RO Water and Sports Hydration

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Re: RO Water and Sports Hydration

Postby Jive Turkey » 08 Aug 2012, 14:43

archylgp wrote:I've had some dehydration problems this summer playing basketball even though I was drinking lots of (cheap) bottled water. I think this might be the reason why. I figured out that if I drink some melon tea (dong1gua1cha2) I'll be good to go for a few hours (with water), which is counter-intuitive considering how sweet that drink is...

The drink is probably benefiting you in the sense that it has a bit of sodium or other minerals that provide osmotic benefits when in your gut. It is quite possible to drink a lot of water yet still be dehydrated, especially in endurance sports. As the blood thickens and is routed away from the gut to muscles and surface tissues during exercise in the heat, the ability of the gut's membranes to absorb plain water declines. Getting a bit of salt in you seems to quickly restore the gut's ability to absorb water. A lot of people of course like to drink things like gatorade with the notion that it prevents cramp (highly debatable), but a possible reason they have developed the habit of drinking it is that it helps keep them hydrated and comfortable.

I am not sure what to think about RO water and exercise. I've had it a couple of times when running and noticed no difference except the taste. I haven't drunk a sports drink in an ultramarathon for about a year. I just drink tap water and then have a salty snack when I feel I need it. I never cramp and getting ahead on electrolyte drinks seems to do me a bit of harm. I'm now able to do 2 to 3 hour runs at 35c+ on water and gels only-no salty snack needed. My sweat does not burn my eyes like it used to. If one trains in the heat a lot, the body seems able to adapt. Maybe the body would be able to adapt to RO, too.
Jive Turkey
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

18 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Health and Fitness