Electolytes in the heat, what are safe brands?

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Re: Electolytes in the heat, what are safe brands?

Postby milkalex » 17 Jul 2012, 13:07

That guy is drinking like 8 liters liquid per day? You're supposed to drink max 2liters and get the rest from your diet. 3l orange juice? Do you know how many kcal and sugar a 100% orange juice has? No wonder that guy is sick..and he can't stand the heat but is running around in Taiwan? :loco:
milkalex
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

7 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Franck de Taiwan » 17 Jul 2012, 15:01

OP, I use dietary salt as electrolytes replacement, super cheap. The kind I use is 47% chloride potassium, 48% chloride sodium and the rest is magnesium and calcium. Times to times I add a little bit of it in my drinking water, it seems to help.

Available in all supermarket. I think even in 7/11 you can find it.

http://www.tybio.com.tw/webc/html/produ ... k_kind=137

This post was recommended by finley (17 Jul 2012, 15:23)
Rating: 5.88%
Franck de Taiwan
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

6 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 23 Jul 2012, 05:52

Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions.

You need to be a bit careful about encouraging Taiwanese doctors throw technology at the problem. Sometimes, there's no substitute for listening and thinking for a couple of minutes. If you can find a doctor who knows how to do that, you'll probably get a result.

this has been my biggest problem. the docs touch me a bit, send me for a test of some kind (I have had weird objects put up every hole but my penis). they play on their computer etc, its really irritating actually. when I went to taipei i told him I need a doctor to really help, most send me for tests and im still sick. that day i felt like dying and fell over a few times in the hospital, so my voice was low, barely talking and he seemed to take it personal. im not going back tuesday.

my wife did find a GREAT doctor here in pingdong. they have ears and a heart, and I am feeling slightly better after a few days going to them. the problem, according to what they think is some kind of mucous problem in my stomach. an intenstinal something (I forgot the terms he used), a bacteria causing the sickness and sugar is all whacked (liek you all said). still not great, but getting better I hope. if anyone is in pingdong area and needs a general doctor, pm me fo raddress.

btw, have you considered taking a holiday somewhere more temperate? If you immediately feel better, you'll know it's just the heat.

my idea of a temperate holiday is Borneo in winter. i generally hate cold places because they have cold loving plants....I am a plant man and love tropical plants and thus thats where we end up. Im not going to disagree, its a bad idea. Generally on most of our trips I am very sick as well, but i push through it because there is too much to see and they have good medicine in many of the places i go which helps.

Rule out the common -diabetes seems more plausible, given the thirst and the dizziness, any numbing of the limbs?- or an undiagnosed heart condition -but the doctors would have seen that right? If you do not feel right, something is not right.
dizziness is getting better. numbness is still there. legs, forearms/hands and face. waiting on results for blood sugar etc. need them to tell us on the phone cause im not making another trip up to taipei again. if they wont, will go for new tests here.

as an FYI, i cant eat much. the massive amounts of fruit were eaten (aside from their good taste) because i could eat them without feeling sick. but hte new doc has got my diet all switched around. cooked veggies (specifically not raw foods because she said Taiwan has too much bacteria in the hot humid weather), rice and water. she actually said only drink water, nothing else. also dont eat out anymore (oil), which is what I always do cause we despise cooking.

lifestyle changes are happening finally i guess, hope it all pans out. FYI im only 26, male. I have also lost near 18kg since march due to this.

thanks again guys, appreciated.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

ORIGINAL POSTER
20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Health and Fitness