Smacked in the Almonds

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Smacked in the Almonds

Postby MilesFromNeihu » 03 Jun 2012, 02:58

I am disappointed to learn that the almonds that I have been buying from Costco, which used to be raw, and which still LOOK raw, are not. They are pasteurized.

I discovered this appalling fact yesterday in the course of some casual internet browsing. It seems that in 2007, the Almond Board of California (ABC), the FDA, and the USDA, together I'll call them BigAg, put their heads together and decreed that all almonds produced by the ABC would have to be pasteurized before being sold. As it happens, 100% of the commercial almonds produced in the US come from California. In fact 80% of the almonds in the WORLD come from California. So it's not so easy to get raw, unprocessed almonds any more.

The reason I find this distressing is that cancer has been very popular with my family and friends. Without even trying I can think of nine that cancer has taken, and it's not a pleasant way to go. Edgar Cayce said that eating almonds prevents cancer. Experts say that it's the B17, also known as laetrile, in the almond, that zaps cancer cells. But pasteurization zaps the B17. Anyway, I have been eating raw almonds for a few decades now. At least I thought they were raw.

People have been eating raw almonds for 10,000 years (conservative estimate), and it wasn't a problem. It wasn't a problem until 2007 that is, when more and more people were waking up the to the fact that they could eat raw almonds and prevent cancer. Obviously something had to be done. So BigAg bravely put its foot down and protected us.

What is BigAg protecting us from, exactly? At first glance it looks like they are protecting us from being too healthy, which everyone knows can be bad for business. Of course they cannot say that directly. What they said was that there were two different incidents, one in 2001, and another in 2004, in which a total of about 130 people got sick from salmonella-infected almonds. So BigAg decided that almonds should be pasteurized.

Incidentally, do you know how many people are killed (not merely sickened) by cigarettes every year in the US? Over 300,000, plus another 5,000 burned to death in smoking-related fires. Not a problem, says the FDA. How many died from tainted almonds in 2001 and 2004? Zero. But I digress.

There are several ways to pasteurize an almond: dry roasting, deep frying, steam processing, and gassing with propylene oxide (PPO), which also happens to be used in the manufacture of insecticide. BigAg likes that one best. Granted that use of PPO for food products is banned in the EU, banned in Canada, banned in Mexico, banned in a number of other countries; granted that our own EPA recognizes PPO as a probable carcinogen, still BigAg likes PPO the best. It is undetectable by the consumer. The almond looks the same, and has the same texture, after treatment as before. Besides, PPO is nice and cheap.

So in 2007 the long arm of BigAg secretly reached out and smacked me. Right in the almonds. It only took me five years to find out.
Forumosan avatar
MilesFromNeihu
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Smacked in the Almonds

Postby Chris » 03 Jun 2012, 07:55

MilesFromNeihu wrote:Edgar Cayce said that eating almonds prevents cancer.

Edgar Cayce isn't a credible source on any topic.

This post was recommended by cranky laowai (03 Jun 2012, 11:24)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

91 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 03 Jun 2012, 09:14

Chris wrote:
MilesFromNeihu wrote:Edgar Cayce said that eating almonds prevents cancer.

Edgar Cayce isn't a credible source on any topic.

Your opinion.

OP clearly disagrees.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby MilesFromNeihu » 03 Jun 2012, 11:07

Confuzius wrote: Your opinion. OP clearly disagrees.

Yep. Confuzius right on.
Forumosan avatar
MilesFromNeihu

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby kelake » 03 Jun 2012, 13:09

Little bit more here: http://reallyrawfood.com/forum/index.php?topic=583.0

We eat a tremendous amount of almonds in our home. It’s my fast food.
kelake
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

21 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 04 Jun 2012, 13:35

This thread is plain nuts.

We go through a lot of raw cashews and almonds here too, I'd no idea about this debate.
It seems totally wrong that a nut can still be labelled as raw when it's been cooked (pasteurised) at high temps.

Looking in the fridge, we have "100% organic walnuts, origin USA, no preservatives, no sulphur dioxide: Qing He Organic Ltd"
Are they pasteurised? Doesn't say so in English, and can't see anything extra in Chinese.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

74 Recommends(s)
103 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 04 Jun 2012, 13:54

There are lots of things with B17 in them which you can use as a substitution, though I understand your frustration is more about being duped and the fact that you could have made the switch years ago. Here is a list which will help you... http://www.vitaminb17.org/foods.htm
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

102 Recommends(s)
346 Recognized(s)

Postby MilesFromNeihu » 05 Jun 2012, 16:01

Nuit wrote:This thread is plain nuts.

Right. Plain nuts is what it's all about. :)
Forumosan avatar
MilesFromNeihu

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby MilesFromNeihu » 05 Jun 2012, 16:05

superking wrote: Here is a list which will help you... http://www.vitaminb17.org/foods.htm
Thanks for the tip. I was aware of apple seeds and apricot, but not many of the others.

There used to be concessions for bitter almond powder in the basement of Carrefour in NanGang, and in RTMart#2 in Neihu, just beyond the checkout lines, but I don't remember seeing such concession vendors recently. But bitter almonds (or apricot seeds) must still be available somewhere around here? I hope.
Forumosan avatar
MilesFromNeihu

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby trubadour » 05 Jun 2012, 18:03

rant appreciated, thanks OP

how about bitter melon?

dodgy website says computer says, "yes" http://www.toprank365.com/Diabetes/737.html
trubadour

114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Health and Fitness