"kongtiao bing" ie. AC Flu

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Postby Baas Babelaas » 13 Jul 2012, 03:02

So, I'm suffering from it - my mucous vessels in my nose, throat and chest have been sucked dry by the AC. Results in post nasal drip, throat and chest problems. My GP actually diagnosed me with acute bronchitis.

I have some minor respiratory issues, especially living at sea level, but every year I get 'AC Flu" - there's no way around it, the outside temp is 38c, 80% humidity. To come into a cool apartment soothes me, but messes up my respiratory system.

Bar turning my AC off (it has no AC+humidifier function) I would have to open the front and back door the get the "kong qi" (breeze) blowing through.

What's your suggestions?

(I know this is similar to the Summer Cold thread, but I would like specific replies.

PS. Maybe I should just man up and sweat hard summer long..
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Re: "kongtiao bing" ie. AC Flu

Postby boho » 13 Jul 2012, 03:52

Is there no way you could survive with just a fan? I tend to be fine with a fan pointed right at me and a cold tea and shirtless. Plus it saves money :).

It's pretty bad for you to go back and forth between dry, cold and wet, hot air often. And I'm not really sure if "humidifying" colder air is possible. Colder air holds exponentially less water than warmer air.

So my only advice is to just enjoy the heat. Ignore the Taiwanese advice of cold drinks and keep your core temperature low by drinking as many cold drinks as possible. That with a fan and I survive, but maybe I'm weird.
boho
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 13 Jul 2012, 04:47

You may have allergies also. Try taking anti histamine which possibly could help with the symptoms.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1571 Recommends(s)
573 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 13 Jul 2012, 06:03

You may have allergies also. Try taking anti histamine which possibly could help with the symptoms.

Plenty of them. I have anti histamines, but try to avoid daily use as I don't want the 'rebound' effect.

I could try keeping front and back door open and letting the breeze run through the house..
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby kau826 » 14 Jul 2012, 11:37

Baas Babelaas wrote:

Plenty of them. I have anti histamines, but try to avoid daily use as I don't want the 'rebound' effect.

I could try keeping front and back door open and letting the breeze run through the house..

As far as I know, anti-histamine would not cause rebound effect you mentioned, but pseudoephedrine does. Some pill contains both anti-histamine and pseudoephedrine and is not supposed to take long-term. Is this why you consider daily use of anti-histamine should be avoided? Basically anti-histamine alone could be taken safely and continually for a long time without prominent side effects. So you may keep on taking it in the hot weather and stop it when you need AC no more. Hope this helps.
kau826
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby StevenCrook » 14 Jul 2012, 21:31

I'm recovering from a bout right now. We were up in Taipei last week, hopping from A/C comfort to blazing heat several times a day... returned to Tainan with a dry cough and now a phlegmy throat. No special cure, AFAIK.
My books, available from Amazon.com or directly from me:
TAIWAN: THE BRADT TRAVEL GUIDE (2nd ed coming soon!)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (1st ed)

Available via Amazon.com:
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (2nd ed, Kindle only)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN (Kindle edition)
TAIWAN FOR CULTURE VULTURES
StevenCrook
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 26 Jul 2012, 02:01

Seriously, in the Taiwan summer heat without AC I need a strong fan blown at me continuously in order for things to be just bearable. The strong fan causes migraines after about 30 minutes and the fan ceases to provide any cooling once all the water on my skin has evaporated. I can keep cool by keeping myself wet at all times but it ends up introducing other problems (like fungus) and I end up having to take like 3 showers a day just to keep the oil level down (the oil makes the heat much worse).

So yes, I much rather pay for the air conditioning. I suffer much less discomfort and health issues with air conditioning than without. Plus I absolutely cannot sleep without air conditioning. It is actually worse at night because the humidity is very close to 100%.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

1 Recommends(s)
86 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Health and Fitness