Exercises for the knee?

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Re: Exercises for the knee?

Postby divea » 02 Aug 2011, 17:22

Jack Burton wrote:try strengthening the muscles above and below the knee. it's not like there are knee muscles.

Also, my qigong teacher taught me a great exercise: you bend your knees, feet and legs together. You place each hand on one knee in a c-shape (your hand) cupping around the knee. By now, you should be bending over a bit. then you rotate your knee in clockwise and counter-clockwise circles. As you get stronger, your circles get bigger, and the movement should be deeper where, at top of the movement, your legs are straight, and at the bottom, your knees are completely bent and your bum touches your feet. hope that's not a confusing description.

I learnt Tai'chi in China for nearly a year, but even that was very hard on my knees. Actually I had forgotten about that, Thanks your post. It took me there. (I'd completely forgotten those lessons the husband and I took together),and this was pre-pregnancy, 7 years younger. Hmmmmm :ponder:
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
321 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 02 Aug 2011, 17:26

StuartCa wrote:When my knees were swelling up I found that Tumeric helped a lot, but I guess that being in India you get lots of that in your diet.

I do have lot of turmeric in my diet. I'l think about more calcium and ofcourse exercising!
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea

ORIGINAL POSTER
321 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 02 Aug 2011, 23:13

Ice. To reduce inflammation. You can also try ibuprofen.

As weird as it sounds also try strengthening exercises when you are not in class. Stand about 2 feet from a wall, and then lean back keeping your feet on the floor. Squat down so that you work your thigh muscles. Try holding for a minute.

If you have one of those exercise balls use that against your back.

Lunges with light weights are also great.

“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

635 Recognized(s)

Postby The Daily Drucker » 12 Aug 2011, 13:33

There is some rehab corrective stretching and strengthening exercies here. As long as there is no damage to the connective tissues or sinovial fluid disc. This is SMR Self Myofacial Release. (self massage) Cheap and can help tremendously. As you age deviations tend to start pulling your knee out of alignment. Here is some stretching exercises to help. Typically the small sharp pains located in the knee typically come from deviated muscle and they must be rehabilitated for better flexibility.

IT Band Knee hip stabilization, too tight pulls knee to the outside and pinches joint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbT_OC5LQyA

Adductor for hip knee stability too tight it will start to pull knee inside and pinches joint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezz_rncHEwM

Hamstring for ACL support and pelvis placement posture realignment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXG4xnzvf6o

Glutes and Periformis for hip stabalization and posture realignment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScTMHzUXdTM&NR=1

Quadracep, intermedius, and laterallus and Medialus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1xI25pBlKw

I am not sure what exactly is going on with your knee as there are some tests to find out exactly but I would recommend starting here. Also begin stabilization exercises using a bosu ball.
This is the goal to get to. Begin by just being able to balance on it first, then add weight etc etc. This will help stabilize after the flexibility rehab.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwnNQOIKIZc

Hope this helps. It is a typical problem I have seen many times and have helped people rehab out of. It takes a couple of weeks 3-4 times a week with SMR then start stabalization exercises. Don't use weight, body weight is more than enough. There are tons of rehab videos, I just know of these because I have used them in demos.

I really hope this helps, just to let you know, alot can be corrected just from wearing the correct shoes. Alot of the things you are going through, alot of people have experienced the same and there is a way out. Hope this helps!!!!!
World Gym Neihu District
www.worldgymtaiwan.com
Here We Grow Again!!!!
Forumosan avatar
The Daily Drucker
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby divea » 16 Aug 2011, 04:00

Muzha Man wrote:Ice. To reduce inflammation. You can also try ibuprofen.

This works!! And the pain is getting lesser each time, so maybe I just need to get used to it. Now I can do .....a lot more. LOL
- Leo Roston
divea

ORIGINAL POSTER
321 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby Yurtle » 16 Aug 2011, 04:37

Forumosan avatar
Yurtle
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Carney125 » 09 May 2012, 22:02

Yoga is the best exercise for the knee. It makes the knees stronger and removes the knee pain.
I am doing yoga exercises regularly for 3 month. I get extra ordinary results from yoga for removing my body pain.
It removed my knee, and back pain, controlled my blood pressure and improved my heat working.
Carney125

Postby Indiana » 09 May 2012, 22:19

I believe that knee pain is very common in folks who are carrying a bit too much weight. I think that the best short-term solution would be to strengthen them through exercise and to also see an orthopedic doctor (you may have tendonitis and need physiotherapy).

This might sound harsh, but for the long term you might want to think about getting your weight down. The reason I say this is that it will continue to get much, much worse for you in the future if your knees keep enduring the inevitable wear and tear from carrying extra weight over the years. My best friend here in the UAE is in her mid-40's and used to be obese...she got her weight down quite a bit but is still overweight, and her knees are shot from carrying extra weight around for so many years. She struggles to exercise now because of the pain and is always on painkillers.
Forumosan avatar
Indiana
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

4 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Health and Fitness