Quitting the Bottle...

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Postby rassie » 02 May 2004, 13:08

Me and my friend had a bottle of South Afrivan brandy last night.It feels so good to start the party and having a good time.Now its the next morning and it suck.Every mornig when I wake up with a hung over I ask myself the question.Does this feel good now.What are you doing and then:I never gonna drink again,till next time.
rassie
rassie
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Woman = handbrake...

Postby gregsoul » 02 May 2004, 19:30

Mwalimu, I'm with you on the getting a girl to keep oneself out of mischief.

In fact, last night I asked my girl to marry me.

She told me to sober up and call call her in the morning, if I still felt the same way about her.

I still do. Let's see what happens...

Btw, anyone know a decent jeweller? Looks like I'm gonna have to work a bit harder in the upcoming months :s ....

Laters
gregsoul

ORIGINAL POSTER

Popping the big question

Postby mwalimu » 02 May 2004, 23:57

Greg,

Wow. Bold move. Hope that everything works out with you two. And I hope that you do sort out your problem, so that the sauce doesn't undermine your future together.
mwalimu

1 Recognized(s)

Postby WanderingDave » 03 May 2004, 14:00

I quit drinking the second I touched down in Taiwan, and didn't drink a drop for my first 9 months here. I have the alcoholism gene, and really dug the booze from the second I first tasted it when I was 9.

I think the "alcohol gene" involves having low serotonin (a neurotransmitter) levels. Go to the pharmacy accross from Er Er Ba Peace Park and next to Fubon Bank in Taipei, and order some 5-htp. This is the chemical precursor to serotonin, and will up your brain's serotonin levels immediately. I stopped craving alcohol and carbohydrates after I started taking 5htp every day.

You could also go to a chinese medicine shop and ask for ge1gen3 (kudzu root). The sour, chalky tea you can make from this inexpensive root will also take away your craving for alcohol.
Dave
WanderingDave
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby mod lang » 16 Jun 2004, 19:01

O.K., so it's been over a month, nearly a couple of months now, and no booze - I'm on my sobriety binge. And they choose <b>this</b> time to bring out 6 or 7 new beer flavors in 7-11. You know how often they get a <i>new</i> beer brand in 7-11? Dude, like <b>never</b>! It's always the same 10 brands of brew. So now every time I walk into 7-11 I have those new 3 for 79 NT Asahis staring at me. Taunting me.

Man, when I go back to the States and have 400 beer selections available in the shops, I'm going to go on <b>HUGE</b> freakin' bender.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it."
-- George Bernard Shaw

Show me a cultural relativist at thirty thousand feet and I'll show you a hypocrite. Airplanes are built according to scientific principles and they work. They stay aloft and they get you to a chosen destination. Airplanes built to tribal or mythological specifications such as the dummy planes of the Cargo cults in jungle clearings or the bees-waxed wings of Icarus don't.
mod lang
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

One more reason to quit drinking

Postby hoedad » 14 Jul 2004, 09:16

I bet this guy wishes he'd quit drinking sooner:

Reuters
Man Jailed for Shooting Off His Testicles:wall:

Tue Jul 13, 1:06 PM ET

Add Oddly Enough - Reuters to My Yahoo!

LONDON (Reuters) - A British man who accidentally shot himself in the testicles after drinking 15 pints of beer was jailed for five years on Tuesday for possessing an illegal firearm, a court spokesman said.

David Walker, 28, was arguing with a friend at a pub in South Yorkshire, northern England, when he went home to get his sawed-off shotgun, which he jammed into his trousers.

But as he walked back to the pub, the gun went off, blasting pellets into his testicles. Doctors later removed what remained of his testicles during emergency surgery.

Walker admitted possessing a prohibited weapon at a hearing in June at the court in Sheffield.
hoedad

Postby Mother Theresa » 14 Jul 2004, 10:00

mwalimu wrote:Someone cautioned against AA - because of the deep Christian roots/philosophy of the organisation. AA wouldn't be my first choice either, because of this. But according to their website they are completly non-affiliated. Does anyone know the real deal here?

I've never been to an AA meeting, but I learned over a decade ago that my older brother felt he had a serious substance abuse problem. He has been very successful at his career in the hospitality industry (hotels and restaurants), but he used to drink excessively on the job. When meeting with clients it was standard practice to have a double whatever, followed by another double, and what the heck, maybe one more, followed by a bottle of wine with the meal. When not meeting with clients he liked to smoke pot, apparently too often. I wasn't aware of this at the time, but he later told me his wife almost left him over his use of substances.

So he started attending AA. Although no one in my family has ever been a churchgoer, and we're all pretty turned off by Christianity, AA was an astounding success for my bro. He hasn't had a drink or a toke in over 10 years, despite the fact that he's an outstanding cook, eats very well and others often drink good wines and beers in his company, and he doesn't even seem to be the least bit tempted.

My understanding is that AA talks about a higher power, but it's not necessarily a/the Christian God. In any event, one can't argue with success. My bro was not turned into a panty-waist churchgoer, but he did kick his problem, so I'm sold on the system. If I ever felt I had a substance abuse problem I would definitely consider AA, NA, etc.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby djmyers » 15 Jul 2004, 00:31

For drinking habits, I personally put them under three states:
Chemical addiction- Hard. Need to stop
Mental/Habitual addiction- Difficult. Control it.
Social addiction- Easy/Difficult/Hard
Depends on the person. Getting by in Taiwan by drinking when you arrive here is the easiest way to meet people and be accepted. Once you are here a few years, it is the easiest way to meet new people and see other expats. Depending on where you are from, Taiwan has a higher social acceptance of drinking than many other countries. More challenging is when commonalities between expats is centrally around drinking. You don't have to watch the sunrise every night. You don't need to lock yourself in a room eveyday either. Know yourself. The strongest foundation in your life as you get older needs to be yourself.
No right answer. Depends on the person and their decision, or the destruction it does in their life.
I was gratified to answer the man promptly. I replied by saying, "I don't know".
M. Twain
djmyers
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Health and Fitness