Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Mouth Ulcers

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Postby Vannyel » 27 Jul 2004, 21:57

Miki wrote:
What worked for me was getting more sleep and changing the toothpaste I used

True.
Regular toothpastes contain Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, which has no purpose except to create the foaming effect and to create mouth sores. Lauryl sulphates is basically a very harsh detergent, and is one of the most common ingredients used in shampoos, not to mention as an industrial degreasant and garage floor cleaner. More info here:
http://www.health-report.co.uk/sodium_l ... phate.html

You might also be allergic to sulfur...I am. It normally isn't much of a problem but too much expose causes a rash or maybe in your case these ulcers. Most body soaps and shampoos also contain Sodium Lauryl Sulphate. I believe tooth powders don't contain it....most bar soaps don't either (if you are allergic). :wink:
Vannyel
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Spack » 27 Jul 2004, 23:20

Dangermouse - I wonder if you grind your teeth at night? You might not even know you do it. If you bite your tongue even slightly that can result in a mouth ulcer.
Spack
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby bionic ninja » 28 Jul 2004, 04:24

robert_storey wrote:Canker sores, not cancer sores. If you've got cancer sores, it's time to write a will.

regards,
Robert

Wow, you're the first poster to criticize my English. I feel like I've just gone through a Forumosan rite of passage. Dude, thanks for officiating at the ceremony. Could you keep an eye out for my posts in the future? You're better than a spell checker. You're like a walking dictionary. Man, I bet you won a few spelling bees when you were in elementary school. I hope you kept the ribbons because I would love to see them sometime. Keep up the good work, champ!

Sandman--

I don't know if the powder I'm referring to is "watermelon frost." "Kuiyansan" does not mean "watermelon frost." I'd check the ingredients for you, but unfortunately the sticker on the back of the bottle has long since come off. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
bionic ninja
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby jeff » 29 Jul 2004, 00:43

Deficiencies of vitamin B12, folate, zinc and iron can cause mouth ulcers (aphthous ulcers), so do be sure you're getting enough of these. If it's what I think it is (bitter-tasting green powder that comes in small brown vials), the watermelon stuff Sandman mentioned works well. The toothpaste suggestion was also good. Food allergies might play a role as well.

But recurrent mouth ulcers can be caused by different things, so try to get yourself to see an internist, especially if you have any other weird symptoms.
Forumosan avatar
jeff
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

Postby MilesFromNeihu » 25 Nov 2004, 17:01

I have suffered with canker sores off and on for 50 years, that I can remember. When I was about 20, my Stateside doctor said that the latest therapy was revaccination. We tried it; didn't work. I have also tried L-Lysine; didn't work either.
It took me decades to find this out, but what works, for me, is Philips Milk of Magnesia, or similar. I prefer the tablets, though they are getting harder to find. I have bought generic magnesium hydroxide tablets locally, too, but they are rather coarser and more chalky than Phillips. So I stock up when I'm back in the States.
I've been told, locally, (FWIW) that the cause is: huo chi Tai-Da. It is now my opinion that canker sores (mine, at least) are directly related to systemic over acidity. (Is this the same as huo chi da?)
Anyway, when I find one coming on, I take about 4 or 5 tabs the first morning, and 3 tabs on succeeding mornings till the sore is gone. Takes maybe three days. Pretty painless, and it works. Too bad I didn't figure it out a few decades sooner.
Forumosan avatar
MilesFromNeihu
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby Dangermouse » 26 Nov 2004, 23:57

I don't think I have offered a "thankyou" for this thread and I have been very rude, so for all:

"Thank you."

I have tried a mixture of remidies and changed my toothpaste. One of the remidies works - I'm not sure one, but I don't get them as frequently :notworthy:

ta.
Dangermouse
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

ORIGINAL POSTER

xi gua shuang

Postby BigJim » 27 Nov 2004, 00:56

Dude, get some watermelon frost from an herbalist.
Xi Gua = watermelon, Shuang = frost.

Its mostly from PRC so it can be a bit hard to find.
Get it in Hong Kong or a friend travelling there, it is plentiful.

Its like dried watermelon rind or something, its a green
powder, spray it on the affected area. Sooner is better.

Works miracles for me.
Get your 150x150 avatar here!
http://www.whatididinthewar.com/bush.html/
Forumosan avatar
BigJim
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby She » 17 Dec 2004, 16:47

can you find Kenalog Orabase in Taiwan?

I get mouth ulcers maybe once or twice a year and this works extremely well at getting rid of them.
She
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby butcher boy » 17 Dec 2004, 17:46

I tried the watermelon frost but to no effect. Now I have something called Nincort Oral Gell. It dosn't heal the ulcers but it does cover it fairly well so that they don't hurt so much. As for cures? Well I think it is a bit tricky to tell. I reackon most of the 'cures' people find don't do any 'curing' at all. The ulcers just get better by themselves. Maybe I am just getting cynical due to the 'placebo medicine' that seems to be the mainstay of Taiwanese medical practice.
'I strongly recomend if you only ever read one book in your life... you keep your f**king mouth shut' (Banksy?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYnL5oUePM8...take the hint Bobby M
Forumosan avatar
butcher boy
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Location: London, but I'll be back... it's just taking longer than I thought

Postby mrjared » 19 Dec 2004, 16:13

The stuff I was given is called "Dexaltin Oral Paste" also written in Katakana on the package is DEKISARUTEN.

The two ingredients are:
Dexamelthasone J.P. 1.0 mg
Sodium Polyacrylate 300 mg

The amazing thing is that the pain went away overnight after taking the stuff. It's so quick to heal that it scares the hell out of me and I won't use it unless I'm in a lot of pain. My wife thinks I'm nuts and will use it any time. I guess I just worry about something that works THAT good.

If I remember correctly, I got it from a woman behind the counter at Cosmed...
mrjared
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Health and Fitness