WCIF Allergist or Allergy medication?

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

WCIF Allergist or Allergy medication?

Postby PapaAzucar » 18 Apr 2012, 08:26

Does anyone know of an allergy specialist doctor, and not the Chinese herbal medicine traditionalist (which others keep referring me to).
I'm also looking for what are over-the-counter medications (without prescriptions) in the US like Zytec, Claritin or Allegra.
Anyone know where to find those medications?

Thanks.

Edit: Sorry to cross-post this, but I am sort of in desperate need.
https://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=94846&p=1416338#p1416338
PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 309
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 12 Dec 2011, 08:54
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)



Re: WCIF Allergist or Allergy medication?

Postby the bear » 18 Apr 2012, 08:47

PapaAzucar wrote:Does anyone know of an allergy specialist doctor, and not the Chinese herbal medicine traditionalist (which others keep referring me to).
I'm also looking for what are over-the-counter medications (without prescriptions) in the US like Zytec, Claritin or Allegra.
Anyone know where to find those medications?

Thanks.

Edit: Sorry to cross-post this, but I am sort of in desperate need.
https://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=94846&p=1416338#p1416338


You can get Allegra at most big pharmacies. (I got some yesterday in Hsinchu). Anywhere there's a hospital in Taiwan there'll be dispensing pharmacies in the vicinity. Write down Allegra on a piece of paper. If you say it they'll think you mean Viagra :cool: . Otherwise point to your nose and say "bizi guoming". Right now allergies are hitting hard because of the rapid weather changes.

oh if you're in Taipei head to the City Super in the basement of the big green Sogo (Zhongxiao/Fuxing). They deffo have Allegra there, 100 a strip max.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 3851
Joined: 14 Jul 2003, 14:45
Location: Taipei City
30 Recommends(s)
107 Recognized(s)



Re: WCIF Allergist or Allergy medication?

Postby Icon » 18 Apr 2012, 09:53

If you are in Taipei, go to Shanghai Pharmacy, on Hangzhou Road, they have the best prices for Allegra and Zyrtec.

However, most hospitals have decent allergy doctors, who can do all the battery of tests required for a small fee, very cheap, and get you a nice supply of Zyrtec for the consultation fee. I get mine at my next door ENT and for 150nts, I get a month. :D
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 15255
Joined: 09 Feb 2006, 18:03
Location: Xindian
722 Recommends(s)
567 Recognized(s)



Re: WCIF Allergist or Allergy medication?

Postby PapaAzucar » 18 Apr 2012, 10:55

the bear wrote:oh if you're in Taipei head to the City Super in the basement of the big green Sogo (Zhongxiao/Fuxing). They deffo have Allegra there, 100 a strip max.


Icon wrote:If you are in Taipei, go to Shanghai Pharmacy, on Hangzhou Road, they have the best prices for Allegra and Zyrtec.

However, most hospitals have decent allergy doctors, who can do all the battery of tests required for a small fee, very cheap, and get you a nice supply of Zyrtec for the consultation fee. I get mine at my next door ENT and for 150nts, I get a month. :D

Yes and Thanks! I am in Taipei. Do you need a prescription or show them the National Insurance card to buy Allegra, Zyrtec or Claritin?
I don't have a card yet.
Even if I do have a card, I don't know if I have time to go see a doctor...maybe one of the family practitioners that stay open till 9pm. That is one thing about Taiwan over the US is that the doctors and dentists offices stay open late.
PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 309
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 12 Dec 2011, 08:54
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)



Re: WCIF Allergist or Allergy medication?

Postby the bear » 18 Apr 2012, 11:51

PapaAzucar wrote:
the bear wrote:oh if you're in Taipei head to the City Super in the basement of the big green Sogo (Zhongxiao/Fuxing). They deffo have Allegra there, 100 a strip max.


Icon wrote:If you are in Taipei, go to Shanghai Pharmacy, on Hangzhou Road, they have the best prices for Allegra and Zyrtec.

However, most hospitals have decent allergy doctors, who can do all the battery of tests required for a small fee, very cheap, and get you a nice supply of Zyrtec for the consultation fee. I get mine at my next door ENT and for 150nts, I get a month. :D

Yes and Thanks! I am in Taipei. Do you need a prescription or show them the National Insurance card to buy Allegra, Zyrtec or Claritin?
I don't have a card yet.
Even if I do have a card, I don't know if I have time to go see a doctor...maybe one of the family practitioners that stay open till 9pm. That is one thing about Taiwan over the US is that the doctors and dentists offices stay open late.


Nah its all OTC. Buy at least 3 strips so you don't run out.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 3851
Joined: 14 Jul 2003, 14:45
Location: Taipei City
30 Recommends(s)
107 Recognized(s)



Re: WCIF Allergist or Allergy medication?

Postby Icon » 18 Apr 2012, 14:26

3 strips? We buy 3 boxes on one trip. :lol:

PapaAzucar, then wait until you have the NHI to go to the hospital/doctor. Normal visit to a doctor with NHI is 150nts, average. Without? Over 600nts.

Take into consideration that the doctor may prescribe a generic of the same medication -the generic for Zyrtec, for instance.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 15255
Joined: 09 Feb 2006, 18:03
Location: Xindian
722 Recommends(s)
567 Recognized(s)



Re: WCIF Allergist or Allergy medication?

Postby Icon » 18 Apr 2012, 14:31

Icon wrote:If you are in Taipei, go to Shanghai Pharmacy, on Hengyang Road, they have the best prices for Allegra and Zyrtec.

However, most hospitals have decent allergy doctors, who can do all the battery of tests required for a small fee, very cheap, and get you a nice supply of Zyrtec for the consultation fee. I get mine at my next door ENT and for 150nts, I get a month. :D


EDIT: address: 衡陽路32號 / Héngyáng Lù 32 Hào / Hengyang Rd., No. 32
Take Zhonghe Line to National Taiwan University Hospital Station, cross 228 park towards Hengyang road.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 15255
Joined: 09 Feb 2006, 18:03
Location: Xindian
722 Recommends(s)
567 Recognized(s)



Re: WCIF Allergist or Allergy medication?

Postby PapaAzucar » 20 May 2012, 20:02

Icon wrote:EDIT: address: 衡陽路32號 / Héngyáng Lù 32 Hào / Hengyang Rd., No. 32
Take Zhonghe Line to National Taiwan University Hospital Station, cross 228 park towards Hengyang road.

Thanks Icon!!!

I finally had the chance to stop by this pharmacy. The English sign said something like Viceroy (???), and not Shanghai Pharmacy, but I found it based on the address No. 32 Hengyang Rd.
It has about 90% of the stuff that I get from the US, but cheaper.
Boy...how the drug industry is raping the US consumers.

What are normally prescription medicine in the US can be bought without a prescription here, which is pretty interesting.
I'm not sure how well this system would translate in the US--maybe drive down the health care costs?
Heaven forbid that US have affordable health care...
PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 309
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 12 Dec 2011, 08:54
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)



Re: WCIF Allergist or Allergy medication?

Postby Mucha Man » 20 May 2012, 20:22

I need to go for all the tests when I get back. Any hospital or doctor recommendations and do I need to see a GP first for a referral to an allergist or just ask to see one when I register?
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 18646
Joined: 01 Nov 2001, 17:01
Location: Mucha, of course
802 Recognized(s)



Re: WCIF Allergist or Allergy medication?

Postby kau826 » 26 May 2012, 11:06

Muzha Man wrote:I need to go for all the tests when I get back. Any hospital or doctor recommendations and do I need to see a GP first for a referral to an allergist or just ask to see one when I register?

I'm based in central Taiwan, so Taichung Veterans General Hospital (VGH) is my recommendation. Basically any hospital with outpatient clinics of allergist/rheumatologist should have most of the tests, but there're even more in Taichung VGH, which are very complete in my opinion. But you'd better bear in mind that under the pressure of NHI, most doctors would do some preliminary tests before going thoroughly, not to mention that it costs higher in medical center and you have to wait longer. And if you are very sure about your problem, it's not compulsory to go to the GP first for a referral.
kau826
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)
 
Posts: 71
Joined: 15 Apr 2008, 01:12
Location: Chung-hua county, Taichung
6 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next




Proceed to Health and Fitness



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 visitor

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die the world cries and you rejoice -- INDIAN SAYING