Weight...more or less?

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Since you came to Taiwan...

I have lost weight
40%
I have gained weight
44%
I have stayed the same weight
16%

Total votes : 55

Weight...more or less?

Postby Trapper » 14 Jul 2004, 00:26

Hi,

I have a semi-silly, semi-serious question for all you people who currently live, or has lived, in Taiwan:

"Have you lost, gained, or stayed the same weight as when you 1st arrived in Taiwan?"

The reason I am asking is that I originally thought I would lose weight, but then I thought, - well would I?

REASONS I SHOULD LOSE WEIGHT:

1) Taiwanese food is generally alot healther than UK food (but then again - what isn't?)
2) Fruit and veg can be found anywhere, and again, is alot cheaper than in the UK.
3) V hot in Taiwan - I usually eat less when I am in a hot country.
4) I will sweat alot (sorry - perspire) - therefore I could lose weight that way?
5) I will keep on comparing my big-boned western body to Taiwanese people, and this will ensure that I keep on trying to lose weight.

REASONS WHY I WON'T LOSE WEIGHT:

1) The food is glorious and gorgeous - I will surely have to try everything they can throw at me!
2) I will be busier at work than ever, and so will have less time to eat?
3) Can't be bothered - other things to do.
4) I seem to get forced-fed whenever I am there - by in-laws, food stall-owners, etc...
5) Food is cheap, cheap, cheap - when compared to the UK.
6) Can buy food/drink any time, any place in Taipei...convenience...

As you can see, my mind is very well balanced in terms of this topic, and any thoughts from anyone out there who has experienced/is experiencing this would be much appreciated???

/ Trapper

PS - I have ASKED THIS SAME QUESTION IN ANOTHER TAIWAN-ORIENTED FORUM, BUT I JUST WONDERED IF I WILL GET THE SAME ANSWERS HERE AS I DID IN TAIWAN HO!.
Trapper
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Jinete Mortal » 14 Jul 2004, 01:48

I shed a lot of weight last summer when I was in Shenzhen and Beijing. I've managed to keep most of that off. I lost about a good 30 lbs. and gained back about 10 since being here. Still trying to get it down lower though, as my playing days are behind me and I don't need to be so massive anymore. My playing weight in Uni, btw, was 300 lbs. Just your typical college football monstrosity. :lol:
"Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside them was superior to circumstance." -Bruce Barton
This is not a defeat. I shall return.
Forumosan avatar
Jinete Mortal
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

Postby miso » 14 Jul 2004, 03:05

I've always lost weight in Taiwan before I got introduced to my boyfriends parents. I was busier then, less home and only had a small fridge and no kitchen.

I'm gaining weight now for the first time in Taiwan cause I'm working at home, got a big fridge and a kitchen (actually that doesn't matter, I hardly ever cook) and most important cause we are eating at the parents place often now and you can't eat a little with the mother breating down your neck....=((
miso
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby Tetsuo » 14 Jul 2004, 03:06

I lost about 25 kg in my year in HK, and I'm already heading down the same path here - last I checked I'd dropped about 5kg since arrival without even making an effort. I reckon it's the substantially reduced dairy intake that's doing it... about the only dairy I get here is either in my daily coffee or the occasional Alleycat's pizza :)
Tetsuo
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

Postby mwalimu » 14 Jul 2004, 07:00

Jinete Mortal wrote:. My playing weight in Uni, btw, was 300 lbs. Just your typical college football monstrosity. :lol:

Wow, formidable. How tall are you? And how are the knees holding up?
mwalimu
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Loretta » 14 Jul 2004, 07:14

I have never had a weight problem in my life. I have always pissed people off by eating whatever I like and doing as little exercise as I please.

In Taiwan I have gained 10kg despite exercising and not having aircon to stop me sweating it off.
Loretta
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

56 Recommends(s)
66 Recognized(s)

Postby Jinete Mortal » 14 Jul 2004, 11:56

mwalimu wrote:
Jinete Mortal wrote:. My playing weight in Uni, btw, was 300 lbs. Just your typical college football monstrosity. :lol:

Wow, formidable. How tall are you? And how are the knees holding up?

6'3" or 190 cm for you metric people. :p College defensive lineman. I'm lucky that my knees are still in tip top shape, and I hope I don't get the knee curse that comes later on. To be honest, I never suffered anything worse than a strained hand in 10 years of playing ball (no I wasn't a bench warmer :p ...I was a full starter all 10 years, including being a 2 way starter all 4 years of HS), so I am in much better condition than many ex-players.
"Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside them was superior to circumstance." -Bruce Barton
This is not a defeat. I shall return.
Forumosan avatar
Jinete Mortal

Postby Richardm » 14 Jul 2004, 12:06

And you played for... ?
Richardm
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby Tigerman » 14 Jul 2004, 12:26

He played for fun!
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

262 Recommends(s)
195 Recognized(s)

Postby Kahna » 14 Jul 2004, 12:41

Jinete Mortal, 190 cms and 300 lbs?! Holy. Shit. I am 190 and a massive, whopping, immense 150 lbs (actually, I worked it out to roughly 147lbs, but being less than half the man you are makes me weep sorrowfully). I eat like a horse (no, not grass, and no, not out of a feedbag), but to no avail.

I have lost about ten kgs in the three and a half years I've been here.
If you doubt this is possible, how is it there are PYGMIES + DWARFS??
Kahna
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

1 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Health and Fitness