Taiwanese people - bruises / marks on legs?

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Taiwanese people - bruises / marks on legs?

Postby aphasiac » 01 May 2012, 01:39

At my cram school a noticeable numbers of younger students have their legs covered in little red/brown bruises or marks of some kind. A number of the female teachers also seem to suffer from this condition; seems to affect the lower legs and shins more prominently, sometimes upper legs but never arms or face.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Is it some skin condition, or just bruising from riding on the back of a scooter badly? Just curious as it seems so wide-spread.
aphasiac
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Re: Taiwanese people - bruises / marks on legs?

Postby Tempo Gain » 01 May 2012, 01:48

I've heard someone say the prevailing skin type here lends itself to long term bruising/scarring.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

323 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 01 May 2012, 01:52

There are a lot of mosquito bites in the lower-leg area, too. Those can lead to bruising.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1029 Recommends(s)
388 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 01 May 2012, 02:00

Stop looking at those places and look at their faces and don't think too much. Smile more. :)
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

84 Recommends(s)
164 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003

Postby Belgian Pie » 01 May 2012, 16:43

Mosquito and fleabites ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
81 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 01 May 2012, 17:02

Everyone has had one or more brushes with a scooter or scooter muffler, or ground from falling off a scooter, or ground just because all the streets and stairs and everything else is so uneven.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

6 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 01 May 2012, 17:05

mosquito bites. My kids are COVERED in scars. Some 'cool' guys burn their arms on purpose with cigarettes.
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

27 Recognized(s)

Postby tcm.sifu » 22 May 2012, 21:34

Battery9 wrote:mosquito bites. My kids are COVERED in scars. Some 'cool' guys burn their arms on purpose with cigarettes.

That's suppose to be cool? Are they like teenage bikers or something?
tcm.sifu
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby mukashi » 06 Jun 2012, 10:50

There are some kind of bugs here (tiny ones) that their bites scar for pretty long. I think most Taiwanese just scratch it and makes it worse, they don't think that this is anything bad or special to have legs marked like that, but for foreigners it looks kind of scary I guess.

Scooter burns possible too... they heal for very long (learnt that one on myself :( )

Agnes
Forumosan avatar
mukashi
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

38 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Health and Fitness