How do you know when century eggs are bad?

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Postby daasgrrl » 22 Apr 2004, 16:44

SuperS54 wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are 'Century Eggs'?? Are you talking about tea eggs, or thousand year old eggs, or something completely different?

I think they're talking about the same thing as 'thousand-year-old eggs', or preserved eggs. 100, 1000, whatever :)

I've only eaten them in congee or fried with greens - yum! Don't like the idea of eating one with tofu and fish flakes at all though - mind you, s'pose I should actually try it first...
Hotel Forumosa: Still looking for the exits...
Forumosan avatar
daasgrrl
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Spack » 22 Apr 2004, 22:41

shimmers wrote:Spack: So.. how did you find out if "I've not dared to even look at one to this day"?

Shimmers, please read my post again carefully!
"I've not dared to even look at one to this day" means 'I've not dared to look at one since that fateful day.

Spack wrote:My first experience of these eggs was when I'd only been here a few months. I thought 'what the heck I'll try anything once' and gobbled a mouthful, no soft tofu, no nothing. RANK, NASTY, UGH! I quickly stuffed my mouth with white rice to get rid of the taste. I've not dared to even look at one to this day.

Hope that's clear now. :D
Spack
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby daasgrrl » 23 Apr 2004, 08:35

Spack wrote:
shimmers wrote:Spack: So.. how did you find out if "I've not dared to even look at one to this day"?

Shimmers, please read my post again carefully!
"I've not dared to even look at one to this day" means 'I've not dared to look at one since that fateful day.

I think he meant 'how did you know you were meant to add the sauce'? And I assume the answer is - you were told by someone :)
Hotel Forumosa: Still looking for the exits...
Forumosan avatar
daasgrrl

1 Recognized(s)

Postby ac_dropout » 23 Apr 2004, 09:26

I guess you could try "iron egg" they're salty.
ac_dropout
Suspended (bèi jìnle)
Suspended (bèi jìnle)

Postby Hobart » 23 Apr 2004, 15:30

Shin-Gua wrote:Who in hell wants to eat an egg thats been pickled in piss?
They no longer use horse piss to preserve the eggs. It is done some other way now. Not even sure if you can find any made with Horse piss any longer.
Forumosan avatar
Hobart
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

Postby Bu Lai En » 23 Apr 2004, 19:04

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are 'Century Eggs'?? Are you talking about tea eggs, or thousand year old eggs, or something completely different?

Yes 1000-year eggs (that's the term Ipersonally use). Not hey aren't actually preseved in horse piss and of course they're neither 100 or 1000 years old.

A good place to try a good variety of good eggs is at Jiufen.

Those 'salty eggs' (xian dan) can be pretty good too. Actually I think I discoverd that they are an excellent hangover cure. On the (first) day of the worst hangover of my entire life, I couldn't stomach the idea of anything at all to eat, but in the end, I pulled a salty egg out of the fridge (around 5PM). I couldn't stomach the thought of the yolks, but after eating the whites I immediately felt a little better. My nausea actually died down enough to sleep again.

Brian
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

15 Recognized(s)

Postby ac_dropout » 25 Apr 2004, 06:26

I couldn't stomach the thought of the yolks, but after eating the whites I immediately felt a little better. My nausea actually died down enough to sleep again.

Must be the horse piss they use to pickle the "salty eggs" kicking in. :wink:
ac_dropout
Suspended (bèi jìnle)
Suspended (bèi jìnle)

Postby sticks of fury » 25 Apr 2004, 11:47

Hobart wrote:
Shin-Gua wrote:Who in hell wants to eat an egg thats been pickled in piss?
They no longer use horse piss to preserve the eggs. It is done some other way now. Not even sure if you can find any made with Horse piss any longer.

Betcha they use piss in china still.
Forumosan avatar
sticks of fury
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby Anonymous » 26 Apr 2004, 10:54

Daasgrrl: Thanks for clarifying w/Spack.

Spack: I thought you might have actually eaten with sauce since, and enjoyed it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Anonymous

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Anonymous » 26 Apr 2004, 11:36

SuperS54: Picture of opened century egg here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/32272559Qhzftm
It's somewhere after the cat eating the egg.
Anonymous

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Health and Fitness