. I will check out the other places (#2, #4) but I like that Yawei is across from the beach bike/walking path. It opens early (5am-10:45am, lunch break, then reopens until 11:30pm). It also as an outdoor track next door with some bleachers. I am not sure if it is part of Yawei or just part of a the outdoor stadium. They are advertising 2500NT a month, or 5000NT for three months, 7500NT for 6 months. That includes usage of all facilities as well as classes. I still have to find out if the monthly fee allows you to use the pool at the Zhongzheng location. I might try it out for a month and keep looking. So if anyone knows of other places I am still interested!

I miss Formosa Fitness... :(
melenhead

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 07 Sep 2012, 15:18

I was afraid that would happen when you checked out those places :oops:, but hey, at least you have Yawei. I've never used the weights area, but agree that the place itself is well located. If you join the Zhongzheng pool (which is far cheaper), then you definitely don''t get reciprocal use at Yawei, but it is worth checking if that could work in reverse.

Still find it surprising that there's no other place to do weights here. Yawei has only been open 4 years or so, what did people do before that?

Forumosan avatar
Nuit

74 Recommends(s)
103 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Health and Fitness