Herbal remedy blamed for high cancer rate in Taiwan

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Re: Herbal remedy blamed for high cancer rate in Taiwan

Postby Confuzius » 11 Apr 2012, 00:54

Tempo Gain wrote:
Confuzius wrote:
That's if youre too lazy to find an actual doctor-one that tailor makes your remedies for you. If you just go to carefour or 711 and buy the stuff on the shelf without knowing what is in it, then yeah, you could get anything.

No problem there, now you're taking a combination of herbs from which the one herb can be definitively excluded. But are you gonna say, hey doc, there's no madouling in there is there? Or what's the mechanism of definitive exclusion?

When you go to a TCM doc, they ask for your allergies just like a western doc. Tell them do not put whatever you do not want (madouling in this case) in there....and they won't.

Perrrty simple.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 11 Apr 2012, 01:06

That's cool.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

288 Recommends(s)
295 Recognized(s)

Chinese herbal remedy causes cancer

Postby Zla'od » 11 Apr 2012, 07:11

Realizing that both the study and the journalism should be taken cum grano salis, there is this:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/herbal-remedy- ... 39835.html
Narrated Umar ibn al-Khattab
Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) forbade withdrawing the penis from a free woman unless she gives permission. Ibn Majah transmitted it. (Tirmidhi Hadith, Number 950)
Zla'od
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

73 Recognized(s)

Postby Mr He » 11 Apr 2012, 08:58

Crikey - no TCM for my kids. (I have never touched it anyways).

OK, going off topic.

A former co-worker and US PhD in some sort of bioscience told me that Taiwan has the same number of liver cancer cases in absolute terms as all of Western Europe. (I think she said Western Europe and USA, however my memory is blurry on that one.)

Apart from hepatitis B and C, she mentioned that TCM was to blame for this, would any of you know about that?

The main issue is that you in TCM often concentrate herbs, which are polluted with whatever effluent A-huang's factory lets out, and then ingest this concentrated potion, supposedly for your health.

Anyone else having any info on this?
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

52 Recommends(s)
74 Recognized(s)

Postby milkalex » 11 Apr 2012, 15:09

The german press is already covering that story http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/medizin/0,1518,826636,00.html, they say that products with that herb are already forbidden in Taiwan since 2003...
milkalex
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

7 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Impaler » 15 Apr 2012, 08:29

Sounds a bit like Indian "ayurvedic medicine". Some of the crap they feed people in the name of "health" is deadly and is accumulative.

I came here to post about this study, just saw it in the news here. Oh well, I guess you folks are already aware of it.
It's amazing what getting out of the care of the Scottish National Health Service can do for your life expectancy.

"Mostly, nature looks after itself, if you let it. If you arrange things correctly, nature will do all the hard work for you, but it takes a lot of careful thought, planning, attention to detail, and a little experimentation. In other words, we're all doomed." -- finley
Forumosan avatar
Impaler

2 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 15 Apr 2012, 08:49

Now now a bit of balance required, common prescription medicines can also damage kidneys and livers if over used.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1563 Recommends(s)
569 Recognized(s)

Postby PapaAzucar » 18 Apr 2012, 10:38

PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Mr He » 19 Apr 2012, 15:33

headhonchoII wrote:Now now a bit of balance required, common prescription medicines can also damage kidneys and livers if over used.

Yes, however in western medicine, we test intensively, and when something like this happens, we pull the substance off the shelves very fast. There are procedures for this, and compensation is paid, wonder if this will happen to poor ms. wang, who has been eating the concoctions of some quack for several years, and now goes to dialysis twice a week as a result.
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

52 Recommends(s)
74 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 19 Apr 2012, 15:45

No I mean there are many prescription drugs that are over prescribed and abused, especially in Taiwan. This is also a factor in livers being damaged.

Also, some people have higher genetic susceptibility to approved drugs, again this is not tested for.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1563 Recommends(s)
569 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Health and Fitness