Taking a walk in the forest -- health risks?

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Taking a walk in the forest -- health risks?

Postby WanderingDave » 09 Jun 2004, 16:26

If I were to just take a hike in the forest in Taiwan, somewhere where there is no trail or any human presence at all, what would be the biggest threats to my health and safety I'd need to bear in mind? How should I prepare for them?

I'm not planning on camping or hiking at night, by the way. I'm not experienced enough to do that anywhere.
Dave
WanderingDave
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby sandman » 09 Jun 2004, 16:36

If I were to just take a hike in the forest in Taiwan, somewhere where there is no trail or any human presence at all, what would be the biggest threats to my health and safety I'd need to bear in mind? How should I prepare for them?

Frustration. Take some that wonder drug with you. :wink: Seriously, if you're thinking about bushwhacking here, I'd say forget it. Number 1, you'll cover so little distance it won't be worth your while -- the forests are seriously overgrown with brush and you'll not get far, even with a petrol-driven strimmer, saw and machete. Number 2, in the unlikely event that you do cover any distance, it would be extremely easy to get lost among the many detours you'd have to take to avoid ravines, ridges, etc.

And there are beasties out there, some of which can bite and sting.

Be sensible and stick to the many, many trails.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby Incubus » 09 Jun 2004, 17:19

sandman wrote:And there are beasties out there, some of which can bite and sting.

Snakes, wasps, stray dogs, leeches, giant spiders, just to name some of the ones I've come across on my many a hike here.
Incubus
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

12 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Health and Fitness