Rude old men in the Gym

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Rude old men in the Gym

Postby upandover » 31 May 2012, 16:26

Has anyone ever had any encounters with rude a**hole old men in the weight training rooms?

today I was doing negative pull ups on the bench press bar, As the actual chin up bar is much too high ('m not exactly a tall girl)
and it's much easier to do negatives on a lower bar.
while using the equipment some old guy comes over to the press and starts loading the bar with weights, and trying to push the bench back under the bar WHILE I'm STILL ON THE MACHINE

so other random old guy that spoke english comes over and tells me the other guy wants to use the bench press (no kidding) I (still kindly at this point) tell him I am in the middle of doing a set and he can wait for me to finish my set, I will be less then 5 min.
then he goes on and tries to say will that's not what the machine is for, I (a little less kindly) tell him it is a piece of workout equipment, and I am working out on it, so what is the problem.

he says go use the chin up bar,
well that would be an option if I could reach the damn thing, and I can't use a bench to stand on because 15 min early when I had been doing step up lunges onto the bench the same guy had come over and told me I cant do those using the bench because I shouldn't be putting my feet on it. :noway:

anyways it ended with a 20 min argument, which he finally backed off and let me finish my sets (which were now broken up and with a long rest in the middle) :fume:

The workout I'm doing is here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55yW3aVn ... youtu.be&a

you can see the parts where the bench press bar is required.

is this a common thing in asia?
was it because I'm a women? is that kind of sexism present in workout clubs here?
or where these guys just being jerks, for the sake of being jerks. :wall:
I'm telling you this because you don't get it, and you think you get it, which isn't the same as actually getting it. Get it? - Masashi Kishimoto

Hello pot. My name is kettle. You're black. - Little Kuriboh

Guard your heart above all else,
for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23
Forumosan avatar
upandover
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recognized(s)

Re: Rude old men in the Gym

Postby finley » 31 May 2012, 16:46

Sounds like just a classic combination of Taiwanese logic and a couple of old (wo)men filling their pointless lives with childish behaviour. The closest I've got to harrassment was a guy who took a break from jabbering to his mates halfway across the room while I was doing tricep curls. Apparently, he was "using that machine", except that he hadn't been. I just told him politely to wait until I was done and he went away.

Do you mean a smith machine? I can't imagine how anyone does chinups on a bench press machine, unless you're Mini-Me. I'd guess the best option would be to stand on a bench under the chinning bar and take NO BLOODY NOTICE of idiots who think they own the gym. Just pretend you're deaf. Call the gym staff over if they start doing dangerous crap like loading plates over your head, or (perhaps more effective) shout and scream like a fishwife having a bad hair day. I've noticed this is The Taiwanese Way. Or you could simply tell the staff that you're too short ( :) ) to reach the bar, and what would they suggest? This will then result in a 40-minute discussion between the entire staff, the cleaner, and six passersby, but at least when they give you an answer you've got some legitimacy.

Having said that, I must admit to telling some gormless teenager to get lost. He thought the correct way to do leg curls is to sit on the machine, crank out two perfunctory reps with one plate loaded, and then sit there for a good five minutes fiddling with his iPhone. This is during the 7pm peaktime rush. So while I can understand a certain amount of frustration if a machine is occupied, you are actually using it.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

757 Recommends(s)
590 Recognized(s)

Postby Amasashi » 31 May 2012, 16:50

You'll meet guys like this in every gym, young or old, Taiwanese or otherwise.

I think the main problem is that you're using a machine in a way that it's not intended for. In a place where machines are limited and people need to wait their turn, it's annoying to be waiting on someone who's not using the machine "correctly".

I understand where you're coming from though, I'm just explaining how other people might see it.

However, I hate it when assholes just move in on you and try to push you out. You see that everywhere. At the MRT, at the bank, at 7-Eleven. You're standing in line to pay for some green tea and some middle-aged guy still in a helmet with his mouth smeared in betel nut juice just cuts in front of you and demands a pack of Longlifes.

Maybe sexism has a bit to do with it, but I think it's mainly just the culture. Just call them out and firmly tell them that you were here first. Those bullies are notorious for being big wimps.
Forumosan avatar
Amasashi
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Kea » 31 May 2012, 16:55

I see the problem: You should be only doing the workout MWF, but today's Thursday-cardio day.... :lol:

Actually, your real problem is that you are in the wrong gym: get thee to Formosa Fitness! :D

Don't worry about them, just ignore what they say and keep doing your workout, or if that doesn't work and they speak English, be nice, stop and spend 5 minutes explaining your workout, explaining that you will not interfere with them, and asking if they will let you have a chance to workout in peace as well. See them for what they are, boring bullies.

At least you don't have to contend with getting flashed by gays in the change rooms like happens in California Gym for men.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Forumosan avatar
Kea
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

15 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 31 May 2012, 16:57

At least you don't have to contend with getting flashed by gays in the change rooms like happens in California Gym for men.

I'm glad to know that's not just me. Getting flashed at and molested, I mean, not doing the flashing.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley

757 Recommends(s)
590 Recognized(s)

Postby Kea » 31 May 2012, 17:01

finley wrote:

I'm glad to know that's not just me. Getting flashed at and molested, I mean, not doing the flashing.

Yep, one opening the shower curtain and looking like they wanted an invite in was the worst I had. General mincing, looks, and the jacuzzi. Thankfully I saw the light and changed to hiking.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Forumosan avatar
Kea

15 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby Formosa Fitness » 31 May 2012, 17:05

I got tired of stupid stuff like this so I started my own gym. :D

Gyms here seem to have a lot of this stuff and it can really turn you off of working out there. Most of the people at them are very unaccomodating with anything outside the normal use of the equipment and since they are packed wall to wall with single use equipment.....
We are a foreign owned and operated full service gym in Taipei specializing in serious fitness. Check us out: http://formosafitness.com/
Forumosan avatar
Formosa Fitness
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

80 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 31 May 2012, 17:36

Kea wrote:Yep, one opening the shower curtain and looking like they wanted an invite in was the worst I had. General mincing, looks, and the jacuzzi. Thankfully I saw the light and changed to hiking.

I can top that: Jabba the Hutt (or possibly his cousin) sitting opposite me in an otherwise empty steamroom suddenly starts flogging the bishop like a monkey in the zoo. This sort of thing doesn't bother me overmuch - I just think :roll: "srsly?" and walk away. Still, in general, I don't think we should have to put up with bad behaviour at the gym. It's a public space and it gets pretty crowded, which means proper etiquette is important. Unfortunately, I get the feeling gym etiquette (much like road etiquette) is not taught here. Hence the friction. If someone is doing something reckless, dangerous, or unsociable, I don't see anything wrong with calling them on it, loudly if necessary. If someone grumbles, one should consider first, "am I inconveniencing anyone?", and if you are, do as you're told. If the grumbler is just being a dick, I'd say the best solution is to just ignore them, if possible. Pretending not to speak Chinese is pretty foolproof (and even more so if you don't).

Actually, your real problem is that you are in the wrong gym: get thee to Formosa Fitness!

unfortunately Formosa Fitness is too far away from Danshui for me to consider that option ...
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley

757 Recommends(s)
590 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 31 May 2012, 17:40

Things in TWese gyms that would get you laughed at or get your ass kicked back home:

-one guy on one machine for over an hour doing sets every 10 minutes or so and not letting others work in.

-fancy boys flexing in the mirrors after every set.

-not putting your weights back when you complete an exercise.

-staring at dudes while they are in the middle of a set and not looking away when they cast a nasty glance back.

-walking within your personal space while you have dumbells in the air (mid-set).

-blaring Mando-pop love songs.

The gym is new to people here so it is tough to assume that they will understand gym etiquette in a timely manner (especially if you frequent the 50NT joints like I do), and when you add in the rude, extremely selfish and privileged nature of many Taipei residents it is a recipe for disaster. When I go to the gym, it is headset cranked and I am working in wherever I can as quickly as I can, my main goal is to get a burn and a sweat, I know I will never get a top workout at any gym unless I fork over bigger bucks to go to a proper gym, but I don't lift enough for that to be worthwhile.

It all comes back to what it always does in Taiwan, which is people never got their ass kicked enough by their peers growing up and now they don't know how to act in a decent or courteous manner because they never learned the hard way. Also, face is just an excuse for being a punk ass bitch.

This post was recommended by Northcoast Surfer (31 May 2012, 18:18)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

81 Recommends(s)
408 Recognized(s)

Postby circleback » 31 May 2012, 18:24

I think i remember a thread where someone observed a guy in the bathroom standing in front of a mirror plucking his arse-hairs out.

Just run up a mountain and do push-ups or something.
Forumosan avatar
circleback
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recognized(s)

Next

Return to Health and Fitness