Hsinchu: Gyms and supps!?

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Hsinchu: Gyms and supps!?

Postby Wheybrotein » 21 May 2012, 07:49

I know this has been asked before, but most of the information is outdated and I'd like some up-to-date info pls...

I'll be moving to Hsinchu in June 2012 and a couple of things will really make my experience a lot better...

These being: 1) a decent gym. 2) access to whey protein and poss. creatine.

1... I need a gym that allows deadlifting. It needs to have free weights, oly barbells and squat racks. And dumbbells that go up to 50kg (100lbs +) (Also I use chalk, but if they don't allow it, I'll sneak it in...) Can you give me locations and prices please...

2... I'll be bringing beta alanine and green tea extract with me and about 500gs of whey. But there's no chance I can bring a tub of creatine, pouches of protein and hundreds of multis/ fish oil. So, Where can I buy quality fish oil, multi vitamins, creatine mono and whey protein (isolate pref)...? I currently use myprotein (UK brah, here) and I love them..

So, thanks for the help you're going to give me...

CLIFFS:
- Need gym recommendations (to deadlift and squat)
- Where can I buy supps?

Also, if anyone is looking for a training partner, hit me up!

Cheers
Wheybrotein
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Hsinchu: Gyms and supps!?

Postby GiantDave » 06 Jun 2012, 22:25

All of the information I am going to give you may be useless but here goes.

I have lived in Hsinchu county for a few months. I go to a gym that costs me 13000 nt for the year off peak hours around £288.

The problem you will have is that most gyms don't cater for people that big. I was used to lifting (heavier) weights in the UK as well nothing like 50kg though but here the max at my gym in 25kg. I can't speak for other gyms this one is in Zhubei price for on peak hours is 18000 nt.

I have lost weight since coming to Taiwan even while lifting. The main problem I have is eating enough food I just can't seem to do it! I have just changed my diet though hopefully things will change!

Hope some of the information helps. I don't buy powder or stuff like that but I did look into it. maybe 3000nt for a big tub. Thats not too helpful I know but thats all I know!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your stay here!
GiantDave
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

5 Recognized(s)

Postby Wheybrotein » 07 Jun 2012, 21:00

Thanks Dave, I can get by just using bars and plates (if my shoulders allow!) at your gym, were the bars olympic weight and did the gym have enough plates to go around? haha I'm not at 50kg dumbells yet,but i should be in a few months!
Wheybrotein

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Wheybrotein » 07 Jun 2012, 21:02

Oh,and if you want to put weight on, get that chicken in you and drink a couple pints of milk extra a day!
Wheybrotein

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby GiantDave » 07 Jun 2012, 23:30

Well most of the Taiwanese people don't use the weights the treadmills and stuff are always full.

No the bars aren't olympic weight and the max weight you can have is like 140kg with all the weights loaded. I can't lift that much though with bench and back exercises and I have a knee injury so I don't lift big weights for squats and stuff (2 knee surgerys!)

I have just started to eat more steak and drink more milk! I will check my progress in 3 months.

Thanks for the tips!
GiantDave

5 Recognized(s)

Postby Wheybrotein » 08 Jun 2012, 08:05

140kg is max? Oh dear, I'm going to have to do a bit of hunting around! I can imagine having knee surgery is rubbish! I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't squat/ deadlift!

Cheers for the info again and good luck with gaining mass!
Wheybrotein

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby the bear » 08 Jun 2012, 09:00

Wheybrotein wrote:140kg is max? Oh dear, I'm going to have to do a bit of hunting around! I can imagine having knee surgery is rubbish! I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't squat/ deadlift!

Cheers for the info again and good luck with gaining mass!

Hsinchu's brand new Hypercity has a World Gym in it. It's likely the biggest gym in Hsinchu but no guarantee it has Olympic standard weights facilities. Still worth checking out.

http://www.worldgymtaiwan.com/english/02_map/01_map.php
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

26 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

Postby aznseanyboy » 24 May 2013, 11:45

Hey man I live in Taiwan and I always go to the gym at National Chiao-Tung University. It's a pretty adequate gym compared to American standards and costs about 80 NT to use each time. Hit me up if you need a workout partner.
aznseanyboy

x

Return to Health and Fitness