Weight...more or less?

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Since you came to Taiwan...

I have lost weight
40%
I have gained weight
44%
I have stayed the same weight
16%

Total votes : 55

You don't 'love' the food when you first get to Taiwan.

Postby Kick-Stand » 15 Jul 2004, 10:53

When I first arrived in Taiwan, I dropped huge, HUGE amounts of weight. But I wasn't eating that much....it was Kaohsiung 1997 so Western food was only avail. in certain districts, and I only liked certain local dishes. I remember the very first meal I ever had in Kaohsiung was fried shrimp with garlic and I hated it; couldn't even finish the meal.....slowly....gradually...I started getting onto more and more local foods until I was craving all the local delicacies, esp. chou tofu, 7 spices corn, etc. and a lot of the weight came back.

Now I'm back in Canada and I'm a fat bastard. Too many carbs.
Kick-Stand
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Southpaw » 15 Jul 2004, 10:54

"1) Taiwanese food is generally alot healther than UK food (but then again - what isn't?)
2) Fruit and veg can be found anywhere, and again, is alot cheaper than in the UK. "

These statements are just so far of the mark I just lept out of my seat and yelled NO!

The first one is way too general and sweeping- What is Taiwanese food? Is it Chicken steaks that have been deep fried several times before you get them? Is it vegetarian buddhist stuff (soaked in oil)?
The same goes for the food in the uk..Greasy English breakfast..or a healthy meat and several veg?

I need to go and take a dump now so I'll be quick.

fruit and veg are WAY MORE EXPENSIVE here than in the uk- Jesus! It is ridiculous what you will pay for an apple or a few cherries or even the local produce. The UK still benefits from its colonial history and get really cheap imports from africa and lord knows where else- a log of vegetables are domestically grown and as such are fairly cheap.
Forumosan avatar
Southpaw
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby Mucha Man » 15 Jul 2004, 13:07

I arrived here 8 years ago weighing 76 kilos. I now weigh 75.5 kilos as of this morning's weighing in. Help me I'm melting. :help:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

804 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 15 Jul 2004, 14:25

fruit and veg are WAY MORE EXPENSIVE here than in the uk- Jesus! It is ridiculous what you will pay for an apple or a few cherries or even the local produce.

Veggies seemed very expensive in London.

Only some fruit, such as apples, is expensive here. Stuff like bananas, watermelons and guavas is incredibly cheap.

Brian
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

15 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 15 Jul 2004, 14:44

sandman wrote:I was about 70kg when I arrived here in 1988, stayed the same until... er... circumstances took me down to less than 50kg for a few years. Now I'm back to about 75kg. Unfortunately, that additional 5kg is IN MAH BELLY!

:wink: I'm not saying a word....I've gained a kilo a year over 13 years...67 when i came 80 now tho' I'm trying hard to get that down to 78. was 79 today...my downfall is simple; paigu fan, jitwiefan, sanbao fan... :help:
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

30 Recommends(s)
107 Recognized(s)

Postby ImaniOU » 15 Jul 2004, 15:49

I think I did pretty good considering that while I was in university, I had four months of very intensive exercise outdoors during the hot Ohio summers and autumns guaranteed every year and then lighter exercise the rest of the year with my phys ed filler courses like figure skating, bowling, and swimming. My senior year was when I put on weight because I was a manager in the dining halls 28 hours a week and didn't have space to squeeze in phys ed courses because I was taking 21 credit hours to finish both my majors on time. I have lost a lot of that weight, but not nearly enough. I was just looking at my pictures from France in 1999 and have set my goal so that I look like that again by this time next year, minus the facial piercing :wink:. It'll involve losing another 20 kilos.
"We're talking about Taiwanese media whose attention spans make your average goldfish look like the Amazing Kreskin."
- ImaniOU
Forumosan avatar
ImaniOU
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Location: On Ihla Forumosa.com, waiting for the babelfish to kick in
2 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby wolf_reinhold » 15 Jul 2004, 16:31

Tetsuo:
I lost about 25 kg (55 lbs)

Jinete Mortal:
I lost about a good 30 lbs (13.6 kg)

Kahna:
I have lost about ten kg (22 lbs)

Ophion:
I was up to 193 pounds
Forumosan avatar
wolf_reinhold
"Drinks for the House!"

2 Recognized(s)

Postby ImaniOU » 15 Jul 2004, 17:15

The next Happy Hour that you and I can both make it to, I'll show you photos of what I looked like when I first came to Taiwan in 2001 and we'll see if you think I'm being honest. Besides, 20 kg in 3 years is only 1-1/4 pounds a month. Just moving to Taiwan changed two factors that contributed greatly to my weight gain: being inert and being around food for 5+ hours a day.

These are HUGE amounts to lose unless you are obese to begin with. Twenty kilos is almost half the weight of many Chinese women I know.

Eighty-eight pounds for a grown, healthy woman is not normal no matter what her body build or ethnicity. :roll:

http://www.halls.md/on/WomenWeightOther.gif
"We're talking about Taiwanese media whose attention spans make your average goldfish look like the Amazing Kreskin."
- ImaniOU
Forumosan avatar
ImaniOU

Location: On Ihla Forumosa.com, waiting for the babelfish to kick in
2 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby Vannyel » 15 Jul 2004, 17:27

ImaniOU...doesn't it have something to do with height as well...my sisters and my mom are under five feet tall... :wink:
Vannyel
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby wolf_reinhold » 15 Jul 2004, 17:35

....sigh....
I said almost half .
20 kg is almost half of, say, 50 kg.
My point was that for an average person, losing 20 kg would be a huge amount. If I were to lose that amount, and I have my little beer belly (worth every inch), I would look like someone just freed from a concentration camp.
The people that dropped these large amounts of weigh must have been whales to begin with.
Forumosan avatar
wolf_reinhold
"Drinks for the House!"

2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Health and Fitness