Rabies vaccinations in Taichung?

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Rabies vaccinations in Taichung?

Postby waigui » 11 Jul 2004, 23:11

Does anybody know where I can get rabies vaccinations in the Taichung/Zhanghua area (no, I'm not frightened of the local dogs nor have been bitten by them, I'm just travelling)? Also, what brand/trade name of rabies vaccination are used in these places, if they in fact exist?

Thanks in advance

Waigui
waigui
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Joesox » 11 Jul 2004, 23:56

Sorry, no specific information, but the first place I would try would be the China Medical College Hospital (Zhongguo Yiyao Xueyuan) on Xueshi Road in Taichung.

I'm interested in any information people have about vaccinations in general. I'm not travelling out of Taiwan and don't need a rabies vaccination but I'm due to get hep B. and typhoid boosters.
Joesox
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

I don't know if this will help you or not . . .

Postby waigui » 12 Jul 2004, 01:26

since you're not travelling but my doctor said that there was a clinic in the airport itself. Bit of a pain in the ass to travel there before the actual date of departure.

The only other advice that I can think of is trying out your county health bureaus. I managed to get malaria pills but no rabies vaccinations in Zhanghua, where I live right now.
waigui
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby bobbe » 12 Jul 2004, 09:40

When I went for vaccinations before traveling the nurse told me it isn't necessary to get a rabies vaccine and if you get bitten by something you could administer the vaccine for some time after the bite. But that's assuming there will be a hospital nearby wherever you get bitten!
bobbe

Postby mrjared » 13 Jul 2004, 23:09

According to Taiwan's Center for Disease Control at http://203.65.72.83/En/dpc/ShowPublicat ... ?RecNo=712, No cases of rabies have been reported in Taiwan since 1959.

Taiwan CDC has places listed: http://www.cdc.gov.tw/en/di/ShowPublica ... ?RecNo=567
mrjared
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Thanks to everybody who wrote in!

Postby waigui » 13 Jul 2004, 23:28

This information is gonna be very useful (so, I guess, thanks especially to mrjared). joesaw, I hope that what little information I gave you is helpful.

Thanks again,

waigui
waigui
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Thanks to everybody who wrote in!

Postby Joesox » 15 Jul 2004, 12:17

waigui wrote:joesaw, I hope that what little information I gave you is helpful.
Thanks Waigui, actually I'm just being lazy. I have a couple of doctor friends and I'm sure they could tell me where and how to get booster immunizations. When they do, I'll post the info. I'll check with them about the rabies jab as well.

What I was told in the UK was that a rabies immunization simply buys you time. If you're bitten by an animal in a place that has rabies, you need to get jabs whether you've been immunized or not. The difference is the amount of time you have. If you haven't been immunized, you need to get a jab as soon as possible and at least within 24 hours if I remember correctly. If you have been immunized, you have a bit longer -- useful if you're in a remote place.
Joesox

7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Re: Thanks to everybody who wrote in!

Postby robert_storey » 15 Jul 2004, 22:15

joesax wrote:
waigui wrote:What I was told in the UK was that a rabies immunization simply buys you time. If you're bitten by an animal in a place that has rabies, you need to get jabs whether you've been immunized or not. The difference is the amount of time you have. If you haven't been immunized, you need to get a jab as soon as possible and at least within 24 hours if I remember correctly. If you have been immunized, you have a bit longer -- useful if you're in a remote place.

Actually, it buys you a little more than that. You'll need far fewer shots to eradicate the infection if you've been vaccinated first. Also, I think you'll have a lot more than 24 hours. Rabies isn't fatal - at first. Spends some weeks incubating before it reaches the brain, and during that time there are no symptoms. Once it reaches the brain, you're a goner.

A rabies vaccination isn't a bad idea, but I don't know anyplace in Taiwan that does this. I've noticed that the Taiwanese are not big on getting vaccinations anyway - they get the childhood ones that the government requires before you can attend school (like polio), and that's all.

regards,
Robert
Forumosan avatar
robert_storey
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Spack » 17 Jul 2004, 11:24

joesax wrote:the China Medical College Hospital (Zhongguo Yiyao Xueyuan) on Xueshi Road in Taichung (Taizhong).

Just to be picky, the biggest and best hospital in central Taiwan is now a university hospital:
China Medical University Hospital (Zhongguo Yiyao DaXue).
Spack
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Ah, darnit.

Postby waigui » 18 Jul 2004, 11:45

So I went to Taichung, tried to go to the Center for Disease Control, only to find that it had moved from the present site for two years. Ain't bureaucracy grand? :roll: Still, thanks to joesax for giving me the information.

After the security guard at the site, which was a bank, gave me the correct address, I had to get a taxi all the way to the boonies and they outright refused to give me a rabies vaccination, saying that it wasn't needed even though I explained that I was going to a high-risk area. Again, ain't bureaucracy grand? :roll:
waigui
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Health and Fitness