Half of Taiwanese are over weight - really?

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Re: Half of Taiwanese are over weight - really?

Postby Mother Theresa » 20 Aug 2012, 20:30

louisfriend wrote:BMI can be a poor indicator for how fat a person is. When I started school here my health check said I was moderately obese. After that i gained a couple of kilos and found out I had 11% body fat. Not exactly impressive, but far from obese.

I agree. I had similar experiences. BMI does not equal body fat. Not at all.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 20 Aug 2012, 23:18

But let's be honest and admit there aren't too many Taiwanese that look like the left!

Actually you do ... but only at the gym. There are probably more guys at my gym who look muscular and/or cut than I ever saw back in the UK. OTOH there are many, many more flabby individuals who think a workout means sitting on a machine and playing with their iPhone for 15 minutes :fume: Or possibly a little nap on one of the ab benches. :roll:
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

858 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 21 Aug 2012, 10:01

finley wrote:
But let's be honest and admit there aren't too many Taiwanese that look like the left!

Actually you do ... but only at the gym. There are probably more guys at my gym who look muscular and/or cut than I ever saw back in the UK. OTOH there are many, many more flabby individuals who think a workout means sitting on a machine and playing with their iPhone for 15 minutes :fume: Or possibly a little nap on one of the ab benches. :roll:

Actually, I am blessed as every morning I have to walk through the ranks of army and navy guys they send here to get/pick up gong wen, the bodygurads in their short sleeve guayaberas, plus our handsome cops doing the patrol of the premises. Boy, oh, boy. They are not that He-man/Hulk beasties as you see in US ROTC, but have these well built chest and square shoulders, flat bellies, well shaved and carefully cut hair and an overall pleasant friendly manner... *sigh* A smile every morning.

Then in the afternoon they start running around the compound... :discodance:
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

732 Recommends(s)
573 Recognized(s)

Postby Formosa Fitness » 21 Aug 2012, 16:37

Something that was mentioned but needs to be highlighted again is the fact that the usual Taiwanese diet is mostly carbs. Protein is scarce in most local diets and the importance of eating protein is largely unknown. What's considered a high protein diet here is usually not even adequate, let alone high.
We are a foreign owned and operated full service gym in Taipei specializing in serious fitness. Check us out: http://formosafitness.com/
Forumosan avatar
Formosa Fitness
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

99 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

Postby Blaquesmith » 21 Aug 2012, 16:49

Formosa Fitness wrote:Something that was mentioned but needs to be highlighted again is the fact that the usual Taiwanese diet is mostly carbs. Protein is scarce in most local diets and the importance of eating protein is largely unknown. What's considered a high protein diet here is usually not even adequate, let alone high.

So, any suggestions about how to remedy that? :)
"Roda el món i torna al Born!" - famous saying from Barcelona.
Forumosan avatar
Blaquesmith
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

20 Recommends(s)
114 Recognized(s)

Postby GC Rider » 21 Aug 2012, 18:05

Blaquesmith wrote:
Formosa Fitness wrote:Something that was mentioned but needs to be highlighted again is the fact that the usual Taiwanese diet is mostly carbs. Protein is scarce in most local diets and the importance of eating protein is largely unknown. What's considered a high protein diet here is usually not even adequate, let alone high.

Probably adopt the American diet. It's the most protein-rich, so it must be the best. :D
GC Rider
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

23 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 21 Aug 2012, 18:10

Lot's of protein is good when your on a muscle building path ... people sitting on desk should adopt a lots of veggies diet, protein-carb balanced ... low fat, not no fat!
Around Sanxia you see plenty of pot/rice belly types ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
81 Recognized(s)

Postby Blaquesmith » 21 Aug 2012, 18:25

GC Rider wrote:
Blaquesmith wrote:

Probably adopt the American diet. It's the most protein-rich, so it must be the best. :D

I'm trying to get rid of my "lard", not the opposite! Besides, I don't like Bacon, so the American diet is not for me :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xqmjZhqwt4
Forumosan avatar
Blaquesmith

20 Recommends(s)
114 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 21 Aug 2012, 18:35

Blaquesmith wrote:
GC Rider wrote:
Blaquesmith wrote:

I'm trying to get rid of my "lard", not the opposite! Besides, I don't like Bacon, so the American diet is not for me :p

Restrict your caloric intake ... 1,800 Kcal/day would be ok if you have low exercise regimen, no exercise would be 1,500 kcal/day ... low fat, protein-carbs balanced (or maybe slightly more protein) ... lots of veggies
Preferable, chicken/fish, lean beef or even lean pork. Omelets, (soy)milk(low fat), nuts
But, nothing beats exercise!
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
81 Recognized(s)

Postby Blaquesmith » 21 Aug 2012, 18:45

Belgian Pie wrote:
Blaquesmith wrote:
GC Rider wrote:
Blaquesmith wrote:

Restrict your caloric intake ... 1,800 Kcal/day would be ok if you have low exercise regimen, no exercise would be 1,500 kcal/day ... low fat, protein-carbs balanced (or maybe slightly more protein) ... lots of veggies
Preferable, chicken/fish, lean beef or even lean pork. Omelets, (soy)milk(low fat), nuts
But, nothing beats exercise!

uhm... My doctor in Barcelona told me that I should be on the 1000-1200 Kcal/day range... plus moderate exercise :noway:

Besides, I tend to avoid pork... it's bad for my triglyceride count. I usually eat chicken, beef or fish if I can find it. I think the usual diet here in Taiwan depends too much on rice/noodles/various sauces. As it has been said before, too much carbs.
Forumosan avatar
Blaquesmith

20 Recommends(s)
114 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Health and Fitness