Diabetes and my glucometer

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Diabetes and my glucometer

Postby stare » 02 Jun 2004, 11:20

Hello everyone,

I have been in Taichung for 2 months now and my Blood glucometer has just broke down for some odd reason. I brought it with me from Canada and it was working fine up till a week ago. Unfortunately, I do not have my ARC yet, but it is in the works, which also means that I do not have my National Health Insurance either. I have made an appointment to see an endocrinologist at the Ren'ai hospital it will cost me more to see the doctor but I will just have to bite the bullet on this one. If there are any people with diabetes in Taichung could you please let me know where you got your glucometer from and what it cost you? I currently use the lifescan meter but I cannot find the strips for it here (ultra one touch it gives a reading in 5 seconds).

Before I left Canada I contacted the company and they told me that the meter I use is unavalaible in the Taiwan market. Although, they did say there was another meter but it is essentially one model down and gives readings in 20 seconds. Right now I am willing to buy almost any meter that is available but where do you buy them and do you need a prescription?

Also any information you might know about getting insulin would be vital as well. I still have about a 4 or 5 month supply. I currently use NovoRapid and Novolin NPH. I was told by Novolin in Canada that the insulin name for NPH here is Insultard. If anyone is using these two insulins let me know where you get them and what they cost?

Thank you for any help it would be greatly appreciated.
stare
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Bassman » 02 Jun 2004, 11:47

I am type II. I know that the glucometers are freely available at almost any drug store. Reasonably priced. Medication - I don't have injections. Food is going to be your biggest hassle.
Forumosan avatar
Bassman
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby stare » 04 Jun 2004, 12:07

Thanks for your reply,

The people at Ren'ai hospital are very welcoming and they speak English very well. I would recommend any one who needs a doctor to visit them. They regularly have advertisements in Compass. I also did manage to get a new meter with the help of the Ren'ai staff, it cost me a pretty penny but it is worth it. Oh and by the way I don't really have such a big problem with food, NovoRapid is a wonderful insulin fast acting and short lasting - perfect for meal times. I'm not saying I load up on the carbs in fact I try to limit them as much as possible but if I want to I can have the occasional sweet here and there.
stare

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Health and Fitness