Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

WCIF Allergist or Allergy medication?

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Re: WCIF Allergist or Allergy medication?

Postby Battery9 » 26 May 2012, 11:44

do you guys use that nasal cleaner torture machine? It's really good. You can buy it at some pharmacies. You place some salt and water into the bottle, then shove a pipe up your nose and it runs through and out the other nostril. Cleared a headache I couldn't get rid of with meds. And found a lost remote control. Awesome stuff.
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

27 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 26 May 2012, 13:10

kau826 wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:I need to go for all the tests when I get back. Any hospital or doctor recommendations and do I need to see a GP first for a referral to an allergist or just ask to see one when I register?

I'm based in central Taiwan, so Taichung Veterans General Hospital (VGH) is my recommendation. Basically any hospital with outpatient clinics of allergist/rheumatologist should have most of the tests, but there're even more in Taichung VGH, which are very complete in my opinion. But you'd better bear in mind that under the pressure of NHI, most doctors would do some preliminary tests before going thoroughly, not to mention that it costs higher in medical center and you have to wait longer. And if you are very sure about your problem, it's not compulsory to go to the GP first for a referral.

Thanks. Do you mean I have to pay for the tests, or just that you pay a higher service fee at hospitals?
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

771 Recognized(s)

Postby kau826 » 26 May 2012, 13:42

Muzha Man wrote:Thanks. Do you mean I have to pay for the tests, or just that you pay a higher service fee at hospitals?

Sorry, I didn't make it clearer :oops: . And no, you don't have to pay for "most" of the tests. But some of the allergen-identifying kits, especially for the rare allergens, are not under the coverage of NHI. And yes, you just have to pay a higher service fee at that kind of hospitals.
kau826
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 26 May 2012, 13:50

kau826 wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:Thanks. Do you mean I have to pay for the tests, or just that you pay a higher service fee at hospitals?

Sorry, I didn't make it clearer :oops: . And no, you don't have to pay for "most" of the tests. But some of the allergen-identifying kits, especially for the rare allergens, are not under the coverage of NHI. And yes, you just have to pay a higher service fee at that kind of hospitals.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure my allergies are standard mold, dust and pollens. Especially mold.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

771 Recognized(s)

Postby coupdeGraced » 18 Mar 2013, 15:54

Icon wrote:If you are in Taipei, go to Shanghai Pharmacy, on Hangzhou Road, they have the best prices for Allegra and Zyrtec.

However, most hospitals have decent allergy doctors, who can do all the battery of tests required for a small fee, very cheap, and get you a nice supply of Zyrtec for the consultation fee. I get mine at my next door ENT and for 150nts, I get a month. :D

You get a month worth of supply?? How? I just came back from a dermatologist who prescribed me Allegra for my skin allergies, but only for 3 days. I asked if I could have more and she said the NHI only covers 3 days at a time, or you can self-pay and get more.

Luckily I work near this Shanghai Pharmacy you mentioned :discodance: Will definitely make a trip one of these days, so thanks for the tip!
Forumosan avatar
coupdeGraced
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

5 Recommends(s)

Postby taiwansteve » 18 Jun 2013, 16:03

I get three months supply of allergy and asthma meds from my docs. I guess you guys don't have the good docs.
taiwansteve
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Health and Fitness