Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Weights!

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Re: WCIF free weights etc. for home gym, Zhongli-Taoyuan?

Postby Formosa Fitness » 29 Sep 2009, 16:42

PunishmentNow wrote:damn! that is pretty nuts on the price....in the US you can hit up Walmart and grab all the weights you could need and a bench for abotu 200usd. Hah thanks for the posts...ill have to check that site out a lil more and see whatelse I can find

You can look around but trust me, those are the best prices you'll get. I know because I was thinking of ordering some for my gym or possibly importing weights myself. So I keep track of local sporting goods and prices.

You won't believe what most local places charge for a set of Olympic plates and a bar: NT$60,000 is the norm. Benches usually go for around NT$30,000. Compared to that, $15,000 for a set of plates and $9000 for a decent bench is a steal.

If I were you though, I'd seriously consider this power rack:
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?11090513979724

It's only NT$8,700 and you get a pull down station. That plus a separate bench would be a better deal IMO than the bench above.

Your other option is what you've already found: the youth weight sets with the screw-on collars. Yeah, they suck and you can't put up much weight but they're a bargain compared to Olympic sets here. Good luck.
We are a foreign owned and operated full service gym in Taipei specializing in serious fitness. Check us out: http://formosafitness.com/
Forumosan avatar
Formosa Fitness
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

89 Recommends(s)
31 Recognized(s)

Re: WCIF free weights etc. for home gym, Zhongli-Taoyuan?

Postby PunishmentNow » 29 Sep 2009, 23:48

Thanks again! Yea it seems those prices are pretty solid. Ive never ordered from that site. Ill have my GF look at it tomorrow and tell me what the deal is on shipping and what not for it.

That power rack is about perfect! I think you are very right abotu getting the power rack and a bench. I was having such a hard time jsut finding weights I didnt even think abotu that. Safety on Squats and a pull down is nice. It also has a pulley ont he bottom too. Im for sure game for that!

thanks again for the link....most helpful! I jsut finished my last dose of Whey, so thats next on the to do list hah.

Formosa Fitness wrote:
PunishmentNow wrote:damn! that is pretty nuts on the price....in the US you can hit up Walmart and grab all the weights you could need and a bench for abotu 200usd. Hah thanks for the posts...ill have to check that site out a lil more and see whatelse I can find

You can look around but trust me, those are the best prices you'll get. I know because I was thinking of ordering some for my gym or possibly importing weights myself. So I keep track of local sporting goods and prices.

You won't believe what most local places charge for a set of Olympic plates and a bar: NT$60,000 is the norm. Benches usually go for around NT$30,000. Compared to that, $15,000 for a set of plates and $9000 for a decent bench is a steal.

If I were you though, I'd seriously consider this power rack:
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?11090513979724

It's only NT$8,700 and you get a pull down station. That plus a separate bench would be a better deal IMO than the bench above.

Your other option is what you've already found: the youth weight sets with the screw-on collars. Yeah, they suck and you can't put up much weight but they're a bargain compared to Olympic sets here. Good luck.
PunishmentNow
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Looking for cheap adjustable weights or dumbbells

Postby Yamahuh » 15 Mar 2010, 11:12

I'm close to Hsinchu and have resigned myself to the fact that our poxy little town has no gym and I'm too damn lazy to ride into Hsinchu everyday to get some exercise. I've got a good home based workout program but need some weights or resistance bands in order to get started.

We're only here for a few more months but I want to get started on am exercise program to help me lose some weight so if you've got unused weights kicking around or if you know where I can buy some PLEASE let me know!!

Cheers!!
Yamahuh
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Re: Looking for cheap adjustable weights or dumbbells

Postby Yamahuh » 15 Mar 2010, 11:51

Thanks for that - I tried looking around at some of the threads I thought would be related but had a hard time finding anything relelvant :notworthy:

I'll take a look at your links.
Yamahuh
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby Dragonbones » 15 Mar 2010, 12:36

No prob! Check Taiwanted regularly too, or put a wanted ad there.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
103 Recognized(s)

Postby Toasty » 15 Mar 2010, 12:58

http://buy.yahoo.com.tw/gdsale/gdsale.asp?gdid=1972265

Sometimes it's easier just to shop these things online. You only need basic Chinese reading ability (or someone to assist) and an atm card. :cool:
I'm the toast with the most.
Forumosan avatar
Toasty
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

9 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Looking for new or used free weights

Postby KEIRseven » 03 Dec 2010, 12:02

I want to buy either new or used:

1. Adjustable weight bench for both incline and regular bench press with leg/preacher curl attachment
2. 45, 35, 25, 10 and 5 (lbs) plates
3. 28.5mm (1-1/8") D x 86-1/8" L bar and dumbbell bars
4. curl bar

If anyone knows of an online shop in Taiwan that sells this type of equipment that would be great as well!

Cheers
Forumosan avatar
KEIRseven
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Re: Looking for new or used free weights

Postby Rik » 07 Dec 2010, 21:43

http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=stor ... e=1&show=0

All the weights and bars, are on this page, and if you go to page 3 there's a couple of benches. The highest plates they have are 15kg though.

Edit: This is a better link:
http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item ... _NO=CBAFBT
Rik
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby hipster dufus » 08 Dec 2010, 00:20

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=84920

here is a thread from Forumosa about buying weights and stuff. I bought a home gym 3 years ago from SunPro in Taipei. It has been awesome. When negotiating the price(you can) tell them you saw (the same :wink:) model on the internet for cheaper and they will lower their price. Worked for me. Also most weight sets are 150lbs. I suggest you get one up to 200lbs for a better workout.
OH REALLY, CUZ I GOT THIS OUTFIT FROM YO MOMMA!
Forumosan avatar
hipster dufus
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby KEIRseven » 08 Dec 2010, 10:15

Cheers for the links and info! I appreciate it!
Forumosan avatar
KEIRseven
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Health and Fitness