Can Roaches have Rabies?

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Can Roaches have Rabies?

Postby SuperCurl » 31 Jul 2004, 10:46

I am soon leaving for Taiwan, and I'm in the process of getting some recommended vaccinations. On the list of these recommendations is a rabies shot. I'm assuming that there may be a low risk of rabies in the city, where I will be living, but my doctor informed me that roaches in apartment buildings can carry the virus too. Is she scaring me into paying the extremely high cost of this shot? :(
SuperCurl
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby maoman » 31 Jul 2004, 10:55

There is no rabies in Taiwan. You don't need the shot.
Forumosan avatar
maoman

72 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Visitor » 31 Jul 2004, 11:48

I've been warned to tone down my language, so I won't say what I really think of your "doctor". Your doctor is full of it. Only mammals can get rabies. Mosquitoes don't spread AIDS, neither. Think about it, if cockroaches carried rabies we'd all be dead by now, there are so many of them in everybody's houses, they'd crawl up in our beds and bite us and every human in the world would die from rabies infection from crazy cockroaches.
Visitor

Postby totallytika » 31 Jul 2004, 11:59

Maoman is right - Taiwan is Rabies free. The most important shots you should get before coming to Taiwan are the Hep immunizations, A, B and the C series. I suggest that instead of going to your local GP who may not be aware of all the ins and outs of this, you should go to your public health clinic. They should have a department which deals specifically with overseas immunizations and have the most up to date info.

I can't find my records right now but I know that the entire series which I received cost me about $110.00 Cdn total.
Forumosan avatar
totallytika
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby grayson » 31 Jul 2004, 12:12

Only shots ya need for taiwan would be a Hep B and a Tetanus booster. Bring some anti-acid (maalox/mylanta) and some cough syrup (i prefer delsym it's over the counter) just in case the climate change and food doesn't take right away.

Hep B is a 3 shot over 3 months process. If you don't have the time, don't freak you can get them here in Taiwan. Tetanus is a one shot deal. You get this boost once every 5-10 years depending on occupation and lifestyle.
Forumosan avatar
grayson
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

yes rabbis do get roaches

Postby dix2111 » 31 Jul 2004, 14:33

I don't know what you are talking about but Rabbis are just like the rest of us. they can get roaches too.
dix2111

Postby Joesox » 31 Jul 2004, 17:12

totallytika wrote:Maoman is right - Taiwan is Rabies free. The most important shots you should get before coming to Taiwan are the Hep immunizations, A, B and the C series.
Consider getting the Japanese B Encephalitis immunization as well. See here for more info:
http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph ... 062#212062
Joesox
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

7 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby MaPoSquid » 31 Jul 2004, 18:07

totallytika wrote:Maoman is right - Taiwan is Rabies free. The most important shots you should get before coming to Taiwan are the Hep immunizations, A, B and the C series.

Also get the SARS vaccine. :D

BTW, unless things have changed in the last three months, there's no vaccine (or treatment) available for HepC, so don't have sex or share needles with anyone who has it.
Got out alive
Forumosan avatar
MaPoSquid
"Drinks for the House!"

1 Recognized(s)

Postby brianlkennedy » 31 Jul 2004, 18:46

Did you see a Taiwanese cockroach foam at the mouth and refuse to drink water; is that what caused you concern? Oh, I did not read your post carefully, you are elsewhere getting ready to move to Taiwan....on a serious note, you might want to report your doctor to the Board of Medical Quality Assurance (or whatever they call it where you live).

Your doctor is either trying to overbill your insurance company, bilk you personally out of some money or they are trying to win a bet with one of their fellow doctors that they can b.s. a patient into believing that roachs can have rabies. Rabies is a disease carried only by mammals, not insects.

Official Disclaimer: Attorney Brian L. Kennedy is not a medical doctor but as a trial attorney he does have the ability to detect b.s. at a range of up to 100 meters away.

As to what shots to get, take the advice of the other posters.

take care,
Brian Juris Docktor
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown
brianlkennedy
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

Postby Neo » 31 Jul 2004, 20:07

Be sure to update your childhood immunizations, you may need boosters for some of them. I think I took some pills for a polio booster.
Neo
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Next

x

Return to Health and Fitness