Recommend a Treadmill

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Recommend a Treadmill

Postby teggs » 12 Jun 2012, 22:10

We're thinking of getting a treadmill with a budget of around 20~30k. It should be able to fold up, incline automatically and go at least 16km/h (10m/h) although 18~20km/h would be better. Other important considerations are reliability and length of guarantee.

Any recommendations? Anyone have something similar that they want to get rid of?

Thanks!
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)
teggs
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Re: Recommend a Treadmill

Postby finley » 12 Jun 2012, 22:25

I really wouldn't bother. You need to spend at least 70K to get something that won't fall to bits the first time you use it. It's easy enough to make a machine that pulls a belt around a motor pulley. It's less easy to make one that will survive hours of foot-pounding.

Johnson's Matrix range is good, but not cheap.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

781 Recommends(s)
601 Recognized(s)

Postby BlackAdder » 12 Jun 2012, 23:16

I'd second that.

Commercial models: Sturdy frame / powerful motor / even running platform / wide tread / quiet / good suspension / built to last / good speed control / etc. But these cost 3 or 4 times your budget.

Home models: I’ve only experienced and heard negative things about them. I’d be interested to hear if anyone really can recommend a good one?

Good luck. Let us know what you get and how it performs.
"For scientific leadership, give me Scott; for swift and efficient travel, Amundsen; but when you are in a hopeless situation, when there seems to be no way out, get on your knees and pray for Shackleton.”
BlackAdder
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 12 Jun 2012, 23:18

Sorry I third that. Only the commercial ones are up for the job and the cost is high.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby teggs » 13 Jun 2012, 08:00

Ok, I didn't want to get into specifics about what we are considering, but seeing as no one's making real suggestions, I will.

A friend who runs an hour a day is on her second 'mill. The first was a cheapo (less than 10k) version and broke within a month. After that, she got a BH which she loves. We're looking at the T1 and F1 models. They are both around 28k and fit my above specs.

Does anyone have any meaningful experience with these machines or similar ones?

Thanks again!
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)
teggs

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 13 Jun 2012, 10:48

Mine is a cheapo I bought for 9K two years ago. Still OK. Non descript brand, called in for service once -needed some oil. Will probably need new "band" soon. It is foldable, taked very little space, but weights a ton. It is also the most basic model, no bells and whisltles It is getting less use now that I've got the elliptical. It is very noisy, too.

Where I got my elliptical, Takashima store in Danshui, they also had pretty nice treadmills. If I didn't have mine, I'd take theirs. Here some:

http://buy.yahoo.com.tw/gdsale/gdsale.asp?gdid=1716352

http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item ... M&ROWNO=19

http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=stor ... _NO=CBAF36

IMHO, the elliptical is a better choice, more effort, more exercise, upper and lower body have to move. And it is within your budget. :)
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

631 Recommends(s)
502 Recognized(s)

Postby teggs » 13 Jun 2012, 12:29

Icon wrote:Mine is a cheapo I bought for 9K two years ago. Still OK. Non descript brand, called in for service once -needed some oil. Will probably need new "band" soon. It is foldable, taked very little space, but weights a ton. It is also the most basic model, no bells and whisltles It is getting less use now that I've got the elliptical. It is very noisy, too.

Where I got my elliptical, Takashima store in Danshui, they also had pretty nice treadmills. If I didn't have mine, I'd take theirs. Here some:

http://buy.yahoo.com.tw/gdsale/gdsale.asp?gdid=1716352

http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item ... M&ROWNO=19

http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=stor ... _NO=CBAF36

IMHO, the elliptical is a better choice, more effort, more exercise, upper and lower body have to move. And it is within your budget. :)

Thanks for the reply! Definitely looks like there are some decent options there.. Does anyone have any experience with the Takasima brand?
Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)
teggs

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 13 Jun 2012, 13:28

If you can, go try the machine at the Takashima Danshui store. The store is like 5 minutes away from the Danshui MRT station, on Zhongzheng Road, across from the big boat. They have several treadmill models. The guy usually invites you to use the massage chair afterwards... Ahhhh.... Now that is something I'd buy with some extra cash...

My coworker has had their treadmill for about 4, maybe 5 years now. No problem with service.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

631 Recommends(s)
502 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 13 Jun 2012, 14:23

Teaching.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

9 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)

Postby teggs » 14 Jun 2012, 07:52

We ended up getting the BH aero. It's in English and Chinese, has a 2-guarantee on the whole thing and 5 on the motor. Top speed of 18km/h and all the other usual functions.. cost 28k.
Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)
teggs

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Health and Fitness