Weights!

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Weights!

Postby The Big Babou » 19 Sep 2003, 13:20

Hi,

Has anyone seen a place where I could get some small leg weights that are suitable for running? Basically, you wrap these things around your ankles or wrists and then go for a jog; gives you a great workout. I've used them before in Oz for martial arts training, but haven't seen them here...

Cheers,

The Big Babou
Forumosan avatar
The Big Babou
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby iris » 19 Sep 2003, 15:56

I think I've seen them in sports equipment shops. I even bought some wrist weights (and used them about twice :oops: ) I bought mine in a shop in Gongguan that has closed down in the meantime. But I think they're all over the place. There is one on the Eastern side of Fuxing Sth. Road, a little down from Xinyi Rd. towards Heping. There are also several shops around Gongguan, I believe, possibly also around Shi-Da.

HTH
Iris
Iris in transition: Are we there yet?
Forumosan avatar
iris
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Postby HakkaSonic » 19 Sep 2003, 16:26

Babou, I've always wondered about such weights. I figured it might be dangerous as it would put unnatural stress on the joints, but you seem to have used them successfully. How much weight are we talking about here, how often do you use them, and have you ever had any negative side effects from them.
HakkaSonic

Postby The Big Babou » 20 Sep 2003, 09:15

Thanks for the advice, Iris! I'll be sure to check out some of those stores.
Hakkasonic, IMO there's no danger as the weights are actually very light. I'm planning to use them for short runs only. A good way to practice would be to run with a couple of small free-weights in your hands (maybe 2.5lb each). You'll get a "feeling for it" pretty quickly.

Cheers,

The Big Babou
Forumosan avatar
The Big Babou

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby skeptic yank » 21 Sep 2003, 00:41

I've seen them in "ai mai" stashed about the 1800 NT bicycles. about 200 nt for a pair. "ai mai" is GIANT (I think).
Missouri loves company
skeptic yank
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Free weights

Postby deanminns » 21 Sep 2003, 14:45

Hi, I'm a newbie to Taiwan. I'm also an old gym rat who can't seem to give up the habit. I've spent a good deal of time looking on this website and on others, and I can't seem to find a good place for exercise in the Zhongli/Nei Li area.

My problem is that I like mindless, numbing, alienating exercise with free weights (weights that are free of machine control; you have to use your own muscles to guide and control them). Does anyone know of:

1) Any gym/workout/anything-with-free-weights place in Taoyuan County, preferably near north Zhongli?

(however, if you know of any good gym/facility in Taiwan, please post its info here)

2) A good place to buy free weights in Taipei? Better yet, in Taoyuan Co.?

(I need the Olympic style, 20kg big plates down through the 5kg's, with an Olympic barbell, too-and a good bench that will double as a squat rack. I live in a new housing maze near Nei Li and I'm pretty sure that I can put these weights in an exercise area already maintained by my building. I only need a starter set, maybe 150kg or so, including the barbell. I'm only interested in building & maintaining upper- and lower-body strength for climbing, hiking, riding, etc.).

Thanks in advance from an old gravity beater!
deanminns

Wrist and ankle weights

Postby Juba » 21 Sep 2003, 18:56

You can buy wrist and ankle weights in the sports goods shop in the ground floor of NTNU/Shi-Da's "white building" (zonghe dalou).
Forumosan avatar
Juba
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

7 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Buying my own free weights

Postby deanminns » 22 Sep 2003, 10:41

Anybody know where I can buy my own free weights? I only need a starter set, 150kg or so (Olympic-style weights, including Olympic-style barbell). I am new to Taiwan, don't know much, so any outlet is better than none, but closer to Taoyuan county would be better.

Anyone know of such a shop, in Taoyuan, Taipei, or elsewhere?
deanminns

Buying my own free weights

Postby deanminns » 22 Sep 2003, 19:52

Richardm wrote:
I don't know why anyone would want to work out in a shop window.

???

I am only asking for any information anyone might care to share about a place (an outlet, as in retail outlet--sorry if this is unclear) where I can buy my own free weights in Taiwan.

Again, if anyone knows where I can buy free weights in Taiwan, please post any info you may have.

Thanks (in advance)!
deanminns

Re: Buying my own free weights

Postby Tigerman » 22 Sep 2003, 22:45

deanminns wrote:Again, if anyone knows where I can buy free weights in Taiwan, please post any info you may have.

Why would you buy free weights?
Forumosan avatar
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

222 Recommends(s)
135 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Health and Fitness