Medicine: Chinese, herbalist, acupuncturist

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Postby Anonymous » 12 May 2003, 23:09

This is just the kind of tale that got me to write the first message in this thread.

Judge Bao wrote:I have seen it with many, many people.

Many people in Taiwan, my wife included, believe in medical theories that are obviously fantastical if taken literally. No physical basis is offered (it's always the ineffable qi) and no objective evidence is available.

I'm genuinely curious. The honourable JB and many other intelligent people are convinced. Why don't they do double blind trials?
Anonymous

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby jeff » 13 May 2003, 00:43

salmon wrote:I'm genuinely curious. The honourable JB and many other intelligent people are convinced. Why don't they do double blind trials?

Trials of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) are out there (no pun intended), but they're usually not very large or well controlled.

Offhand I can think of a few good reasons why there aren't more such studies, money being the biggest. Controlled trials are very expensive and someone has to fund them. For Western medicine, funding usually comes from pharmaceutical companies or manufacturers of diagnostic devices. As far as I'm aware, most products used in TCM are not patented (I could be wrong) and are produced by numerous companies, so there's far less money to be made by funding research. If your expensive clinical trial proves that bark of dungberry root cures the common cold, there's nothing to stop dozens of other companies from producing it and even using your research for advertising. True, governments provide funding for research, but not nearly as much as the private sector.

Organization also contributes. In the US, for example, most trials are conducted through large hospitals or health care networks, simplifying logistics. In Taiwan, at least, TC seems to be much more decentralized.
Forumosan avatar
jeff
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

Postby daltongang » 13 May 2003, 01:01

My aunt has had an interesting experience with a Chinese doctor recently, believe it or not at Stonybrook University Hospital in Long Island, NY. She has been having back pain and went for and MRI. To make a long story short the loud noise the MRI machine makes left her with a ringing in her ears she described as "torture." After seeing a variety of doctors she tried this Chinese doctor who has been giving her acupuncture and herbal medicine. After a few weeks, the ringing is only a little better, but she claims she feels better and more energetic than she has in years. While the ringing is still bothering her she says the whole experience has almost been worth it. The doctors diagnosis was that her whole body is in terrible shape due to a kidney problem. This is what the doctor is attempting to treat. This seems to be a big part of the philosophy of CM, many kinds of problems can arise from problems in seemingly unrelated vital organs.

I tried CM seriously only once. For years I had horrible skin rashes. It was something that showed up here and there when I was in the States but it really got bad after i came to Taiwan. Tried many doctors and finally tried the CM in desperation. Drank the vile stuff for a week, to find the rashes were getting worse!!! Trekked back to the place to return the medicine. Quite a while afterwards discovered by accident that I am allergic to Chinese tea, so perhaps herbal medicine was not the best thing for me! I don't hold this against the Chinese doctor as the Western doctors were equally unable to help me. Had to figure it out myself. Switched to coffee, and have been untroubled since.
daltongang
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 25 Jun 2004, 15:05

We had some people to work the other day giving people a check up, you hold one probe in you hand while they poke specific parts of your hands and feet with another probe, testing conductivity I guess. And they printed out a graph, and the low point on mine was saying my spleen wasn't good.

A few months ago a ultrasonic scan showed I have an enlarged spleen. :s

What does an enlarged spleen mean ? WTF is a spleen anyway ?
Er.... thingy.
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 25 Jun 2004, 16:08

WTF is a spleen anyway ?

Dunno, but it sure feels good to vent it once in a while.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 30 Jun 2004, 11:01

sandman wrote:
WTF is a spleen anyway ?

Dunno, but it sure feels good to vent it once in a while.
I do that, but it's still swollen. From what I can find from google: The spleen filters out bad blood cells, but when it gets swollen it starts to filter out good blood cells too which makes it more swollen, then it outgrows the blood supply and parts of it die off due to lack to blood. :idunno:
Lots of causes from chronic infections that end in -osis to leukemia :bravo:
Er.... thingy.
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Health and Fitness