average baby weight for mixed race baby

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

average baby weight for mixed race baby

Postby dix2111 » 01 Aug 2004, 20:40

i guess the subject says it all.

my pregnant (chinese) is freaking out because so far, with 1 more week to go before delivery, the baby weighs almost 4000grams. my wife's brother(not a stocking lad) was about 2200. she is afraid that she's going to deliver a baby elephant. I think 4000grams is a bit on the large side but still normalish. since i use this forum for all my life decisions I thought you could give some free medicl advice.
dix2111
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby answerer » 01 Aug 2004, 21:11

I remember reading somewhere that the average birth weight is around 3.5kg but anything under 5kg is normal. Of course, this is based upon Western numbers...
answerer
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby david » 01 Aug 2004, 21:32

My (mixed) son was 4080g. The chinese birth certificate actually had the phrase 'giant baby' written on it - so it is quite uncommon in Taiwan for a baby this big!

I guess you're examining your views on Caesarians ... if the mother is asking for it, a lot of doctors will agree to a caesarian as a 'medical necessity' if you're over 4kg (i.e. cost of it will be covered by normal national insurance). [Note that Taiwan is a bit out of step with the rest of the world when it comes to Caesarians and childbirth in general: about 1 in 3 Taiwanese mums have caesarians, compared to about 1 in 10 in the UK]

Edit: Taiwan normal weight is between 2.5 and 3.5kg.
Forumosan avatar
david
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

Postby bob » 01 Aug 2004, 22:04

Gee, I wonder why that is.
bob
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

21 Recognized(s)

Postby answerer » 02 Aug 2004, 00:01

Asian women are often unable to deliver naturally due to narrow/non-existent hips...that might explain the high incidence of c-section. Of course, it could also be that women these days are reluctant to endure the pain.
answerer

Postby daasgrrl » 02 Aug 2004, 09:34

Sounds big - not huge for a Western baby but that would still be considered on the large side. A baby over 4kg is regarded as 'macrosomic' (one in 10 babies in the US, so not all that rare there, maybe rarer here) hence possibly the 'giant baby' was a more literal description :)

-You could ask your own parents about your family's birth weights - that could have a bearing on it even though on her side they're low. However, usually small mother = small baby.

-A better nourished baby will be slightly bigger than if the mother smoked, ate badly, etc.

-Things like gestational diabetes can cause large babies, although she should have been screened for that.

- The estimation of a baby's weight pre-birth is an art, not a science. I can't remember the error rate they gave me, but I thought it was of the order of +-20%!!! It's at least 10%.

-Caesarean might be recommended by your doctor depending on the circumstances.

Note: For (complete) pain management in a straightforward birth, an epidural is perfectly good for most women - you don't need to have a Caesar just for that reason. A Caesarian, despite being routine nowadays, actually counts as major surgery, and the recovery time is maybe double that of a vaginal birth, if not longer.

As for the actual mixed race baby question, I don't know if that has any specific impact. Good luck! :)
Hotel Forumosa: Still looking for the exits...
Forumosan avatar
daasgrrl
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby TNT » 02 Aug 2004, 09:59

answerer wrote:Asian women are often unable to deliver naturally due to narrow/non-existent hips...that might explain the high incidence of c-section. Of course, it could also be that women these days are reluctant to endure the pain.

The fee for C section as against a natural birth is higher. Maybe a lot of hosptials just want to appear to generate more revenue, so a push for a C section when not really needed

Alot of C sections come from what the fortune teller tells them.. baby must be born this day and this hour cause its lucky and thus has a direct influence on the rest of their life

I also think that nature would have adapted for the Taiwanese female chassis thus reducing the problem of narrow hips. If Taiwanese hips are narrow it is for a reason other than creating the market for a C section
Nuair a bhíonn an fíon istigh,
bíonn an ciall amuigh
TNT
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Re: average baby weight for mixed race baby

Postby TNT » 02 Aug 2004, 10:12

dix2111 wrote:I guess the subject says it all.

my pregnant (Chinese) is freaking out because so far, with 1 more week to go before delivery, the baby weighs almost 4000grams. my wife's brother(not a stocking lad) was about 2200. she is afraid that she's going to deliver a baby elephant. I think 4000grams is a bit on the large side but still normalish. since I use this forum for all my life decisions I thought you could give some free medicl advice.

depends on your wife's frame also... my mother was big boned and tall .. I weighed 4.3 KGs when I was born.. she was so heavy and big with me that they thought she was going to have the kids and the grand kids at the same time :)

Talk to the doctor.. and grill him or her.. my wife is pregnant and anytime I go there I give the doctor a good Q&A session.

Find out any possibility that a baby can be heavier and go through this with him.. just for peace of mind.

There are medical reasons for having a heavier baby, but almost always it as simple as the baby is just bigger.. there is an average weight for a new born baby but there is also a large deviation in weight for healthy babies ( healthy babies can be lighter or heavier)... you cannot compare your brother's, sister's, brother in law, sister in law's babies' weights to your baby

In her case as a precaution they may advise you to have a C section
Nuair a bhíonn an fíon istigh,
bíonn an ciall amuigh
TNT
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

3.75kg

Postby Satellite TV » 02 Aug 2004, 15:10

My son was 3.75kg and 56cm long at birth... a natural birth.....

There was no danger of complications.... except that the wifey said it hurt like hell....

I was think as my sons head was coming out... that's gotta hurt... but I didn't feel a thing...

Go for a natural birth and breast feed the little tyke... a healthy child will result...
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby david » 02 Aug 2004, 16:22

Sounds big - not huge for a Western baby but that would still be considered on the large side. A baby over 4kg is regarded as 'macrosomic' (one in 10 babies in the US, so not all that rare there, maybe rarer here) hence possibly the 'giant baby' was a more literal description :)

NOOOOOOO! You're telling me that the correct translation is just some weird technical term that noone understands, and not 'giant baby' afterall? But I've been telling everyone how my son's first words were "Fee ... Fi ... Fo ... Fum .." :)
Forumosan avatar
david

Next

x

Return to Health and Fitness